Skip to main content

Perkins Pain

More
4 years 11 months ago #200630 by cobbadog
Replied by cobbadog on topic Perkins Pain
If a transplant is in the pipeline then 'cock it up' and away you go but, start gathering up the heart and pieces to put it in. Not sure if these engines actually do have welsh plugs but by replacing them with brass or similar then the engine block and head rot away. As inhibitor is cheap, real cheap use it as well.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 years 11 months ago #200634 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic Perkins Pain
They got plugs,never known one to leak,never replaced one......and I ve never seen a old 354 with corrosion inside.......they were made of nickle chrome molybdenum iron,noted for its resistance to corrosion in blocks.........Continental used the same iron,and advertized it on the block......not Perkins.....the quiet achiever........all my Perks just got a topup from the hose every morning ...........no possibility of running out of water......not like modern stuff where someone is crying he cooked his motor ,even though the temperature never rose ,and the water level alarm never went off..............the guy a couple of houses down the back street had a Perkins Inter tipper for years ,then he got a hankerin for a Mack..........nothing but costly repairs nearly broke him,only way he could get out of the truck was to buy a new S Line and trade it.

More
4 years 11 months ago #200635 by Sarge
Replied by Sarge on topic Perkins Pain
Funny thing about the corrosion, in photo 4 you can see inside the head and it's not all sludge n corn flakes. I need to get back into the shed and do the flush out, all hoses off.

Welsh plug just below this flat plate, in the block.

I got the first post to reappear by looking at the post in General Topics instead of recent topics, Terry is having a look at the problem, it's a bit involved.

Sarge B)
ACCO Owner, Atkinson dreamer.

More
4 years 11 months ago - 4 years 11 months ago #200642 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic Perkins Pain
I scrapped just about all the Perkins stuff I had ,a whole old trailer load,about 4 year ago,none of the blocks were corroded..........they never get the water outlets wasted away like GMs,in fact I cant remember ever doing anything to a Perk except waterpump seals and bearings........the series 4 motors do have a few issues,mainly the stud sleeves in the heads,otherwise never repaired one specifically for water corrosion...........now 711 Macks is another matter.........had the block behind the waterpump break away,and blocks pinholed thru into the dry liners,and crack when new liners were put in.......it was also common for Mack blocks to break away at the housing with quad boxes........got one in the yard with a massive nickle weld in it....Incredible job,done by Bryants in the Valley,Bris.
Last edit: 4 years 11 months ago by Sarge.

More
4 years 11 months ago #200730 by Sarge
Replied by Sarge on topic Perkins Pain
The Pain has passed..... it only took two days to get the bottom hose off the radiator, thought it would mean taking the radiator out to do it. Took the grill out to get at the front edge of the hose with a suitable pokem n bashem... dirty water in the face as you would expect (twice... 2nd time to drain the cleaner stuff)... made good use of 20 minute run time to deliver a flagpole to a mate up the road, seven metre poles dont fit on a tandem, he had waited a couple a years. :silly:

Sarge B)
ACCO Owner, Atkinson dreamer.

Time to create page: 0.476 seconds