Skip to main content

Gearbox Find

More
3 years 5 months ago - 3 years 5 months ago #216942 by Abbuss
Gearbox Find was created by Abbuss
Hi Guys,I found this little gear box in a wreckers yard. The owner says it is a five speed overdrive with an odd shift pattern, I recognized enough on the chassis to see it is a International 510A the same as mine. The tail shaft is the same length as mine so it must have been an option at the time. Mine is fitted with the four speed T17 (New Process 435) This one in the wreckers looks very much like a New Process box with the power takeoff on the left side and the Toothed Gear P insignia .It has a small electrical connection on top of the box presumably for a reverse alarm and it has a heavy electrical two terminal connection on the right side ? Numbers on the box are.
C 96752
F 6/7/78 B
I would like to identify it for potential use before making the effort to recover it from stuck under some very heavy stuff on the tail shaft. Any clues from where to source ratios and what it might be worth to buy would be very welcome. And would the diff be a different ratio. Mine has a 4.3 ratio but I dont know if there are identification numbers somewhere on the diff. I will send pics as soon as I convert them to jpg Thanks in advance Abbuss
Attachments:
Last edit: 3 years 5 months ago by IHScout.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 years 5 months ago #216945 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic Gearbox Find
Here is everything you need to know on this forum.

www.hcvc.com.au/forum/restore/16526-phot...-transmission-wanted
The following user(s) said Thank You: Abbuss

More
3 years 5 months ago #216947 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic Gearbox Find
Its a 4 speed ,so unless its $50 or so ,.....your 4.3 dif ratio is the highest available.......the 4x4 s had the 4.88 rear diff ratio.

More
3 years 5 months ago - 3 years 5 months ago #216948 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic Gearbox Find
Much more detail here.
www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/transmissions/manual/np435/

Looks like it could be one of the many variations of the np435 box.
Last edit: 3 years 5 months ago by Lang.

More
3 years 5 months ago #216961 by Abbuss
Replied by Abbuss on topic Gearbox Find
Thanks Lang and all I have since found the post on this forum with the 5 speed shift patterns and data ( NP542 D Dave64 11 Apr 2019 ) I guess I will pull it out and wind it over to check if it is an overdrive.

More
3 years 5 months ago #216962 by Abbuss
Replied by Abbuss on topic Gearbox Find
Thanks Lang and all,I have found the post on this forum with the 5 speed shift patterns and data .I will pull it out and check the ratios.

More
3 years 5 months ago #216970 by JOHN.K.
The 5 speed NP were fitted to Dodges .....I have samples of both types.....including a near new box used to power a chook feed mill ,elevator and distributor........paid the princely sum of $15 for it at a clearing sale ,and sold the chookfeed mill to another bidder,got the gearbox free.......None of the Dodges ever had OD boxes,in fact I have never seen a OD NP box of any kind.......and I have worked on dozens of them........incidentally ,the box pictured couldnt stand the power of the 345 V8,and first gear would fail by tooth disintegration .....IH replaced some under warranty with a larger 4 speed with a helical constant mesh !st gear......I believe Dave has one for his projects.

More
3 years 5 months ago #216987 by ihc partsman
Replied by ihc partsman on topic Gearbox Find
The gearbox you are referring to John, was the 4590 which was synchro on first. It was not widely used by International,we saw them first in ACCO1710B's. It did not prove to be very reliable from what we saw and parts were very hard to get for them, I would think, impossible now. I am not aware that they were ever fitted to 510A's or 410A's, nor the smaller C and D Line trucks. the T17 (NP435) is quoted as 10.7 inches long. ratios are (1) 6.68, (2) 3.34, (3) 1.66 and (4) 1.00. A lot of times, first gear disintegration was caused by worn and badly adjusted linkages in the ACCO's which in turn, did not allow full teeth engagement. The same problem happened to the Rockwell T223 in the ACCO 4x4's ( 610a, 1810, 1830, 1850 ) where the cables would stretch over time and only allowed half the low sliding gear to engage. sometimes splitting the main case.

More
3 years 5 months ago - 3 years 5 months ago #216988 by JOHN.K.
One interesting quirk which you may recall was that during the bankruptcy period ,IH use the bellhousing from a Roadranger redrilled to suit the Eaton 475SMA box,and due to the unsuitability of this housing ,many gearboxes had failures......including one I know of that fell out in the road........i very nearly had a costly fail with one of these housings,and quickly discovered to use red loctite on the nuts and bolts ,if the gearbox was to stay in the truck.
Last edit: 3 years 5 months ago by JOHN.K..

More
3 years 5 months ago #216999 by ihc partsman
Replied by ihc partsman on topic Gearbox Find
International had a lot to answer for when the ACCO-A first arrived, in late 1972. We had failures within a week of new truck deliveries. They obviously rushed the completion and release of the new model and the accelerator cable system did not get fully tested. Trucks were broken down as this flimsy cable failed. The fix was a box with a conversion to full linkage set up.

Time to create page: 0.560 seconds