Skip to main content

Louies......Wheres all ya Louies

More
10 years 6 months ago #65876 by bigcam
Hi Ken, if that one is ex the Geelong plant, do you know where the first LNT 9000 ended up?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
10 years 6 months ago #65877 by Ken903
I bigcam no I don't but I will ask the question ,was the 9000 a company truck ?

More
10 years 6 months ago #65878 by bigcam
Hi Ken, yes it was a company truck, when I read the Louisville to Stirling, the Story of an Australian Truck Legend, I'm pretty sure it said it ended up as a yard truck at the plant. Was iridescent Green with the short steel step tanks. Actually, I think the first 50 LNT 9000's had the short square steel step tanks.

More
10 years 6 months ago #65879 by Raggsie
Gidday Cam, thanks for the info on the LE.
I was looking for that badge and thought it was on the panel above the bonnet strap, but now that you pinpoint it I can see it behind the spotter mirror.
Very thin on the ground that one, would be interesting to know how many they made up.
As for the first LNT I think I know the one you are talking about, it was based at Broadmeadows and not unlike your profile pic.
The one Ken has was well down the track, we only got surplus stock that didn't sell.
Ford Geelong had a handfull of D series 210 Cummins when I started there in the late 70s.
Always drooled over that LNT when it came to town,
we only had a quick LN9000 (903 square tanks) at that time and the single drive petrols followed.
We got the Agi spec LNT900 a couple of years later followed by LNT9000 903s and a couple of years later the 350 Cummins powered bangers.
The other Duds we got were couple of 6V92 powered 9 speed slugs, that just didn't cut it for a bunch of young blokes who couldn't care less about the price of fuel or who was paying for it.
I think we also had one of the first of the 2 LTL's which was a 400 Cummins day cab version which morphed into this in later years.

Full credit to the owner of this photo, not sure what year but well after my time.
Some might note the trailer which has a history all of its own, short story Freighter strap with an early Krueger Curtainer conversion.
Did also for a short time a have a Cat powered sleeper cab version (with underdrive box?), in red white and blue scheme which was on test with Road Train operators.
Don't have any photo's of my own of any of those trucks as no one really cared in those days.
However Prodrive might be able to shed some light on where some went, as a few of them went through Nigel's yard at the end of the line I think.
Have followed this whole topic with interest and don't have any pics of any of the multitude of Louies I have piloted over the years. :(
Rags

1956 International AR160&&196? International A414&&1988 Ford F250&&1982 FORD

More
10 years 6 months ago #65880 by Raggsie
And in addition to that, on the same page is the other in Jigsaw form.

Once again thanks to the owner of the photo/jigsaw.
Rags

More
10 years 6 months ago #65881 by bigcam
Hi Raggsie, I forgot to mention, the LE, LNT that Rossco has, the Maroon and Silver paint is the original colours they were all painted in.

As far as I know, the first 50 LNT 9000's had the short steel step tanks with only 2 J brackets under them, and after that they all had the longer ones with 3 J brackets.

Here is a pic pinched out of the book, but was also in T&BT of the first LNT 9000.
[IMG

More
10 years 6 months ago #65882 by Raggsie
Hey Cam Can't recall the details but reckon that would have been it.
Only ever had one Driver in those days, haven't seen him for a long time.
After Ford he did a stint with Kirkmans , and last I saw of him was at Toll back carting the same stuff in to Ford.
We should have been taking a bit more notice of history in the making.
Rags

More
10 years 6 months ago #65883 by Fred in Geelong
G'day fella's, l see the pic of the LTL from Ford AMO and was wondering if anyone got any shots of the LNT octopus tipper that used to run around. Think it did scrap out to Trans West in North Shore and back. I did see it venture further occasionally. When l worked there you :Dweren't allowed cameras on site, and besides it was night time anyway. www.hcvc.com.au/forum/Templates/Forum/de..._orig_img/cheesy.gif

More
10 years 6 months ago #65884 by Raggsie
Gidday Fred,
This would be the one here, I thought I already had it in this topic.

Stolen from the internet as I didn`t have any pictures either.
Started life as a prime mover towing a 40' Loadmaster.
later converted to a tipper, 3208 Cat and 10 speed R/R I think.
This pic appears to be around the Mid 80s about the same time I loaded and operated it out of the North Shore Casting Plant.
In those days she only did the rubbish run as you would hardly fit enough scrap in it to be worthwile, unless it was baled which entailed having it parked under the baler which happened occasionally when all other trailers were in use.
Rags

More
10 years 6 months ago #65885 by bigcam
Wow, a 3208 in a factory LTS.
Was it maybe a prototype? before the Ford Tractor motor?

Time to create page: 0.536 seconds