Skip to main content

Gold Nugget Kenworth, where are they all hiding

12 years 2 weeks ago #66248 by

JBran mate , a GOLD NUGGET was a special and limited edition Kenworth W model or SAR model . This post will fill you in as much as anyone can remember . I contacted Kenworth a few years ago regarding GOLD NUGGETS and guess what , Kenworth didn't even have the decency to acknowledge me .
>:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(
So swishy ol' mate as far as I am concerned there has been a LOT LESS WORTH IN KENWORTH for quite some time ! :-?

From what I gather "gold nuggets" was just a marketing venture at the time,they were a truck fitted with optional extras.
Regarding your dealings with PACCAR,next time go there with your check book and show some interest in one of those plastic K200s or T409s then you may have got some acknowlegment.
They have definately lost the plot,refusing to recignise the Seattle built KWs and also todays model designations have absolutely no meaning what so ever, as well as there limited options now (eg. Spicer transmissions). Cheers James.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
12 years 2 weeks ago #66249 by 85tptsline
Both you guys have hit the nail on the head, I rang Kenworth at Laverton the other day regarding parts 4 my 1974 K125cr chassis number 401100, yep she's the 1100th hundred banger to come off the production line, the bloke I was talking to wasnt real interested in what I was looking 4, new bush kit for gear stick/rod to gearbox and a j bracket for driver side fuel tank, I also asked if he could look up the history of the truck 4 me, any way to cut a long story short he sent me an email with diagrames of j brakets as aparently they r different now days and couldnt be bothered finding info on my truck, it was a stock factory truck sent to Bairnsdale and thats where its long and maybe interesting life ends, but if anyone knows the chassis number id be gratefull to know some history on my truck, cheer's Hayden. ;D

More
12 years 2 weeks ago #66250 by prodrive
Hmmm hayden, thats no good, specially as I told you to give em a yell! I reckon give em a call back, talk to Tony if possible, (tell him I said to call) or Tino if you cant get Tony, I think the bush kit comes in pieces, and they make them up as a kit. Pretty sure they should be all the same, up until they went to cable.
They have always been pretty good to me, have sent me build sheets etc, but then yours is older again so maybe it's past their records now?
Pity if thats the case- but once again, I guess thats why our old banga's are worth hanging on to- cos when they are gone, they are gone! And the WORTH of them (either Kenworth or not) is just because of that - until they atre gone, no one realises just what they were WORTH!
best of luck,
Richard
p.s I'll keep my eye open for a J bracket too

More
12 years 2 weeks ago #66251 by Ryan
What would you like to know? there were 30 in total, more detroit thatn cat, remember back in the eighties salesmen got a kick back from detroit thus the high percentage of them being sold (as well as being highly geared!).
There is a list with every chassis number, model and name of the person it was built for. The name on the build list is not necessarily the customer that eventually purchased the truck. this is the case with one of the Tympat SAR's which was taken by Keith Thompson and left in their scheme until an accident at which time it was painted into Thomo's colours.
They were all aerodynes, had a plaque, the sticker , TV in the sleeper and had a distinctive trim, i believe was also used in the K100E aerodynes, this trim is no longer available through any supplier that i have spoken with here and in the USA.
The nugget was released in the USA in A Model (w-model) and also the COE. these were all in the black, brown and gold of which i believe you could change which colour went where however it was the same scheme on all trucks with the stripe going up or down. There was only one long hood a model built for Jerry Jones, whereby there was a mix up when the order was submitted and this was not picked up till the truck was coming off line. Jerry still owns this truck, (this is Jerry's peterbilt in the same scheme).
www.overdriveonline.com/trucker-of-the-month-4/

The Nugget was on the back of KW releasing the Kenworth VIT where they introduced the diamond tuck interior and the bicentenial which was the intro of the Aerodyne in the late 70's in the usa.
www.hankstruckpictures.com/david_miller.htm
It took australia till the mid 80's to do their thing, it's also interesting to note that KW in the USA stopped producing the A/W-model in 82 with glider kits available till 84 after which point Aust introduced the full headliner 9non plastic which is still available through parts) and also the nugget.

More
12 years 2 weeks ago #66252 by Ryan
the difference between the early and later model J brackets is the length. i would advise you to find an "ordinary one to cut up and two off and newer model and weld the required pieces on. this is what i have had to do with my w-model.

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
12 years 2 weeks ago #66253 by Swishy

Ryan
gudday M8

Wot B the significance of 1976 Oz Bilt KW
Have n a gold mist sprayed (soon 2 B washed off) over the Kenworth badge on side of hood?
Is it 2 do with KW Oz being 5 years old
Or sum Yanky BS era

Thanx in advance
Cya
[ch9787]

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

12 years 2 weeks ago #66254 by
Not sure where Ryan is coming from refering to GOLD NUGGETS as all aerodynes ? That has got me beat . I have never heard or seen an Aerodyne Gold Nugget ? What say every one else ? :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

More
12 years 2 weeks ago - 12 years 2 weeks ago #66255 by Chocs
Arrrrrrr C'mon ol mate, get with the program.... ;)
'Aerodyne' style sleeper box roof........

chocs 8-)

12 years 2 weeks ago #66256 by

Ryan
gudday M8

Wot B the significance of 1976 Oz Bilt KW
Have n a gold mist sprayed (soon 2 B washed off) over the Kenworth badge on side of hood?
Is it 2 do with KW Oz being 5 years old
Or sum Yanky BS era

Thanx in advance
Cya
[ch9787]

swishy ...may have been to do with the badges being five years old ;D ;D ;D ;D

More
12 years 2 weeks ago #66257 by 600Dodge

A couple of pics of a nugget that belongs to a living legend out Broken Hill.

. . ;).Anyone know who bought this new.Would love to let him know a bit of its history. :-/

Just interested to know who said this bloke was a living legend???? Wasn't this bloke himself was it?

Time to create page: 0.479 seconds