Skip to main content

Aust Tyres

More
14 years 1 week ago #26641 by Old AB
Replied by Old AB on topic Re: Aust Tyres
Dunlop have never been any good. Tyre service tryed to sell me some recaps on dunlop cases, a mate bought them instead of jap tyres. Put 8 on the drive and had 6 failures in 8 weeks. They wouldnt give him a claim because they said they were rock damaged. He only worked in the local sand plant. He now has cheep jap tyres. How have Dunlop survived so long??? :-? :-?

Keep old inters alive.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
14 years 1 week ago #26642 by kennymopar2
Replied by kennymopar2 on topic Re: Aust Tyres
they survived on their after sales service ( or lack of it ! )

More
14 years 1 week ago #26643 by 345SCOUT
Replied by 345SCOUT on topic Re: Aust Tyres
[quote thank goodness dunlop doesnt make condoms . . . the end mite come off :-?[/quote]
;D hahaha good one mate.

International Scout Owners Club Victorian Division (ISOCVD)&&Spare Parts Officer&&is

More
14 years 1 week ago #26644 by kennymopar2
what does a aussie do if the comdom doesnt fit? . . cut the end off
what do you do if your misses starts to smoke in the bedroom . . slow down :D

just dont wear dunlop comdoms .. the steel belt will hurt

More
14 years 1 week ago #26645 by theroadbossman
Replied by theroadbossman on topic Re: Aust Tyres
To Swishy and the rest of you guys that told me Dunlop were no good, YOU WERE F&$KING RIGHT!!!!
Swishy and BigCam know my story, but for those of you that don't...

I put two brand new SP160 Banglops on the front of me old chook, galloped about Brisvegas for the grand total of 6200km and hey presto there was belt hanging out of the tread face - one of them was, and the other was showing the cords. Thinking I had a braking problem (too much front braking effort) I rebuilt the entire front brake system and pedal. Anyway, the SP160 went square and bald (sounds like me, eh?) and were useless in two months.

On the advice of some smart arse tyre sales bloke, I bought two brand new Banglop SP360's again for the steer in January this year. In February, after complaining of vibrations, I took them back to Mr Tyre dealer who balanced them for free. Wooppee! In March the vibration came back better than ever, so back to My tyre dealer, who now told me that my speedo was way out and the tyres were simply worn out! F&$K Orf I says! 4000km and they are worn out? Ya pullin yaself!

In the lead up to todays move from Brisbane to Woy Woy, I had them balanced again - way out as you'd expect - and when finished the balance layed a block of wood on the floor and spun the wheel. Almost 1/2" run out in the tread face - square is what I would call them.

At Helensvale (Qld) at 100km/h - no vibration.
By Ballina, slight vibration.
Coff Harbour - vibration at 55/km/h and now a vibration at 100km/h.
On the new road at Karuah, cannot go over 95 km/h because the bonnet is trying to vibrate off!
And on the freeway just before the Woy Woy exit, now down to 80km/h as the vibration is that bad me wireless fell out of the overhead console!!!!

On arrival, jacked it up, spun the wheel, and if I don't have an inch run out on the tread face of each front tyre then I'll walk down George street with me pecker out!

For my money, I am going to take the advice of the elders (BigCam and Swishy) and go for a nasty type of chinese steer tyre that just doesn't seem to suffer these problems.

Dunlops? Would never touch another, even for free!
cheers
Bretto ;)

Austral Tourmaster with 6V92T mechanical

• Swishy
  • Topic Author
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
14 years 1 week ago #26646 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Re: Aust Tyres

Gr8 info guyz
keep it cummin

let me side step for a mo
RECAPS

the best recap is bandag
the story goes Bandag is an american deal of applying a length of rubber with tread already cut in the rubber
they call it cold retread process they do heat it but they don't cook the bejesus outof it like other recaps th@ also burn the tread into a new recap
Bandag 1st go set up in Brisbane can remember Ansetts had a ol panteck here in melbourne n they'd gradually fill it with tyres ready to send to brisbane to get the Bandag process, then bring m back to melb to fit to trailers etc they wore better than new, when they got to about 50% wear the tread rubber twaz hard n lasted even longer
Now here in Melb sum years ago Boral had the Bandag Franchise n they sold recaps etc on the good name of Bandag, but they were never any good, as a recap is only as good as the joker do n the recap of your tyre
we had recaps from Bandag here th@ were 3/4" out of tru, @ the edge of recap they bogg up the edge to make m a smooth finish on one part of the tyre the bog was 3/4" wide n 180 degrees rotation there was no bog but oposite side twaz the 3/4" bog
so wot I.m say n here is Bandag is the best recap if U gotta run m but U need a good applyer of glue n the tread on
We use Western Bandag if n when we need caps dun but with the price of chink tyres they aint worth do n
we run the chinks down then regrove m then chuk the tyres away
our apprentise duz a good regrove n can do 12 tyres ona trailer with out remove n m in about 1 hour

Cya
[ch9787]

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
14 years 1 week ago #26647 by Old AB
Replied by Old AB on topic Re: Aust Tyres
You got it Swishy. I run mine down on the drive till they have about 10% left, regroove and run on the trailer till they go all prickley. But got a couple of oliver caps and put on a dog trailer and they went ok. No cheep japs at the tyre shop. They were waitin for a container to arrive. That trailer only works around town and they have gone ok. But they never get to hot. I think the heat kills the recaps. only have to look on the side of the road after a couple of hot days.

Keep old inters alive.

More
14 years 1 week ago #26648 by kennymopar2
ive found out that bandag recaps usually outlast the tyre the cap is put on ..also the caps last longer than a new tyre

14 years 1 week ago #26649 by
Replied by on topic Re: Aust Tyres
The 8.25-16 Dunlop tyres on the steer on my tilt tray are Made in Japan and so far i have got 10,000 K's and they still look fine (but i do have a wheel alignment done every 6 months).

The new 7.50-16 Dunlops that i had to get fitted on the Isuzu on the side of the Hume are Made in Slovenia so will have to wait and see how they wear. These tyres replaced the blown out Michelan and its mate that is all square.

Time to create page: 0.466 seconds