Skip to main content

Club Rego Qld

More
6 months 2 weeks ago #248546 by Urchy87
Club Rego Qld was created by Urchy87
Hey, one for the Queenslanders in here. Any of you with a HR truck on Special Interest Vehicle Concession (club) rego swap between club rego and normal rego as required for work use etc? Wondering if its easy enough to do. 
Thanks. 

Adventure before Dementia.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
6 months 2 weeks ago - 6 months 2 weeks ago #248547 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic Club Rego Qld
I am, pretty sure the paperwork will be minimal and you will only be charged the difference in registration and third party. As there is only a registration class change (and new number plates) with the same owner RWC should not be necessary.

Because you are the one person a year wanting to upgrade a truck to full registration they will know SFA about it. I am also certain there is a chance you will stand there while they scroll on their computer and ring head office to get the real story on whether it needs a pit inspection or not. As your club rego did not require the annual pit inspection but full rego does, go to a motor registry that does not have a truck inspection facility as it is too easy for them to say "I am not sure but go outside and have the truck inspectors take a look at the vehicle". Opens a can of worms.

It goes without saying never mention anything about pit inspections, let them come up with the idea (or hopefully miss it completely)
Last edit: 6 months 2 weeks ago by Lang.
The following user(s) said Thank You: asw120

More
6 months 2 weeks ago - 6 months 2 weeks ago #248549 by 77louie400
Replied by 77louie400 on topic Club Rego Qld
Lang I am not sure I agree with your take on pit inspections. If I take my Louisville on vintage plates anywhere near a pit I ask for a voluntary inspection I drove trucks before pit inspections and I absolutely believe that pit inspections are the best thing that ever happened to the transport industry, I know it's right but it is easy to miss things and another pair of eyes can often pick up things you miss
Last edit: 6 months 2 weeks ago by 77louie400.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH, wee-allis

More
6 months 2 weeks ago #248550 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic Club Rego Qld
Louie

You are right in getting another set of eyes.

The problem is pit inspections are aimed at perfection, or close to. Many items picked up have no immediate safety issue (oil leaks etc) but are more than likely to cost money, sometimes big money.

If you have a $250,000 truck earning its keep on 5,000km per week you want perfection. If you have a $25,000 hobby truck doing 2,000km per year unloaded you want good brakes, tyres and steering. Oil leaks, daggy wiring, moderately worn spring shackles etc can be fixed when time and finances permit.

It would be nice to have a perfect truck but the average old truck owner can not afford a mechanically concours vehicle. If everybody had to go over the pits truck shows would no longer have half their participants. We are mostly common sense enthusiasts with a certain level of knowledge and experience and have all got this far without a wheel falling off.

My view is any introduction of compulsory pit inspections in Queensland for club registered vehicles is a bureaucratic fix for a problem that does not exist. If I had the spare cash to maintain a concours truck I would be the first to drop in to the Inspection Bay just to get another set of eyes and cop the findings on the financial chin.

I know we have forum members who will continue to drive with their trouser belt holding a steering rod in place while there are others who will immediately pull into the first stopping place to remove a mosquito squashed on the windscreen. We have very comfortably situated owners where cost is no object and probably many more pensioners struggling to keep their TK Bedford mobile for the next show.

This is just my view and to each his own.

Lang
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, Morris, PaulFH

More
6 months 2 weeks ago - 6 months 2 weeks ago #248551 by 77louie400
Replied by 77louie400 on topic Club Rego Qld
Well yes and no Lang, I never go to a show or event empty, I will have 3 tractors or a couple of bulldozers, or other bits and bobs often up close to my legal weight which in NSW is the legal weight for that configuration, which is pretty normal for shows west of the mountains , a lot of loaded trucks turn up at shows that I go to, Dubbo is probably the exception with a lot of concourse restoration's Maybe there should be a second class of vintage rego for those that do not and will not carry a load, I would rather go over the pit's than to go to the bloke I go to, he is worse than any pit I have been over in my life.

My truck is not a concourse restoration, paint's 20 years old, motor rebuild about 16 years ago, the only bit not 1977 is the gearbox it has a late model 15 speed, matching numbers motor and chassis, motor 927 (15.5liter) Cummins 
Last edit: 6 months 2 weeks ago by 77louie400.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH

More
6 months 2 weeks ago #248552 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic Club Rego Qld
I have no up to date experience,but I suspect the Transport will tell you to re register the truck ..........I agree the Transport pit inspections were easier than private inspectors at repair shops ........In my experience if the small obvious stuff is OK ,there are no oil leaks ,and the brakes and steering are OK on the rollers,the truck will pass ..............a lot of the government inspectors are car mechanics and know diddly about heavy vehicles.

More
6 months 2 weeks ago #248555 by Mrsmackpaul
Replied by Mrsmackpaul on topic Club Rego Qld
In Vic, and yes I know your asking about QLD
club reg isn't reg, it's a permit to drive either 45 or 90 days a year
And yes I know you can drive more if on club runs but the question is about rego

So in Vic you have to get a toad worthy certificate as the vehicle isnt registered and is on a permit

So I dunno if club vehicles in QLD are on a pwrmit like Vic or not but I feel this will answer your question if you can find this out

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
6 months 2 weeks ago #248556 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic Club Rego Qld
There is no use concession in Qld outside the rules .......and you are only allowed half the manufacturers or original rego GVM........for instance a Ford D800 would be allowed a gross of 6 ton on a Qld SIVS (or thereabouts) ..........These discussions can go on ad infinitum ,and do...........I worked out for someone once that the ideal truck for Qld SIVS rules would be a IH C1800 V8 petrol with a lazy .............I dont know anyone ever been weighed with SIVs.....but a couple of people been caught breaking the rules ..........the common way was to get a personal plate for a SIVs vehicle,then its not obvious...........there was a Transtar tipper around breaking the rules bigtime............and someone we all know using a SIVs on a tilt tray for moving forklifts.

More
6 months 2 weeks ago #248564 by asw120
Replied by asw120 on topic Club Rego Qld
It is my understanding that you need a full COI / machinery to go back to full rego on a HR registered truck.

Jarrod.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II

More
6 months 2 weeks ago #248571 by Urchy87
Replied by Urchy87 on topic Club Rego Qld
Ahh, I thought even on Club rego they needed a COI each year, so you only need a COI for initial registration then you don't need to do them yearly? 

Trying to maximise use with a financial spend. Might just have to bite the bullet. Need to think about it a bit more.

Thanks for the discussion. 

Adventure before Dementia.

Time to create page: 0.580 seconds