Skip to main content

True or False, was there ever a JAPANESE WHITE

More
13 years 8 months ago #24251 by BillyDodge1947
The White 5000 was called Japanese freightliner

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
13 years 6 months ago #24252 by Fuller-Vit
The HE Hino was sold in NZ along with a Bogie drive model The HH.
The HH and the ZM 742E had a v8 Hino engine wit a 6 speed box and a 2 speed electric splitter. The V8 was about 290 HP and bloody brave, the gearbox on the other hand was absolute crap with the splitter constantly jumping out of the long cog.
Know them well as I bought a ZM new back in NZ in 1976.

In the beginning God created Seddon and ERF

More
13 years 6 months ago #24253 by Fuller-Vit
The white Hino with the pan body is either a KB or KR Hino.
Naturally aspirated 6 around 180 hp and wouldnt pull a crook gin off a piss pot ;)

In the beginning God created Seddon and ERF

More
12 years 5 months ago #24254 by Frog
Hey, I used to own one of these and put a mile or two on it. Indeed, that's a Japanese White -- a White 5000. I drove my 59 model back in 1976 thru 1984. It was a Japanese White because of those curved windshields that had the droopy bottom section. But you can't say that because it's racist, eh? This was back when trucks all still had two flat pieces of windshield glass, not too big either; but these Japanese Whites had huge windshields. That truck was experimental from one end to the other: a Full-Air shifter (really; that's what it was called; a Fuller RTO ten speed pre twin shafts transmission with this air operated shifter gizmo on top of it with a bunch of quarter inch air hoses, a gearshift rod the size of a pencil, and a shiftknob the size of a pingpong ball. This thing jammed up all the time, and it was just hell getting it unstuck. And you better make sure it was out of gear when you parked it because it had an air clutch! No feel to it at ALL! The radiator went up with the cab! You can imagine all the S shaped hoses that took! Tell you what, though -- it was ALL Fibre-Glas, and does not have hardly ANY straight = slabsided parts to it, except the floor. It was as curvaceous as the contemporaneous Chevrolet Corvette. I could tell you more about these things, they were so idiosyncratic, but I'll just finish up by saying that I really and truly loved that truck of mine. I had it painted white, too. All white. I hope there's one in a museum somewhere; or better yet, I hope there's at least one of them still out hauling, with its naturally aspirated Cummins 220 that could just barely haul eighty grand up and over the Grapevine here in California. Let me end up with this: Back then they had overall length limits in California and they also had some pretty big doubles trailers; so this White 5000 was what was first called a "pancake cab". The Driver's knees really were at the absolute front of the cab and his back was at the back of the cab if the cab didn't have a sleeper. Mine was a two axle but it had started off life as a three axle.

12 years 5 months ago #24255 by
g'day all swishy put up the pic of the 1938 dump truck with ''balloon'' tyres. i have heard or been told that these are in fact ''grass'' tyres and pretty much all you could get because of the demands of coming out of the depression, and then the supply constraints caused by the war effort.

these tyres mostly show up on period photos from the mid 'thirties.

cheers

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
12 years 5 months ago #24256 by Swishy

tective
M80
RE: Balloon tyre jiggr

the front of the grille looks like the rise n sun
can any body decipher how the hood bonnet tilts or how U get to the power plant
(Side tilt possible.... Y/N)
Cya
[ch9786]

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
12 years 5 months ago #24257 by brisbeddy
Looks like there is a Pivot on the Front, so maybe it does tilt to the Sides. Also maybe lifting Lugs on 3 Points, maybe it needs to be lifted.
Cheers
Dieter

It sucks to get old and decrepit !

More
12 years 5 months ago - 12 years 5 months ago #24258 by hayseed
You've got an eye bolt; at the front over the 'white', another one just in front of the windscreen, to the right of the steering wheel. & I assume another at same point on the other side!!

I'd be guessing; you'd lift it off (or up), using the 3 eye bolts...

The only way it'd tilt sideways, was if it took the radiator & headlights with it..........

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -
Last edit: 12 years 5 months ago by hayseed.

More
12 years 5 months ago #24259 by Frog
Wouldn't surprise me if the White Truck Company had an arrangement where you had to have your overhead crane handy just so you could check the water and oil. My White 5000 --- The Fibre-glas Japanese White with the droopy Japanese-type eyelid/windshields; there's a great picture of one [timestamp=1321024977] in this thread --- was a real pain to raise the cab; only truck I've ever heard of where the radiator went up with the cab! BUT let's give White Truck Co. RIP credit where credit is due: I bought some used 2 axle tractors from Ringsby Rocket trucking that were the 7000 series, and there has never been, and could not be, a tractor that could be easier to raise the cab of. You flipped one lockdown -- maybe two, I forget, like one big one and one little safety one --- and then, with your fingertips, you could tilt that big square cab just by grabbing the bottom step. It was BALANCED! 1960s and it had air ride seat(s). The 7000 was as plain Jane as the 5000 was experimental. I like the way this White heavy duty dump from 1938 with the rising-sun grille and the rockproof hood showed how White would come up with whatever's necessary and whatever works, no matter how outlandish. And after all, who would be operating a mining hauler like that who didn't have a cherry picker so you could check the oil?

12 years 5 months ago #24260 by
g'day frog and all the europeans have had tilt cab and radiator since, at least, the late sixties in the g series volvo's and the all the scanias that came to this country.

cheers

Time to create page: 0.523 seconds