Please Log in to join the conversation.

14 years 4 months ago #3683 by
Replied by on topic Re: Dodge AT4 675

More
14 years 4 months ago #3684 by huppypuppy
Replied by huppypuppy on topic Re: Dodge AT4 675
JimmyDodge

Don't you start - I have a f@#ked up bunch of f@#$wit colleagues who have totally screwed up all the entitlements of everyone on the entire plant! We are working one week on, one off! Until they can wake up to themselves, this is work for me now!

Joe

More
14 years 4 months ago #3685 by kennymopar2
Replied by kennymopar2 on topic Re: Dodge AT4 675
The Cummins 185 (470 cubic inch V8) might have been available in the D5N or possibly late AT4 (but i have no proof of this) because they are listed in the brochure for the flat nose trucks from 1973 with the Commer Cab, known as Dodge/Commers.

Mousey

the cummins "185" was avail in the At4s (700 series) i also know where there is one in a 1973 (very early) D5N ..it was the "engine of choice" B4 the 6v53 became available . . unlike the 6v53 the cummins was fitted with a 5 speed box 2 speed diff in the At4s D5Ns (in the D2Fs i think a 6 speed was also avail?)

More
14 years 4 months ago #3686 by mousey
Replied by mousey on topic Re: Dodge AT4 675
Thanks for that extra info Kenny.
The data I had only went up to 1967 which is why i wasn't sure about whether or not the Cummins 185 were available in the AT4, it only listed the Cummins 160 6 cylinder (464 cubic inch) and 361 V8 petrol for the 760 and 775.

As for the D2F, I have a very poor scan of an undated brochure for the D2F from apparently the early 70's (because it shows an AT4 as well) and it says "Note that the D2F is the first to offer a V8 petrol engine with a multi speed transmission - another Dodge/Commer First"...then in the specs it lists both petrol and diesel engines as having a choice between either a 5 speed/2 speed eaton diff and 10 speed Road Ranger .... there was no 6 speed in the D2F according to this brochure however i can confirm that the Commer Knockers were available with 4 speed, 5 speed and 6 speed gearboxes together with 3 versions of the TS3 3 cylinder 2 stroke Supercharged diesel... 105bhp, 117bhp and 215bhp.

Mousey

More
14 years 4 months ago #3687 by ianoz
Replied by ianoz on topic Re: Dodge AT4 675
Hi Mousey , Welcome to the forum , good to see another helpfull new member joining up . Huppypuppy ,how about stopping dribbling $ hit for a minute ,long enough to see the number of posts beside his name and say Hi before start off again . ian .

More
14 years 4 months ago #3688 by huppypuppy
Ian,

You gonna make Dubbo??? There's a great little pub all but 40 paces from the Talbragar Street entrance of the Dubbo Showground - I owe a few people a few amber nectars..... provided me boss ain't there! If he is, we'll nip down to the other pub nearby - 100 paces from the entrance!

Joe

More
14 years 4 months ago #3689 by kennymopar2
Replied by kennymopar2 on topic Re: Dodge AT4 675
the 6 speed box was a pommy box ..the D2f & D3Fwere pommy trucks(i think the first D3Fs appeared here in 74) ... i hate to say it but the D3Fs were probably the pick of the dodge trucks they were even sold as a renault in france :o also the largest version had a turbo perkins

More
14 years 4 months ago #3690 by mousey
Replied by mousey on topic Re: Dodge AT4 675
The topic of D2F and D3F's seemed interesting so i did a bit of research over the net.

It seems they were both just Commers rebadged as Dodges, and the Knocker engine was dropped because of Chrysler's agreement with Cummins. It's a shame because they were developing the 4 cylinder version of the supercharged 2 stroke Knocker engine, the TS4.

Anyways, getting back to the Dodge/Commers, this means that even though the trucks were English, the "Dodge D2F" and "Dodge D3F" are unique to Australia in that form, especially the D2F because in some european countries the Commer Commando www.flickr.com/photos/33321856@N05/3835857535/ was renamed the "Dodge Commando"! www.truckerlinks.dk/dodgebil/dodge_commando.jpg

The 60's Commers lasted in the UK still badged as a Commer until 1974 as seen here imcdb.org/vehicle_66612-Commer-CE-Maxiload-1972.html and was replaced in 1974 by the Commer 'Commando'...which over here became the Dodge D3F.
The last versions ended up being badged as Renault Commandos www.sotrex.co.uk/product/renault-command...el-tanker-17155.html so they got a pretty good run out of that cab too!

Another interesting thing is that the AT4 Dodge and AB inters are also unique to australia, along with all the inter AACO and ACCO trucks, but the designs of those were always developed and approved of in the USA, much like any new Holden until at least the HG and possibly even after that.

More
14 years 4 months ago #3691 by huppypuppy
mousey,

You've brought something to my mind - the cabins! The cab on the AB and the AT4 were the same as they used the same factory (the International factory) to build the cabs!

Here's a AB180 Inter:

Here's the Dodge again:

Joe

Time to create page: 0.431 seconds