Skip to main content

AT4 68 Dodge 775

More
2 years 9 months ago #223335 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic AT4 68 Dodge 775
To stay on spiders with hydraulic brakes ,the option would be a #4 Eaton from an Inter 184.....then you would need to buy a higher ratio gearset and have it fitted.......Late bonneted Inters also had the two speed Rockwells ,and parts book lists higher ratios,but Ive never found a Dodge and Inter Rockwell cnntre that would interchange.......very annoying when someone wants parts ,the two diffs look the same,but arent.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DanielJ

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
2 years 9 months ago #223342 by DanielJ
Replied by DanielJ on topic AT4 68 Dodge 775
Hi John, thanks for the reply, would be from a AB 184 inter?

More
2 years 9 months ago #223344 by JOHN.K.
If you can find the bits,some Commers had a 5.14 /7.14 ratio #3 Eaton......and as we all know ,any #3 Eaton centre will fit any other #3 axle,side gear splines are the same .......so find a Commer with a 5.14 gearset.....it will be in a 8stud wheel with a knocker motor,.....stick it in an IH #3 axle ....182 s have a #3 ,and a 182 spider back end will be a whole lot cheaper than a #4 from a 184...due to the Cummins fan boys.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
2 years 9 months ago #223360 by DanielJ
Awesome thanks John, I'll start having a hunt around. I posted a pic of the ID on mine on page 1. The ratio reads 6 16 7 66. Is that read as low 6:16 and high 7:66?

More
2 years 9 months ago #223366 by JOHN.K.
Ther way round.....I reckon 6.16 is a pretty good diff ratio for a 318 on 20s.....if you go any higher,youll be dropping a cog every hill or bit of headwind.......best fuel economy is always to stay in one gear,top being most efficient........with a overdrive box,noise may be reduced ,but you wont save any fuel ,because the indirect gears are taking at least 10% of engine power,and increasing fuel burn by a similar percentage...........To gear up what youve got now,consider a set of tubeless tyres and rims......the 22.5 rims will fit on the spiders same as 20s,and you can probably fit wider spacers to get the tyre spacing right,if necessary ......Just so long as the inner tyre clears the chassis/springs,then the outer can be spaced out.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, Urchy87, Tassie Dan, DanielJ

More
2 years 9 months ago #223371 by DanielJ
Ok cool!!! I'll check out the hi/low selector on the diff, might be stuck in low!!! LOL.I have just picked up another truck so I'll put the diff on the backburner for now and get the cab swapped over and freshen up the motor . Should keep me busy for the next few months.

More
2 years 9 months ago #223380 by Sarge
Replied by Sarge on topic AT4 68 Dodge 775
Come on Daniel, before you go get dirty and forget, ......we gotta have some purrty pikchas of these TWO trucks what you snuck home.

Just sayin. ...

Sarge B)
ACCO Owner, Atkinson dreamer.

More
2 years 9 months ago - 2 years 9 months ago #223393 by DanielJ
Here a few pics, I'll get a few more when the weather is better.
Attachments:
Last edit: 2 years 9 months ago by DanielJ.
The following user(s) said Thank You: IHScout, cobbadog, Tassie Dan

More
2 years 9 months ago - 2 years 9 months ago #223394 by DanielJ
2 more
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: IHScout, cobbadog

More
2 years 9 months ago - 2 years 9 months ago #223403 by DanielJ
Hi All, Is there a noticeable difference between hi/ lo on the diff? I have just taken her around the block ( maybe a few times) In hi then I stopped selected low and didn't notice anything. I would think at a minimum there would be a rev difference on take off. I am thinking maybe the selector maybe dicky or something. Can you hear or feel a change if your at the diff and got a little helper to select hi/low?

Time to create page: 0.617 seconds