Skip to main content

Who remembers Vaughan Transport

More
4 years 2 weeks ago #209035 by wee-allis
Thanks for that 59 Ducks, but remember the load was 2 slabs of steel. Not bad on a Flintstone.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 years 2 weeks ago #209036 by Blackduck59
Was not sure with his around 6" high whether he meant both or each. Either way easy maths.
Cheers Steve

More
4 years 2 weeks ago #209040 by PaulFH
Think their Melbourne yard was near Freighter's old factory Moorabbin,
Warrigal Rd. and Wickham Rd. vicinity. Old boss used to pull trailers to
Adelaide for them with cubic freight, before my time ( 1976 ). Had a 760 Dodge,
CD1800 Inter with C160 Cummins, and D2F Dodge with 653 GM.
Light strap trailers - popular for registering trucks then to minimise tare.
He gave the job away and subbied for A R Neils and later TNT Country Express.
Don't think any rates were too flash in those days.
Cubico had similar light freight contracts, some double dropdeck trailers.
Wish I had a camera with me then, like Overlander. Paul.

More
4 years 2 weeks ago #209041 by PaulFH
Looked them up, was in Keys Rd. Moorabbin then at Cambelfield.
Lot of photos from 1988 - 1989 on Vaughan Transport [ Flickr
Happy browsing, Paul.

More
4 years 2 weeks ago - 4 years 2 weeks ago #209057 by V8Ian
IIRC Vaughans got swallowed up by Cubico/Brambles.
It was always prudent to follow a Vaughans, when possible, approaching any sort of checkpoint, sure as, they'd be the one pulles in. :whistle:
The poor bastards with flat tops and gates all the way to the sky, had to spend all day running round town, delivering then picking up freight, before heading off to drive all night.
The rates wouldn't cover the fuel bill in trucks of 200+hp! That's why all the subbies were running ancient, busted-arse gear. Blokes with trucks on the never-never, couldn't afford to stay but couldn't afford to go as they wouldn't be able to get work for their decrepit old shitboxes with any other transport outfits.
Last edit: 4 years 2 weeks ago by V8Ian.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rattail 1927

More
4 years 2 weeks ago #209059 by Dave_64
Wow! A blast from the past! Very first interstate trip ever was in a mates single drive BMC with a 185 Crummins. 10 speed bushranger and 2 speed axle! Needed every one of em pulling a wide spread bogie with Red Tulip chocolates. Melb depot wasn't that far from Eastoes in Keys Rd

More
4 years 2 weeks ago #209063 by injector jack
In 1970 I did an Adelaide- Sydney trip off siding for a subbie that hauled for Vaughans. His gig was to hand load a full load of cartons of San Remo pasta into the pan at the Ward Street North Adelaide factory every Friday Afternoon and be in Sydney with it on Monday and hope that Vaughan's would have a back load to Adelaide organized to load on Tuesday and keep the routine going. Often the back load was just Styrofoam packaging which didn't pay too good because of no weight. But some times if an Adelaide load wasn't available , it was load for Melbourne, unload, which was generally delivered to the customer rather than at the depot, then load again, sometimes with Firestone tyres, or else empty back to Adelaide, didn't matter to Vaughan's just so long as that truck was back at San Remo on Friday afternoon in time to be loaded before knock off time. We were in a 1923 cab over Benz .

More
4 years 1 week ago #209171 by Sarge
some more pirate bounty thanks to the pikcha taker n poster. (maybe even off the forum)

Sarge B)
ACCO Owner, Atkinson dreamer.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH

More
4 years 1 week ago #209173 by Lang
Always thought those step tank Inters were the prettiest truck of all time.

Lang
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, wee-allis

More
4 years 1 week ago #209176 by JOHN.K.
Step tanks are gold now.....I converted a set to tool boxes ...they were off the Coffey and Co AB 180 still rotting away in the back yard......Everything I ever touched turned to s****t.

Time to create page: 0.527 seconds