Skip to main content

Exploding ACCO

More
11 years 1 month ago #111244 by kleener
Replied by kleener on topic Re: Exploding ACCO
thanks Jack that was someone I hadn't found before - I had some silly quotes so far for D358's 6 and 7 thousand..which I consider is about 3 or 4 times at least what they are worth.

Broken down farmer
CW41 Tipper, Cw41 Beavertail, Cw41 8 wheeler, CWA45 + Dog + Tag, Volvo F724, Mercedes 1424 Tautliner, CK Single Drive Prime Mover. 1982 Hino Bus converted to motorhome.
I am a masochist.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
11 years 1 month ago #111245 by jchomley
Replied by jchomley on topic Re: Exploding ACCO
Give these guys a call, they have reco ones, but I see they are wrecking an 1830A, might be worth a try....

toowoombatruckwreckers.com/reco-engines.html

Cheers

More
11 years 1 month ago - 11 years 1 month ago #111246 by kleener
I think I have spoken to Toowoomba- they were at the high end of WTF I think 85 or so for a reco 358
Though I may have found a complete truck that is rusted out but allegedly good mechanically that they will swap for a 4wd I have sitting here

Broken down farmer
CW41 Tipper, Cw41 Beavertail, Cw41 8 wheeler, CWA45 + Dog + Tag, Volvo F724, Mercedes 1424 Tautliner, CK Single Drive Prime Mover. 1982 Hino Bus converted to motorhome.
I am a masochist.
Last edit: 11 years 1 month ago by kleener.

More
11 years 1 month ago #111247 by AUSSIE TD-40
Replied by AUSSIE TD-40 on topic Re: Exploding ACCO
I know were you are coming from, the cheapest and easiest to fit will be a D358, as you are away from your home workshop. What about a Perkins 354?? it would get you going cheap and later you could up grade, any one know if that's a straight swap?

the last D358 I had went to a bloke with a 1830 who said if you are going to use a Neuss in a truck then you better have a spare ready to go! they are good in tractors tho.

Jake.

INTER TRUCKS, B-3, L-120, AL160, AACO180D, R-190, RD-200
plus a few Inter tractors eta
WARWICK QLD AUSTRALIA

More
11 years 1 month ago #111248 by kleener
the 6-354 is almost a straight swap, and was one of the original options, and a much better motor IMHO. I had a phase 3 turbo lined up, in a clean and original C1300 4 x 4 for $2,500. but someone got in under my nose.. otherwise it is hard and expensive to find a good one, or even a rebuild prospect

Broken down farmer
I am a masochist.

More
11 years 1 month ago #111249 by Sarge
Replied by Sarge on topic Re: Exploding ACCO
Kleener, your lovely story is like every story of blokes trying to make a quid 30 & 40 years ago. We all wish you well and just bloody grateful it is you not me/us ;) ;) ;)

Keep us posted, we will want to hear how you go and with what.
Good luck
/me

Sarge B)
ACCO Owner, Atkinson dreamer.

More
11 years 1 month ago #111250 by kleener
Thanks Sarge, the real worry is 35 years ago or so I was doing the same thing. :( Think I'd learn eventually, except in those days there wasn't any hope for something as flash as the ACCO, it was mostly the old AA160 with hungry boards and a couple of extra spring leaves, carting 12 tonne of wheat at a go to the silos. Made going up hill very interesting.

Broken down farmer
I am a masochist.

More
11 years 1 month ago #111251 by elgindale
Replied by elgindale on topic Re: Exploding ACCO
Don't let anyone talk you into fitting a DV550 your neuss would be a rocket in comparison. The perkins is a good option for these trucks but original is always easiest especially if you are paying some one to fit it. There is a 1830 at a clearing sale at Millmerran tomorrow it may be the cheap option I will be there so could bid for you if you are interested I will have a look at it today and see what its like.

More
11 years 1 month ago #111252 by kleener
thanks elgindale, I have two possibilities that are a little closer at the moment, but thanks for the kind offer (and I know having said this, both will be unsuitable or fall through) such is life

Broken down farmer
I am a masochist.

More
11 years 1 month ago #111253 by jchomley
Replied by jchomley on topic Re: Exploding ACCO
Think about this.......rough as it may seem.
Drop the sump off the motor and see what bits are laying in the bottom, undo the big end for number 4 and see what the bearing is like......I am assuming you still had oil pressure when you shut it off. Take off the head and try to salvage the head gasket, fish out the broken piston, rod etc.....IF the big end of the rod will fit up the liner. Not ever having had a D358 apart....I don't know.
When you get the rod out, hacksaw it apart just above the big end, if you can't get it out, you will have to try and cut it, from the bottom side of the motor.
With the head off, have a geek at the liner.......did water end up in the sump when it died? If no leak, you are lucky! IF the liner is cracked/holed you will need to bog it up with Devcon, so the cooling system will hold water.
Then, take the big end part of the rod and refit to the crank journal.
Spray the head gasket with silver frost and refit the head, add a few more foot/pounds to the recommended torque setting. Also pull the push rods etc for the intake/exhaust valves etc.
Put a piece of rubber hose over the injector line nipple and run that into the fuel tank.
You should now have a 5 cyl D358 that runs, sure it won't pull the skin off a rice pudding but......it will drive, with some vibration. ;)

Cheers

Time to create page: 0.487 seconds