• Topic Author
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
7 years 2 months ago #179659 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic WotZit
Murray dun got it

Yes by Gosh tiz a
Oshkosh Truck

Oshkosh Truck was founded by William R. Besserdich and Bernhard A. Mosling in 1917. The two men had received patents in 1914 and 1915 for improvements on four-wheel-drive capability. Besserdich and Mosling approached several established automobile manufacturers--including Ford, Packard, and Studebaker--about using their designs to produce a four-wheel-drive vehicle. After a series of rejections, they decided to start their own company. Handling the business end of the operation, Mosling sold stock in the new company, raising $250,000 in capital. Meanwhile, master engineer Besserdich was busy coming up with a prototype vehicle design. In May of 1917, the Wisconsin Duplex Auto Company, located in Clintonville, Wisconsin, was incorporated. Besserdich was the company's president, and Mosling was listed as its manager and secretary. The prototype vehicle was a four-cylinder, three-speed, 3,000-pound truck called Old Betsy. The success of Old Betsy's four-wheel-drive components attracted investors. Since many of the investors were based in Oshkosh, 47 miles south of Clintonville, the company relocated there toward the end of 1917 and changed its name to Oshkosh Motor Truck Manufacturing Company.

Wotzit # 393

Cya

§

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 2 months ago #179661 by murray2230
Replied by murray2230 on topic WotZit
Winther snowblower made by Winther Motor and Truck Company

• Swishy
  • Topic Author
More
7 years 2 months ago #179682 by Swishy
Murray Dun got it
Wheel Dun Muzza

tiz A:
Winther snowblower

Martin P. Winther incorporated Winther Motor and Truck Company in December 1916, initially manufacturing a rear-drive Winther truck. Shortly after, the factory manufactured the 4-wheel-drive Winther truck, and the Winther passenger car 1920-23. The truck cabs were open and fitted with low doors. Initial capacities were 2, 3, 4 and 6 tons and were priced from $2,750 to $4,600. Later vehicles extended the line and included trucks in the 1 to 7 ton range. As early as 1919 the company claimed that the Winthers vehicles were the dominating truck in the U.S. Navy.

Wotzit # 394

cya

§

Attachments:

More
7 years 2 months ago #179686 by allan
Replied by allan on topic WotZit
And bonus drinks from Swishy if you can name the steersman too!

• Anonymous
7 years 2 months ago #179694 by Anonymous
Replied by Anonymous on topic Wotzit
I think that is a photo of Stephen's Steam Whim used for carting logs in WA in the early 19oo's.

• Swishy
  • Topic Author
More
7 years 2 months ago #179706 by Swishy
AnoyMouse
Gudday M8

here the §wishy haz bin werk n hiz fingers 2 the bone in do n selected snap shots
4 all 2 N Joy

n U dun got it

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT3kZTI62NXT8WIMTUPlT-g-1OR2a8esmatSb7tcvlD2xJJHsNlAAhttps://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT3kZTI62NXT8WIMTUPlT-g-1OR2a8esmatSb7tcvlD2xJJHsNlAA

Well dun tiz a:
Stevens Steam Whim

Wotzit # 395

OK then
Try thiz on fir size
:lol:

cya

§

Attachments:

More
7 years 2 months ago - 7 years 2 months ago #179708 by PDU
Replied by PDU on topic WotZit
Hang on Swishy, I've been dredging my way through WW1 West Australian Records trying to answer the second part of your question - you know. werk n ma fingers 2 the bone too!
As there were only five people who actually managed to handle the "wee" beasty and it is NOT Harry Stephen Snr; it could be Harry Stephen Jnr, or his brother Jim (reasonable possibility - some resemblance?) OR George Fisk, or George Scott. :blink: Unfortunately despite finding various references I could not positively identify the "steersman" :dry: and would say the chances of doing so are considerably less than slim unless there are some family records somewhere I couldn't find? Maybe the answer is lost in the sands of time . . .. :S
Last edit: 7 years 2 months ago by PDU.

More
7 years 2 months ago - 7 years 2 months ago #179709 by PDU
Replied by PDU on topic WotZit
Thornycroft or Dennis?

Maybe even an Albion Victor (but unlikely!?)
Last edit: 7 years 2 months ago by PDU.

Time to create page: 0.670 seconds