Skip to main content

rmodel mack 1966

More
14 years 3 months ago #21138 by rmodelsteve
Replied by rmodelsteve on topic Re: rmodel mack 1966
hi jeff tryed to ring you yesterday

The fibreglass bonnet was being developed in the US as early as 64/65, and being used at least on Mack Trucks own test vehicles. In Australia the very 1st R models delivered were steel fronted, but f/glass bonnetted R's were delivered here as early as 1966. Up to 1970 many R's had f/glass bonnets. However it appears that steel was the preference. This is what my research has indicated to me.... Jeff.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

14 years 3 months ago #21139 by
Replied by on topic Re: rmodel mack 1966
Found The info i got from the states years ago about R600 chassis No's

R 609 65-79......8,041
R 609 R 66-72...72.429

R 611 65- 1988-- 21,084

so they most probably did have the glass bonnet
here . In the early ones probably customer choice......

More
14 years 3 months ago #21140 by bigcam
Replied by bigcam on topic Re: rmodel mack 1966

Hi Steve

How do you get away with driving it with no rear guards you have them if you drive it bob tail or even pull a trailer. Dave

Dave, in Brisbane it might attract a bit of attention, but Allora would be pretty safe, I wouldn't want to cross the border though,NSW is something else.

More
14 years 3 months ago #21141 by bigcam
Replied by bigcam on topic Re: rmodel mack 1966
As far as I know you could get the glass bonnets here,but they all thought they would be too flimsy.I think I read in the Leader book that the Flintstone sheet metal was locally made as well.

14 years 3 months ago #21142 by
Replied by on topic Re: rmodel mack 1966
Initially it was all imported, and towards the 70's Mack Trucks Australia strived for local content. Pressed steel body panels, sleeper cabins, some tanks and bracketry were the first to be produced. In the early 70's they even started to have castings produced here. Jeff.

More
14 years 3 months ago - 14 years 3 months ago #21143 by Tatra
Replied by Tatra on topic Re: rmodel mack 1966

As far as I know you could get the glass bonnets here,but they all thought they would be too flimsy.I think I read in the Leader book that the Flintstone sheet metal was locally made as well.

Cam, I just realized you mentioned this on the other thread ( www.hcvc.com.au/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1251663286/0 (shameless bumping here)) but forgot due to a senility attack... The weird thing is, when R600s started being exported to Israel, the powers that be thought the same, although Leyland Ashdod was building complete cabs from GRP at this time. Also down under I believe you had the Atkinson GRP cabs, so I'm not sure why Mack was so afraid to introduce GRP into the market :-?

Staradair: South America is full of older iron and some of the stuff is actually well preserved and works for living which, considering the conditions, is a testimonial to how well US trucks used to be built. I reckon someone has a very good business exporting all manner of non-electronic engines from the US...

Cheers,

T
Last edit: 14 years 3 months ago by Tatra.

More
14 years 2 months ago #21144 by stradair
Replied by stradair on topic Re: rmodel mack 1966
An older MACK,a NR14 still in use in Germany,but just for exhibitions.
[IMG

More
14 years 2 months ago #21145 by disco
Replied by disco on topic Re: rmodel mack 1966
Geez rmodel it would look good down Colac way over easter

Time to create page: 0.439 seconds