Skip to main content

Kenworth W81A

More
14 years 1 week ago #26842 by ianoz
Kenworth W81A was created by ianoz
Hi guys , We are thinking about buying a 1978 W81A trandem drive primemover with a boggie float ..Its got a big cam cummins 15 speed RR . Supposed to be a tidy truck . As know sweet FA about KWs ,what can any one tell us about them ,good thing or don't go near them???.We want it to shift a 20 ton excavator ,early d6 size dozer and cat 120G grader locally ,and take a couple of toys to the odd rally every now and then . Certainly won't be pounding up and down the hiway with it . Any feed back welcome { Bugger ,It don't have a Screemer in it Swish }

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
14 years 1 week ago #26843 by ianoz
Replied by ianoz on topic Re: Kenworth W81A
here is what we are looking at

More
14 years 1 week ago #26844 by bigcam
Replied by bigcam on topic Re: Kenworth W81A
I've seen that truck on E bay Ian. It's a W ( something, like W 923/W924/W925. Don't know where that other model code comes from. That float looks very light in the gooseneck. What do they want for it? I can't remember, if it was a bargain I would have. As long as the truck hasn't got Torsion Bar suspension, it probobly won't be a bad thing. Mind if it's got Hendrickson, it'll still ride like a cart. To guive you a bit of a guide, I was at Pickles Auctions a month ago, a 1980 SAR with a tipper on it, looked to be origonally ex McIvor road Train, 400 Cummins, 15 speed, Dual Range Eatons on 6 rod, $27,000, which I thought was a bit out there. S line beside it, 350 Cummins, 15 speed, 44 Rockwells on 6 rod, tipping body, was passed in on my cousins bid of $17,000. A lot of blokes go gaga over the over ratyed KW badge. That W model is an old truck, you can follow the Brisbane auctions on line I think. Fowles and Pickles seem to be the major ones.

More
14 years 1 week ago #26845 by ianoz
Hi Blgcam , Yes Ebay is where it is . He's got 52G on it or 29 for the truck and 25 for the float . doesn't say what suspension is under it ,just that it's a 44000lb backend and he says it drives and rides good ..We are trying to do a deal with trading a backhoe .Got new tires and brakes all round. Hard to know what to do ,as it won't realy pay for its self with the amount of shifts we do with the machines ,but the conveniance of being able to shift a machine when you want to ,is a big plus .Plus picking up toys with .. Got to go and pick up a d46u cat dozer from near kingaroy soon ,so its not much ferther down to where the truck is to have a look ..Just was interested to see what you guys thought of them . Wheres swishy when you need him . Ian .

More
14 years 1 week ago #26846 by bigcam
Ian, that float looks like it should be behind a Dodge, not a Kenworth, I reckon the float is 10 to 15 over the money, The KW isn't cheap either, depends on how much you love it I spose.

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
14 years 1 week ago #26847 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Re: Kenworth W81A

Eeeen Oz
GuddayM8
Kenworth n low loaders hold there valu
they may B dear to buy but tiz an investment
the Low Loader looks OK if U dont go chuk n big loads on it
I'd guess it would handle 20 ton load ok
dependin on rear suspension
if they B spring U may run the risk of bending sumthing on the rear as the 20 ton loads n tips over center on the rear ramp/RSend but if it has lasted for this joker it may B allright 4 U
If U gunna go fetch dead n rusty gear U may want a wicked wench up front to snig on any new toyz
look @ rear tyre tread for uneven wear this can B a result of slightly bent axle from shock loading

RE: Kenworth
U B buyin a name th@ holds its value
Kenworth use others componets n assemble them in the Kenworth way to last
but like most things if itz specd rong sumthing is bound to fail

Very hard to kno how good the rig is
If U pay too much n it costs U nothing in repairs over many years = cheap truck
if U buy a real cheap truck n it costs lots of time n money to keep it roll n = Xpensive truck

Good Luck with your choice
LOL

Cya
[ch9787]

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

14 years 1 week ago #26848 by
Replied by on topic Re: Kenworth W81A

He's got 52G on it or 29 for the truck and 25 for the float ..

TELL HIM HE'S DREAMING!!! .... LOL ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

More
14 years 1 week ago #26849 by ianoz

He's got 52G on it or 29 for the truck and 25 for the float ..

TELL HIM HE'S DREAMING!!! .... LOL ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Hi Ron , Yes it sounds dear ,but If he has done every thing to it that he says he has It should be a good thing . There is nothing of the same model on construction hub to compare it to ,but there is a couple of sars of the same era for more money and ideal for restoreation :o, . He says he has owned it for a long while and it has been a backup truck for his other trucks . Its only another 70 KMs further down from the D46U we are going down to pick up,so we should go and at least check it out . Armed with a bit of info like has been offered up so far by you guys , hopefully we won't just fall in love with the look of it ;) . Any more words of wisdom greatfully recieved .Ian .

More
14 years 1 week ago - 14 years 1 week ago #26850 by bigcam
Ian, there is a W model coming up at an auction in Dalby next Friday, and Prices have one there as well.There was also a W model at Grove truck sales for under $20,000 I think.
www.dmcmachinery.com.au/index-tess1.php?ItemNo=1011
Here's the one at Prices, the sleeper off it is around the back of the shed.

Here's the link for the one at Grove's
www.grovetrucks.com.au/DesktopDefault.as...=3132018&TabID=92024
Last edit: 14 years 1 week ago by bigcam.

More
14 years 1 week ago #26851 by bigcam
Here's a pic of the one at Grove's $18,500, says it needs some work, who knows?

Time to create page: 0.888 seconds