Skip to main content

Single axle semi trailer, flat deck or extendable

More
2 years 3 months ago #230296 by Brad
Trailer left rear, showing a bit of the axle and the box thingy on chassis, same on other side bu t has a large hook attached, maybe just strengthening for tie downs.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
2 years 3 months ago #230297 by Brad
Upside down Miss Jane.
Axle nameplate:
ROR - Rubery Owen Rockwell
Type: UT2010/0
Capacity: 20000
Serial No. RLG73778-75

More
2 years 3 months ago #230298 by paulc20

hayseed

Given the paint Colour I reckon it originally belonged to the Sydney County Council... BISTBC

Spot on I'd say. Repainted a few times in probably the same colour, top coat a bit faded.

Thanks for this, it gave me some clues to research. I thought it odd that "Energy Australia" being an electricity generator and retailer would have this kind of trailer. As it happens:

Sydney County Council 1935 to 1991 (oddly named as they were formed to produce electricity and operate the network (distribution). This was abolissh and NSW Gov formed:
Sydney Electricity 1991 - 1996 , there were various megers with other entities and in 1996 renamed:
Energy Australia 1996 - 2011 (?)
2010 Energy Australia sold the retail business and naming rights to TRU Energy
2011 former Energy Australia business renamed to Ausgrid (i.e. includes distribution and other assets remaining after sale of EA retail)
2012 TRU Energy renamed to Energy Australia

click Sydney County Council (wiki)

Actually not oddly named at all/ NSW had many County Council as Electricity Distributors and suppliers, I did my apprenticeship at one, Southern Mitchell County Council, there were many other County Councils including Ophir, Shortland, Illawarra etc
Paul
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brad

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
2 years 3 months ago #230301 by Swishy
cupla pix of our Fruehauf Extendable lockn pins

cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH, Brad

More
2 years 3 months ago #230308 by jeffo
Paul’s correct about the steel sizes. Most big sections stayed unchanged.
You have to remember beam sizes varied according to mass per metre, so a 310UB40 had different dimensions to a 310UB46 and so on.
Channels were a give away as they stayed with tapered flanges well into the 80’s, then hard changed to parallel flanged metric sizes.
For many years the Aus. sections ran parallel to what we called imported sections from Japan and Korea. They were hard metric sizes with thin webs and flanges typically more narrow than our sections.
McGrath was the only c9mpany I knew of way back that went to imported beams with their light weight offering having UB main beams instead of their well known heavy pressed channel Hi Tensile trailers.

More
2 years 3 months ago #230318 by mammoth
So it is a pole trailer.
Around 1947 there were only local distributors and County Councils were amalgamations of operations up to that time run by Municipal and Shire Councils. The infrastructure was built with government loans but paid back through consumer charges.

More
2 years 3 months ago #230319 by hayseed
Brad, Just out of curiousity, What do you intend to do with It..???

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

More
2 years 3 months ago #230326 by PaulFH
Brad, can see "Kembla" rolled into web of front RHS beam on an earlier photo.
Might help to date the build.
Might also be, Eg, 12" x 6 1/2" x 27 Lb. or similar rolled into the web.
If Metric beams, would be 310UB40 or similar rolled in.
Have a look along each side of the beam webs for other marks.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brad

More
2 years 3 months ago - 2 years 3 months ago #230327 by Brad
I'll try to get to all your questions, starting near the beginning.

Why a single axle and extending??
In Qld on a rigid license you can tow any trailer with GVM 9 tonnes. It's not spelt out anywhere but GVM of a trailer would have to be it's GTM. In general, single axle is going to be 9 tonne.
Now this is my interpretation of the rules but it lines up with answers I've typically got from Gov transport customer service.

I may be using the wrong terminology with "extending", maybe it's "retractable". I don't need or want oversize. As compact as possible for storage and a bit easier to maneuver in tight spots (may not be an issue , but towing a semi will be a learning curve for me) . I'll have the flexibility to carry more if needed (load weight limited of course).

... can be lucky and score a tired but useable 40' tandem for $3.5k

Probably a smarter option but won't fit in the space I've got whenever I have it stored or to work on at home.

Extendables involve a lot of engineering, maintenence ...

Now you got me worried :-), until now I've been blissfully ignorant!

Your pole trailer looks a bit like a container skel, would one of those be as easy to make up for your purpose?

When I initially missed out on this trailer I started looking at skels, particularly seen quite a few different configurations around the Port of Brisbane since I've been working out that way.
Last edit: 2 years 3 months ago by Brad. Reason: Removed emoticon that didn't show properly.

More
2 years 3 months ago #230329 by Brad

Just hide it behind the garage. No one will know.
This would work, I could even hide it in plain site. One of my mates didn't see the SWB single drive Louisville (LN8000) parked to the side of my driveway in the front yard.

Time to create page: 0.530 seconds