Skip to main content

Who remembers Vaughan Transport

More
4 years 2 weeks ago - 4 years 2 weeks ago #209005 by Rattail 1927

I was wandering through eBay as I do and was looking for a genuine operator manual for my t-line and acco , and come across Vaughans trailer. , that’s the second time I’ve seen one of his vans behind a international ad , looking at the number plate this truck wasn’t just stuck in front of the trailer, it’s even got IS plates on it .
You used to get stuck behind them every now and then, they’d be in all 200hp trucks 2150 accos , 1418 s , all his work was cubic but the massive flat front of the vans negated any gain of his light loads these poor old blokes , I think they used to one a week to Brisbane, Melbourne, and apparently his money was less than average I was told.....some of the old timers will fill in the rest and correct my boo boo’s
Attachments:
Last edit: 4 years 2 weeks ago by Rattail 1927.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 years 2 weeks ago - 4 years 2 weeks ago #209010 by IHScout
Two of my brothers subbed for them at different times. Can't find any photos at the moment, except this one I of some unknown stubbies truck that I pirated off Facebook a while ago.

Dennis
Attachments:
Last edit: 4 years 2 weeks ago by IHScout.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH, Rattail 1927

More
4 years 2 weeks ago #209012 by wee-allis
In the '70s they had a yard just off Hill Street, Lidcombe in Sydney. I recall one night I had to take one of Lindsay's Macks around there to have the weight checked as it was bloody heavy.

Their scales at the time went to 28 ton. They could only weigh the steer axle. the rest were over weight for the scales. Never the less, the load went north that night untouched. From memory it was 2 slabs of steel, 36 feet by 8 feet by about 6 inches thick. Those smarter than me could probably work out the weight.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rattail 1927

More
4 years 2 weeks ago #209013 by Rattail 1927
What a ripper story, I’m sure some one else here son More.

More
4 years 2 weeks ago - 4 years 2 weeks ago #209014 by Rattail 1927
Great picture. I’m sure the fb people won’t mind! That’s the third international pulling one of there trailers. , I went back through all the brochures and of course I can’t find it , young drivers now whinge about having to drive a 550hp truck... any way .
Last edit: 4 years 2 weeks ago by Rattail 1927.

More
4 years 2 weeks ago #209022 by Blackduck59
36ft x 8 ft x 6"comes in around 32 tonne.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wee-allis

More
4 years 2 weeks ago #209024 by roKWiz
Used to be a couple of their trailers laid up around Millawa, Vic. not that long ago.

Heritage Stonemason
In order that the labour of centuries past may not be in vain during the centuries to come... D. Did

More
4 years 2 weeks ago #209025 by Rattail 1927
I know they folded up , does anyone know?

More
4 years 2 weeks ago #209032 by overnite
Low rates was an understatement., deep pockets also. 200hp would have been a dream. I had a mate that used to work at Comet with me who then bought a new D2F Dodge (Only 185? HP, downhill with a tailwind), to subbie for Vaughans. Didn’t take long for the finance company to come and take it. I’ve lost contact with him over the years, I’d like to catch up, his name is Dennis Fraile, originally from Wentworthville NSW, last I heard he was around Warwick Qld. Approximately 73 years old.

More
4 years 2 weeks ago #209034 by Rattail 1927
I used to take cattle to Oakey in qld and you would come across one sitting on 70 kph and if they had a head I could only imagine, mind you I had a 3070 with a natural power 903 , with a 15 over drive road ranger, bloody so I was never able to hold top gear with with a crate on , I’d be looking to get the tipper on , it was a bit better, I ended up traded it in on a S-LINE with a 350 small cam .....

Time to create page: 0.618 seconds