Skip to main content

Bedford 1946 k

More
12 years 9 months ago #49685 by Digger
Replied by Digger on topic Re: Bedford 1946 k

Woo-Hoo! Did a Google search for the puller .. and first hit, I struck gold! :D
<snip>
I think you'll find you may also need the seal aligner, same as the Grey Holden motors, because the Bedford most likely has no alignment dowels for the timing cover, either.

www.cardomain.com/ride/479523/1955-holden-ute/page-6

Now as the fog of old memories clears a bit maybe ---just maybe mind-- you might find the holes in the timing cover case are actually larger than the bolts and the whole thing lines up on the seal itself---could be wrong tho ?.
Use cork gaskets lets the holes have a bit of cork protruding /compressing into the holes.
There for only cut the gasket holes with the bolts as you fit it up and all will be centered on the crank.
Bit of oil or grease on the seal first and bob`s yer uncle.

Digger

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
12 years 9 months ago #49686 by scratcha
Replied by scratcha on topic Re: Bedford 1946 k
Dave, as you know a few fella's in town, try Bernie Anstee, he has/ had a few grey motored bits in his time. great bloke too.
I dont think Pat obrien will have any tools, but you never know,
Dont forget to ask mick, he may have a puller too.

jeff

1418 Benz now really impressing the bride :-)

More
12 years 9 months ago #49687 by Digger
Replied by Digger on topic Re: Bedford 1946 k
Another tip for Bedford owners.
Are those older motors sleeved like the later ones were ?.

If they are make sure not to have the liner come up and the rings pop out the bottom of the sleeve or you will be in for a lot more work.
Might be a source of water in the oil to if that`s the case.
I seem to recall spacer shims in the top of the block to get all the liners level.

Reading back further in the article seems a sticky clutch plate or plate on the gear box spline might be half of the gear change problems.
From memory they had a habit of having a lot of wear in the lever into the box top pins as well from dirt and junk wearing them out. would get sloppy and come out altogether on the later ones--- fun stuff while you drive ;)

Hope it helps some.
Just 2 cents worth if the box is the type I think it is---if not ? Oh well, :).

Digger.

More
12 years 9 months ago #49688 by Davefarma
Replied by Davefarma on topic Re: Bedford 1946 k
A productive weekend was had, on saterday i spent most of the day degreasing, rust removing and preping parts for priming. i even managed to do a third and forth primer coat.
Today Aussiehooker came down and we got to work removing the welsh plugs. we had to remove the clutch and fly wheel to be able to remove the bell housing to get at the last welsh plug at the rear. the inside of the case was filled with 60 years woth of cediment so we wheeled the motor outside and flushed it all out. We replaced a few of the welsh plugs, and will replace the others when i get some more that fit.
We removed the front pully with little fuss, it just came off and had a woodruff key. There are a few small marks from the puller but they will file out without any problem.
once we had the pully off we were able to get to the timeing cover and it needs replacing, We took out the push rods and were able to move the larger cog which is attatched to the cam shaft but the smaller cog on the end of the crank shaft didnt want to budge, we ended up stripping the thread on Don's small puller, and with the timing chain on there wasnt enough room to get a plate or seperater behind. I have a hydrolic puller which sould be arriving soon. we tried some heat but to no good, Next step is I'll have to cut the timing chain off so i can get the hydrolic puller onto the smaller cog.
Now i need to get some parts, Timing chain, sealed clutch bearing, and some break parts,
After reading from Onetracks posts and another from slospeed, I'll try and get most of the parts from ACW Bedford truck parts, they are in furntree gully but only do the parts online. From Onetracks posts I need a K49X master cylender kit and a set of H506 hoses.
Anyone else have any ideas on a good place in Melb for break parts and bearing/timing chains.......
And last of all Thanks Aussiehooker had a great day....

12 years 9 months ago #49689 by
Replied by on topic Re: Bedford 1946 k

Time to create page: 0.504 seconds