Skip to main content

* * * Manure Happenz * * *

More
6 years 10 months ago #184350 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic * * * Manure Happenz * * *
It used to be wise not to use heavy chains,so as not to wreck the float .Now ,some bright spark in the govt thinks each chain must carry the whole weight,and so the driver has to hump ship anchor chain onto the load.I remember a farmer picking up a 4 WD loader ,he had one chain ,a few ropes,and ended tearing up rags and using them for ropes.Got it home ok.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
6 years 10 months ago #184353 by shiney005
Were the chains attached to the steps welded to the side of the undercarriage? I can't see them in the photo, and I have seen this stupid practice carried out a few times in the past. The other thing some people don't think about when loading a tree harvester is how heavy it is. The driver sees a 25 ton excavator and thinks it is all good to put on a tri axle float, but he doesn't think about the fact that a tree harvesting head can weigh 5 tons more than a bucket.

More
6 years 10 months ago #184362 by rex
Replied by rex on topic * * * Manure Happenz * * *
Gentlemen
The chains did the job they were intended for after all the truck and trailer are both on their side.
When the load is on the side of the road and the truck is upright, then ask the question about load restraint.
Did the excavator move while the truck was driving down the road we will never know, what we do know is when it moved it took the truck and trailer with it.
Rex

Making a small effort to save the history of road transport in Australia by being in front of Simms

More
6 years 9 months ago #184367 by shiney005
Yep. Thats fair enough, but I wasn't blaming the chains for the accident. I just couldn't see the steps that are usually welded onto the side of the undercarriage. I know old fellas that carted dozers around for years without ever chaining them down. Not too many floats have wooden floors nowadays though.

More
6 years 9 months ago - 6 years 9 months ago #184381 by dno
Replied by dno on topic * * * Manure Happenz * * *
I wouldn't read to much into it. As stated "tipped while rounding a bend", sounds like he might have been traveling a bit quick and got caught out.

Chipping away, one day at a time.
Limited Access Excavations.
Find me on Instagram, or search deankummer.com
Last edit: 6 years 9 months ago by dno.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Southbound, Brocky45

More
6 years 9 months ago #184434 by grandad
Replied by grandad on topic * * * Manure Happenz * * *
These load restraints were quite good

Attachments:

More
6 years 9 months ago #184438 by busman
Replied by busman on topic * * * Manure Happenz * * *
Ah well, that guy is never going to have to worry about getting old !

84 Austral Tourmaster with 6V92 and now 7 speed Eaton-Fuller, converted to motorhome "Vanishing Point" after a favourite American movie.
3 Kw solar 800 Ah Lithium house battery pack, all engine cooling done by the sun. Water injection for hot days and hill climbs.

More
6 years 8 months ago #185373 by grumpy
Replied by grumpy on topic * * * Manure Happenz * * *
Attachments:

More
6 years 8 months ago #185379 by bparo
Replied by bparo on topic * * * Manure Happenz * * *
did he forget to chain the chassis together?

Having lived through a pandemic I now understand all the painting of fat people on couches!

More
6 years 8 months ago #185381 by ray
Replied by ray on topic * * * Manure Happenz * * *
These new front wheel drives really have some grunt.

Time to create page: 0.608 seconds