Skip to main content

1962 Dodge AT4

More
2 years 10 months ago #222878 by PaulFH
Replied by PaulFH on topic 1962 Dodge AT4
Agree with John K. The 318 truck motor will do what you want.
Savings on more complex conversions will pay for a lot of fuel.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
2 years 10 months ago #222881 by 600Dodge
Replied by 600Dodge on topic 1962 Dodge AT4
i would be surprised if the 5 speed in the inter was overdrive
The following user(s) said Thank You: Boggy

More
2 years 10 months ago #222882 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic 1962 Dodge AT4
In my experience ,if you can find the motor from a 78 or so Dodge,it will have the Carter super economy carb and ELB,and use no more fuel than a 6/354 Perkins. in the same truck.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH, Tassie Dan

More
2 years 10 months ago #222890 by Boggy
Replied by Boggy on topic 1962 Dodge AT4
Great. I will look further into it. Is $1500 a good price?

Mamoth: Yes, he was telling me that he, Goebles next door to him and a lot of "old style" wreckers around the state have been served. It seems that they dont want old vehicles sitting out side any more. They all must be stripped and the parts stored. Damn shame really. I would love a paddock like his.

Yes. It appears to be broken.

More
2 years 10 months ago #222923 by Sarge
Replied by Sarge on topic 1962 Dodge AT4
Boggy, I am not sure if I have bend rea d ing your thread right, but you can't actually say 110 kph and Perkins in the same sentence unless it is down a really steep hill. I have a perky. 6.354 in an ACCO with 5 spd O/D 2 spd diff, it will make 110, but being a Perkins it senses all hills and headwinds well in advance and automatically slows in anticipation, sometimes 3 days in advance.

Back when your truck was new the fast trucks were the V8 petrol paper trucks.... just hide an lp gas tank inside your step tanks.

Sarge B)
ACCO Owner, Atkinson dreamer.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Boggy

More
2 years 10 months ago #222927 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic 1962 Dodge AT4
I had an IH 110 panel van with a 354 in it,and with the high ratio Spicer diff,maybe 3.5 ,not sure ,long time ago......It would easily do 70 mph ,and go up any hill in top ....But my 1300 with a Perk and a bit heavier ,the 4.3 diff would be good for 100ks at 2800 revs....if higher geared it would have done a bit more,but in Ist was struggling sometimes with the loads I used to put on it.......it broke a uni first 10 miles with the Perk ,and I had to replace the whole tailshaft with 1600 bits........Fortunately IH stuff is all mix and match.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Boggy

More
2 years 10 months ago #222932 by Boggy
Once I get the Acco home I will do some measuring and see if I feel comfortable doing the swap. By the sounds, it is a massive job to put the 354 into a Dodge. I would like to run a diesel motor but the 318 is sounding like it will be a better deal.
Depending on what comes attached to the engine (dizzy/carb/starter) etc I am thinking $1500 sounds like a reasonable price.

More
2 years 10 months ago #222969 by Mrsmackpaul
Replied by Mrsmackpaul on topic 1962 Dodge AT4
Somethings to maybe think about, I have never found 6354 Perkins to be gutless, there is however lots of different settings for the injector pump and Im pretty sure injectors and the right injector shop and a motor in good order will make a huge difference
If you decide not to go that route and stick with a petrol maybe a Holley style fuel injection system that also measures whats going out the exhaust and you can tune with your laptop for the best fuel economy

Petrol motors from my limited experience will use more fuel no matter how well I try and tune them

The Perkins 6354 is up there in the top 3 small diesel motors of all time for power economy and reliability, this is just my opinion and is based on my experience not knowledge

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Lang, oliver1950, Boggy

More
2 years 10 months ago #222971 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic 1962 Dodge AT4
I agree Paul, the Perkins is a wonderful engine.

I think the problem is people get carried away with with "fitting a diesel" for whatever reason and criticise a motor that plainly says - 120hp - on the box for being gutless.

The water gets further muddied when an old school conventional diesel (not a modern high speed low compression intercooled turbocharged type) is put into an unsuitable vehicle. Old school diesels are for trucks not light vehicles. They succeed with their low rev range high torque for load pulling. They are noisy, rattly and slow on response compared to a petrol engine.

Putting an old school diesel into a light vehicle is only a engineering exercise to make it sound good or, debatably, increase reliability. As we have already discussed in the long run it will never be a money saving exercise re fuel consumption.

People can justify until the cows come home but for a light vehicle a diesel will never be as responsive, smooth, quiet or kg for kg as powerful as a petrol engine. Even the modern all-singing, all-dancing big diesels in trucks like RAMs are noisy rattling lumps.

Swapping out a petrol V8 in your C1800 International for a Perkins - will work well albeit with less power! Changing a petrol V8 or 6 in your C1100 to C1300 for a Perkins will be disappointing.

Just my opinion.

Lang
The following user(s) said Thank You: Morris, Tassie Dan

More
2 years 10 months ago #222972 by Boggy
I am starting with a slant 6 so I guess either would be an improvement lol. I am not knocking the slant motor, It just doesn't have the torque for what I want it to do.

Time to create page: 0.482 seconds