Skip to main content

Bedford 1946 k

More
12 years 9 months ago #49675 by truckit
Replied by truckit on topic Re: Bedford 1946 k
Hi there,

Re the pulley, you can get it off by using a three legged wheel puller, a little WD40 and slowly crank it off by winding the puller tight and putting tention on the puller, let it sit and it will budge with the tention on it, no heat or belting will be required, then more lube and slowly draw it off with the puller. You will need to do the same with the timing chain gear. It you have no luck please let me know but I am sure you will get it off as I just did on a motor that was out in a paddock for over thirty years.
And again thanks to the guys on this forum, I have learnt a lot from them, keep the knowledge flowing guys.
Charlie

D.H.B.&&Doing His Best

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
12 years 9 months ago #49676 by Davefarma
Replied by Davefarma on topic Re: Bedford 1946 k
http://s1193.photobucket.com/albums/aa355/Davefarma/

hey onetrack here is a pic of the pully. Could it be an after market pully that has been put on, i looked at the cut away and the photo from your reply and they are the same as the pully on my other motor.
I ended up buying a hydrolic puller kit, i dislike borrowing tools and as Im a farmer and have machinery i needed one anyway.
i have removed the gearbox without any trouble but having some dificultys getting the bell housing off, there is a bolt that is situated in behind where the starter motor sits but the head of the bolt is inside the bellhousing behind the flywheel, so do i have to drop the flywheel out to get the bell housing off?
My good wife is going to Melb tomorrow, i was going to get her to go to repco and get some welsh plugs. i have counted 8, 5 down the side and 3 at the back end of the block up high. do i need 8 or am i missing some.

More
12 years 9 months ago #49677 by Daninmky
Replied by Daninmky on topic Re: Bedford 1946 k

138 grey holden Digga???

chocs 8-)

What a classic! Then you move onto the 179HP and woohoo she's a cracker........then its whats that? A 186 stroked!! tell me more! Triple Webber and extractors!!!!! you dont say ;D
I miss my EK Panel Van and HR Ute :'(

2 Blondes Walked into a Building.......neither of them seen it.....BOOM  BOOM!!!&&A blo

More
12 years 9 months ago #49678 by Digger
Replied by Digger on topic Re: Bedford 1946 k

http://s1193.photobucket.com/albums/aa355/Davefarma/

hey onetrack here is a pic of the pully. Could it be an after market pully that has been put on, i looked at the cut away and the photo from your reply and they are the same as the pully on my other motor.
I ended up buying a hydrolic puller kit, i dislike borrowing tools and as Im a farmer and have machinery i needed one anyway.
i have removed the gearbox without any trouble but having some dificultys getting the bell housing off, there is a bolt that is situated in behind where the starter motor sits but the head of the bolt is inside the bellhousing behind the flywheel, so do i have to drop the flywheel out to get the bell housing off?
My good wife is going to Melb tomorrow, i was going to get her to go to repco and get some welsh plugs. i have counted 8, 5 down the side and 3 at the back end of the block up high. do i need 8 or am i missing some.

Hey mate ,without seeing it hard to tell and Its too long to remember but for a good few jobs it`s often a case of sacrifice an old spanner and oxy bend it to fit the job.
Done it more than once as an only resort to save a lot of extra work.
Just a thort.

Digger.

More
12 years 9 months ago #49679 by Digger

138 grey holden Digga???

chocs 8-)

What a classic! Then you move onto the 179HP and woohoo she's a cracker........then its whats that? A 186 stroked!! tell me more! Triple Webber and extractors!!!!! you dont say ;D
I miss my EK Panel Van and HR Ute :'(

Yeah me too mate must be an age realted thing eh +1.

Digger.

More
12 years 9 months ago - 12 years 9 months ago #49680 by Davefarma
Replied by Davefarma on topic Re: Bedford 1946 k
Last edit: 12 years 9 months ago by Davefarma.

12 years 9 months ago #49681 by
Replied by on topic Re: Bedford 1946 k
Dave - I spoke with Joe this afternoon about the pulley. This is a bloke who did his apprenticeship starting on Bedfords in 1958!
He scratched his head for a while, and then said .. "well, on the really old trucks, the crankshaft dog is threaded (normal RH thread) into the pulley.
You unscrew the crankshaft dog, then screw the proper Bedford crankshaft pulley puller into the thread on the pulley, and then pull it off".

I said, "so they're very similiar in design to the real early Grey Holden (138) motor crankshaft pulleys?"

He said, "Yes! In fact, I still have a Grey Holden crankshaft pulley puller amongst my tools! I bought it when I was still a 2nd year apprentice!"

So .. you need to dig up the proper Holden/Bedford crankshaft pulley puller, and use that tool to remove it. I can't show you what it looks like, Joe was busy and didn't have time to dig it out.
He did say he had a real old, "universal" truck service manual at home, that he would check up on, to see if it showed the crankshaft pulley removal process for the Bedfords.

Cheers - Ron.

More
12 years 9 months ago #49682 by Digger

Take the white sheet away and re-snap it mate.
Try one shot with a flash and one without to get a best one.
Seems too much reflection is fooling your camera light sensors / meter.

Digger.

12 years 9 months ago - 12 years 9 months ago #49683 by
Replied by on topic Re: Bedford 1946 k
Woo-Hoo! Did a Google search for the puller .. and first hit, I struck gold! :D

Scroll down this following link page, until you see a Coxhead tool, "Harmonic Balancer puller and replacer". This one is for the FJ & FE, the Bedford one will be similar or maybe even the same tool.

If we can find someone with a Coxhead catalogue, we'll be laughing.

I think you'll find you may also need the seal aligner, same as the Grey Holden motors, because the Bedford most likely has no alignment dowels for the timing cover, either.

www.cardomain.com/ride/479523/1955-holden-ute/page-6

More
12 years 9 months ago - 12 years 9 months ago #49684 by Chocs
Replied by Chocs on topic Re: Bedford 1946 k
We had a grey motor balance puller...
Been around since i was a kid..
i'll have a look tomorrow Ron..
Can't say ive seen it for years though...
might be lucky

chocs 8-)

Time to create page: 0.471 seconds