Skip to main content

Exploding ACCO

More
11 years 1 month ago #111234 by kleener
Exploding ACCO was created by kleener
For the last six months I have been in the process of moving my farm from near Canberra up to the Northern Rivers. As my elderly Hino was both too sick and too small for the task, and as my bank account was, as is usual, seriously challenged, I purchased an 1830C acco, powered, for want of a better word, by a D358 Neuss, running through a 4 1/2 speed box (lets not talk about 4th OK) and spinning a 2 speed diff, unless it wasn't.

Due to other commitments I sent two of my sons to inspect and purchase the truck, if suitable, and bless their souls they didn't notice a few minor things, like the rust in the floor and the extreme lack of power occasioned by 130hp rated motor at the end of its life attempting to drag 6.5 tonnes plus unladen around.

In any event, apart from the lack of power, it isn't a bad truck, and I made five successful 2000 km round trips, carting livestock, machinery, household stuff etc. The worst was probably when I had the stock crate on and a load of cattle. I figured we were probably close to 15 tonne (and legal for 13.7) as we went into Marulan, and the sign flashed "divert to weighbridge" then quickly turned off when the breeze carried the delicate aroma of nervous cows to staff.

Anyhow the last scheduled trip, I set off with a few strainers on the back and the intention of picking up some furniture and my little Isuzu. I got through Kempsey, just ahead of the remnants of a cyclone, barrelled past Port at speeds approaching 80 kmh, past Taree- then KERBANG- we ceased to proceed in a flurry of smoke, oil and idiot lights. fortunately on a down hill run to a rest area.

Then of course the bloody rain caught up and we had 6 inches in the next 10 hours. Which can I say was interesting, in the dark, under the truck in 2 inches of water and 3 of oil, in the dark with a dim torch trying to find what had happened.

Then it was hitchhike to a truck stop, call a heavy vehicle recovery, wait many hours (did I mention this was the Sunday of a long weekend?) because the local truck was off the road and a rig had to come from newie, tow the old bugger back to Taree, hitch a ride back to Newcastle with the recovery truck, then train it to my brother's place at Picton and borrow his 3 tonner. (As an aside can I say that people who ride trains are very brave, or insane)

SO the purpose of this novel I have an inter with a D358 Neuss, in which no 4 piston decided it wanted to go sideways instead of up and down.

As I am up for a bucket of money, I want to repower, to make it worthwhile - I am not in a position to spend $10k plus for a perkins phaser.. does anyone know if a DT466 will fit in the ACCO 1830 C, or how about a Cummins 903, as I can obtain these at a reasonable price and they will help with the power.

Looking at the DT466 in an old T2670, the compressor is mounted very high and actually comes up above where the floor line would be in the 1830- could that be easily remounted, bearing in mind it is 500 km from my workshop so I am going to have to pay someone $100/hr to do the job.
OR I can get a complete 2670 with a rusted out cab but a good Cummins and fair drive train, Can the 1830 cab be adapted to that truck?

Also anybody want a backload from down Canberra way for a NKR short Isuzu (a bit over 2 tonne and/or a Drott 100B inter (about 9 tonne)
Many thanks

Broken down farmer
CW41 Tipper, Cw41 Beavertail, Cw41 8 wheeler, CWA45 + Dog + Tag, Volvo F724, Mercedes 1424 Tautliner, CK Single Drive Prime Mover. 1982 Hino Bus converted to motorhome.
I am a masochist.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
11 years 1 month ago #111235 by hayseed
Replied by hayseed on topic Re: Exploding ACCO

does anyone know if a DT466 will fit in the ACCO 1830 C, or how about a Cummins 903

Mate, NFI 'bout the 466 (but I doubt It) 903 "would" fit after a LOT of work,

However, your old Gearbox, Diff,Tailshaft, Radiator (Plus heaps of other bitsnpieces) will need to be upgraded....

As you've done five trips (10,000Ks) with It. I'd suggest it Owes you very little...

So either get another Nuess to put in It, Or just cut your loss's & sell to a wrecker or scrappy....

Just My Opinion..........

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

More
11 years 1 month ago #111236 by kleener
Replied by kleener on topic Re: Exploding ACCO
that is what I am thinking - but it has two full tanks of diesel aboard, and neuss's are getting a bit like rocking horse do do

Broken down farmer
CW41 Tipper, Cw41 Beavertail, Cw41 8 wheeler, CWA45 + Dog + Tag, Volvo F724, Mercedes 1424 Tautliner, CK Single Drive Prime Mover. 1982 Hino Bus converted to motorhome.
I am a masochist.

More
11 years 1 month ago #111237 by hayseed
Replied by hayseed on topic Re: Exploding ACCO
They did fit the DT466 to ACCO's IE; 2350E (I think)

But you'll have the same driveline(ECT) issues.........

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

More
11 years 1 month ago #111238 by Mrsmackpaul
Replied by Mrsmackpaul on topic Re: Exploding ACCO
those neuss's are very common in tractors 886 786 986 ? and proberly a heap of other things with an IH badge you can by those tractors for five or so grand sounds to me a lot cheaper than $10,000. but what do I no? :) regards Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
11 years 1 month ago #111239 by kleener
thanks Paul, and before I needed one they were everywhere, even better the ones with the DT358 - haven't seen a decent one since, only the "blows lots of smoke and needs half a can of ether"specials

Broken down farmer
I am a masochist.

More
11 years 1 month ago #111240 by Mrsmackpaul
Replied by Mrsmackpaul on topic Re: Exploding ACCO
I know how you feel it's always the way :D :D :D

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
11 years 1 month ago - 11 years 1 month ago #111241 by bigcam
Replied by bigcam on topic Re: Exploding ACCO
10 grand? just go and buy youself a Jap 8 tonner, less greif, more go and a lot easier.
An 1830 C would be 25 odd years old, if not more, you'll buy a Jap truck newer than that for $10,000.
When did the c's come out? early 80's at a guess.
Early 80's anything shpould be cheap.
If you want a 903, buy a 3070, it'll be cheaper than trying to put one in a 1830.

As a sort of rule of thumb with trucks, once they approach 10 years old, there value decreases a lot because it is harder to get finance on something 10 years old and the finance companiesd look at its value if they have to take it back. So the older trucks drop in value rapidly after 10 years.

Sorry mate, I don't mean to come accross as a smart ar$e, sounds like the old girl has done its bit, just trying to keep it in perspective with the value of the truck compared with buying something else to do the job.
Last edit: 11 years 1 month ago by bigcam.

More
11 years 1 month ago #111242 by kleener
Thanks for the replies.
The point is I don't have any intention of spending $10k, the reason I was asking about those motors was because I can get them for next to nothing, but if I have to pay someone to put em in, I was sure it would cost big bucks, I asked just in case it was easier than I suspected. I like the ACCO in a number of ways, it is sturdy, has great brakes, paint, suspension, rubber, chassis and tray are all good, Cab is fine now and it is OK to drive, just slow - well non mobile at the moment. If I can get a drop in motor for a reasonable price, I will do it, otherwise I will scrap her. If it was closer to home, would not be a problem, would just stick her in the shed until a motor came up that I could make fit, but she's not.

Broken down farmer
I am a masochist.

More
11 years 1 month ago #111243 by jchomley
Replied by jchomley on topic Re: Exploding ACCO
I have no idea what the D358 would be worth s/h but IF you want to keep the truck, just replace with the same engine?
Try here......

www.tradervs.com.au/detail/powertrain/en...nal/d358-neuss/10877

Cheers

Time to create page: 0.527 seconds