Skip to main content

Driver sued by company over accident

More
2 years 6 months ago #227068 by Zuffen
I must admit I don't see why phones should be disabled in cars as talking on a hands free phone is no different to talking to a passenger in the car.

Probably better than arguing with the wife sitting beside you!
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
2 years 6 months ago - 2 years 6 months ago #227070 by Lang
There is quite a bit of information on the phone vs passenger conversation. It is not the same.

A visual example is sometimes used. Talking to a passenger is like looking at a view but talking on a phone is like looking at the same view through binoculars.

As well as having no time constraints passenger conversation is regulated by what is happening around you while the phone conversation, particularly from the other end, has no recognition or moderation. Phone conversations, even mindless crap from little bimbos, are conducted with more intensity, concentration on what is said and the formulation of a succinct or relevant reply. Several studies estimate phone conversations reduce driving concentration more than 50% greater than passenger conversations.

Lang
Last edit: 2 years 6 months ago by Lang.

More
2 years 6 months ago #227072 by JOHN.K.
Young guy hit by a car right outside yesterday.......i didnt see it,but the ambulance stopd right outside,so I went out .....seems he was waiting to cross the road ,suddenly stepped out in front of a car......phone for sure,no one under 40 walks along without a phone up in front of them.

More
2 years 6 months ago #227073 by Brocky45
On my 2014 Dodge Ram 3500 the blue tooth phone controls are on the radio screen in the middle of the dash. I find they are just as distracting as trying to operate the phone..
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Lang, Mrsmackpaul

More
2 years 6 months ago - 2 years 6 months ago #227074 by Lang
Last edit: 2 years 6 months ago by Lang.

More
2 years 6 months ago #227075 by Gryphon

This brings me to ask about the use of UHF radios while driving. There was an interesting conversation on the radio the other day about how it is illegal to hold a phone and talk into it and be fined if caught but is ok to use a UHF radio. What is the difference?

A couple of years ago we were on a club run in our cars using hand held and dash mounted UHF to communicate and got passed by a cop in a hurry who stopped and book the guy in first car who unfortunately drove past him with the hand held radio in his hand. So in Victoria at least they don't make any distinction between a phone and radio.

Terry

More
2 years 6 months ago #227076 by V8Ian
How do solo pilots converse with ATC?

More
2 years 6 months ago #227084 by Lang
Nobody is trying to step out in front of you or kill you in another aircraft in the air not like the security you have of the magical white line keeping you away from the other car by 2 metres with a closing speed of 200kmh.
The following user(s) said Thank You: V8Ian

More
2 years 6 months ago - 2 years 6 months ago #227091 by cobbadog
That is interesting Terry. I wonder if it was a cop in a bad mood or a State law thing or most likely that coppers interpretation of the law. Now I will put my foot in my mouth and own up to towing a caravan. Most truckers are convinced we are useless and in the way and I do see some that fall into that bracket and shake my head in disgust.
On the caravan Forum I visit many of them use hand held UHF radios as many do not want to install a unit into the 4wd so they use portables. None have mentioned any issues with the police when using them. Maybe if they had been pulled up they could demonstrate what it was they were using. At the same time all the highway patrol cars around here have UHF radios in them monitoring the traffic on both trucks and vans listening to who is giving away their position which then is a reason for them to get nasty.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.
Last edit: 2 years 6 months ago by cobbadog.

More
2 years 6 months ago #227097 by Lang

Time to create page: 0.513 seconds