Skip to main content

Bridges

More
11 years 5 months ago - 11 years 5 months ago #97868 by bigcam
Bridges was created by bigcam
Vic as in Vichung sent me this.

www.prochan.com/view?p=da1_1351183858
Last edit: 11 years 5 months ago by bigcam.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
11 years 5 months ago #97869 by Dodge fan
Replied by Dodge fan on topic Re: Bridges
Amazing! Just like Montague St in South Melbourne which is obviously very low, and despite warnings and flashing lights, some steering wheel attendants still manage to clean it up on a regular basis :-/
It was instant dismissal if we went under the old Dudley St bridges when empty. It was a no go zone :-[
Billy 8-)

Playing around at Dodge City
Dodge AT4-760&&FB Holden Ute

More
11 years 5 months ago #97870 by BK
Replied by BK on topic Re: Bridges
I've seen a few come undone under the rail bridge opposite the old Boggo road jail in Brissy, a trailer load of empty 44's (no gates) sorta spread out ;D , but the best was a load of cornflakes, whole area about 2 feet deep in tarp,cardboard and cornflakes. ::)

Trust me

More
11 years 5 months ago #97871 by craigs
Replied by craigs on topic Re: Bridges
Montague st, 18 months ago, Citylink closed for maintenaince. Semi Fridge pan full of yogurt. Did a good job though. Got it all the way under. Bobcat and tipper to pick up the mess.

Craig

More
11 years 5 months ago #97872 by bigcam
Replied by bigcam on topic Re: Bridges
BK, the deathtrap at Rocklea still claims quite a few. When we had a shed in Andrew st, ID Transport was accross the road, they had a few not quite go under it. They had a louisville body truck with a Tautliner chiller on it and it peeled the first 4 or 5 crossmembers off the main runners on the body. Willy, the workshop boss reckons they had one bloke just got out of the truck after he hit the bridge and they never saw him again.

We had a tilt tray we had built with a council caravan on the back hit one of those low bridges over at Milton, old mate was seriously lucky he was wearing a seat belt. The caravan hit the bridge and stood the truck up until the underlift hit the ground, then the winch cable snapped and shot him out. The only bit of the caravan left on the tilt tray was the drawbar, the only damage to the tilt tray was a broken winch cable, and old mate had a big bruise across him where the seat belt goes.

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
11 years 5 months ago #97873 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Re: Bridges

RE: Montague St in South Melbourne

As there B many Lo Bridges round Melb
we have all our trucks cut down to the height of the lights or air horn bout 10'3" for memory
also our ol shed twaz th@ lo too
B 4 the Fwy twaz bilt in Sth Melb
We would run under the Montague st bridge when MT with no worries

eye'll fast 4ward...................

one day eye twaz MT n returnin 2 our yard headin sth from Footscray Rd
@ Normanby Rd the lights were green so me kept peddlin to go straight under the Montague st Bridge
as me went under ...............noticed 3 bran new Phord Looseleybilts follo me
the first looey got all the way under n the twin staxz nokd down to cab height....the 2nd looey got half way under n stopped with the stax lay n back...the 3rd Looey ran into the back of the one under the bridge
All F/Male drivers deliverin new trucks
they were told if U get lost round Sth Melbourne just follow any of the trucks head n U're way
Cya

LOL

[ch9787]

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
11 years 4 months ago #97874 by Hi Beam
Replied by Hi Beam on topic Re: Bridges
Ah yes low bridges.

When Jack Ehret was young and very green he loaded at Rudders in Pyrmont. They put the usual load of general on him, 12 tons and 15

More
11 years 4 months ago #97875 by Roderick Smith
Replied by Roderick Smith on topic Re: Bridges
The one which comes to my attention most often is Spencer St at Flinders St (Melbourne, Vic.). When a truck drops a load, or tips sideways, it blocks trams. A tour bus also decked itself there within the last few years (or was that at Montague?).

At the next level, road-bridge builders are notorious for building bridges over watercourses to suit roads, and not water traffic.
In Victoria: early 1960s Maribyrnong River at West Maribyrnong. The piers are not in line with the water. A boat has to come from the mud on one bank, across the river, and onto the mud on the next bank.
1960s Barmah is worse: there is a strong current too. Houseboat hirers won't let their vessels be taken under it.
There is also the height issue. Yarra River is constrained by both Spencer St bridge and King St bridge. Queensbridge isn't much better. IIRC Melbourne Water runs an online height monitor according to the tide. I came under Spencer St in fear, but I had my deckie out checking as I came under the crown of the main arch. These bridges are why Yarra River party boats are built to look like garbage scows.
Back to the trigger video: a Chinese luxury boat captain did the same thing, when coming under a bridge with no load in the boat.
tgr.ph/JNJI26
www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/...hes-into-bridge.html

Some of the Rhine pleasure boats are semi submersible: they can fill ballast tanks to get under the lowest bridges.

The barge bringing in a new container crane for Swanson Dock was brought under West Gate with the help of electronic wizardry: simulation of tide and wind. It cleared by only centimetres. An international racing yacht got under Bolte by an application of year 9 Pythagoras: it was angled sideways by cables from shore. The German naval sail vessel Gorch Foch was too big for that trick. The rest of the 1988 fleet got into Darling Harbour; it stayed on the seaward side of Sydney Harbour Bridge. IIRC some/all of the Cunard Queens can't get under the bridge either. When there are two in port, one gets the sole international berth at Circular Quay; the other uses the Navy dock at Garden Island.

The old trick for a truckie in the know was to reduce tyre pressure, then reinflate.

Chubby Checker (a raunchy pun) 'Limbo rock':
<
;
'How low can you go?'.

Roderick B Smith
Rail News Victoria Editor

More
11 years 4 months ago #97876 by camma
Replied by camma on topic Re: Bridges
For Future Reference:
To all that will get stuck under a bridge,
When the Authorites turn up and give you a greasy look and call you an idiot etc, just tell the that you are carrying the bridge and the truck broke down. ;D ;D ;D ;D

Please help me. I need Commer Parts

More
11 years 4 months ago #97877 by Tatra
Replied by Tatra on topic Re: Bridges
These bridges are everywhere...
http://www.heute.at/storage/scl/bilder/leserreporter-fotos/558490_m1msw456q75s1v9731_lkwbruecke.jpg?version=1353325268

This is a notorious railway bridge in Vienna which regularly claims victims.

and another one...

http://www.overclockers.at/attachment.php?attachmentid=154241

Not a low bridge, no a truck but I had to put it here :o

Merry, free from incident X-Mass,

T

Time to create page: 0.515 seconds