Skip to main content

R U OK?

More
3 years 7 months ago #214829 by Morris
Replied by Morris on topic R U OK?
Two experiences:-
Most recent:-
For a couple of years I have been helping a mate twenty minutes away rebuild his factory sized shed and set up a workshop. No doubt you have seen me mention it so many times you are sick of it but we are now at a stage where there is nothing else I can do for a while so did not go there for a week. I found I lacked motivation to do most jobs around the house so went back for the last two days. I just pottered around, took my latest Morris for a test drive and achieved very little but I feel so much better for it. After I got home in the evening I repaired a leaking garden hose timer, replaced a spindle in another tap, mowed the lawn and attended a virtual car club meeting on the computer.
Spending two days with a mate his Wife and dog plus another mate of my mate worked wonders.

Older problem:-
Towards the end of 1982 I got a job with a multinational professional firm. They advertised for somebody who had some Accounting knowledge but was prepared to do physical work as well. It soon turned out that they really wanted an Accountant with five years experience who was prepared to do physical work (cleaning out premises of closed-down businesses, taking vehicles to dealers to get offers to purchase, contacting and supervising auctioneers etc.) and was prepared to accept wages much lower than those an Accountant gets. Their slogan was "Our People are our Greatest Asset" that meant the people with a university degree are our greatest asset. I am not an accountant and did not go to university so I was treated as a second-class employee. Our Firm was "Merged" (taken over) by another multi-national firm and the department I worked in ceased to exist. I was offered a choice of working on the telephone switchboard or becoming a filing clerk. I took the filing job on the understanding that the "Personnel Manageress" would make every effort to find me a more suitable job. I hated the job and became more and more unhappy. I asked the Personnel department several times for another job and went to several unsucessful job interviews with other Companies. My Doctor gave me certificates for days off work because of stress.
I searched for business to start or buy but to get enough money I had to wait until my Wife became unhappy with the way her job was going so we could sell our house. We bought a small country motel with the understanding that we would have to do all the work ourselves because we would not be able to pay wages. We had less money than before and it all went to the bank to pay off the mortgage. One year we had a much better year than others and I worked out we were earning a massive $2.80 per hour each. It all went to the bank. After thirteen years we sold out and at the age of almost 70 I retired.
So yes depression is real. It is often caused by stress and Yes it did happen to me not an anonymous acquaintance.

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!
The following user(s) said Thank You: IHScout, allan, PaulFH, Zuffen

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 years 7 months ago #214842 by 77louie400
Replied by 77louie400 on topic R U OK?
Morris you have had a tough row to hoe, I hope you keep getting on with helping your mates and keep on top of it, both my kids suffer with depression and I know how tough it can be sometimes, I have been lucky in that I seem to to be able to to change jobs and careers like I change my under pants and stay on top of it, but I do feel for those that can't, at present I have a few problems with the cancer mongrel, and am not allowed to do much, but if I did not spend the day in the shed fixing old bikes and trucks I feel I would lose it. I am going to have a crack at going back to work the end of next week before it drives me mad.
The following user(s) said Thank You: IHScout, Morris, PaulFH, Zuffen

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.394 seconds