Skip to main content

Desperately needing Inter 282 engine specs

More
13 years 6 months ago #35912 by kennymopar2
the motor is looking good ..tell us how yo go with the 350 holley ..i attempted to do the same once .. but chickened out due to the asthmatic inlet manifold design

Please Log in to join the conversation.

13 years 6 months ago - 13 years 6 months ago #35913 by
Cobba - I can't believe you couldn't acquire a reconditioned or good used original carby. The original is a BXUV-3 Stromberg, and the same basic carby was fitted to Holden, Bedfords, Toranas, early Commodores, and probably a heap of other vehicles as well.

The original Inter Stromberg carby P/N for the C-line (and D-line - from 1966 to 1978), is 2375019. You could buy a new BXUV-3 as a "Universal Carburettor" .. and it came in 3 sizes and 4 models .. up to 200 cu in, 200-280 cu in, and over 280 cu in.
The Stromberg Universal Carburettor P/N for the largest size was 2375006. I have the Stromberg carburettor manual for all the Australian-built or sold vehicles, and it gives reams of info on them .. from P/No's, kit P/No's, gasket kit P/No's, specifications, exploded parts diagrams and numbers cross-reference. Fantastic manual, it's around 145 pages. I personally think your carby man didn't try too hard.

www.carburetor-parts.com/servlet/the-382...rburetor-core/Detail

More
13 years 6 months ago #35914 by kennymopar2
i believe our friend cobba was after a few more ponies thats why he opted for a 2 barrel over the original single barrel . .

More
13 years 6 months ago #35915 by cobba
Gday Kenny.
I remember you saying that a 350 wasn't gunna work which is why I was leaning toward a WW instead but I am pretty confident that with the mods to the manifold that it will draw alright.
If it doesn't then it has been an expensive experiment in futility.

Ronny. I could of had 50 single carrel Strombergs but I couldn't find much info on what was what with them. The carbi shops can reco them ok but didn't seem too helpful with what was what amongst them. I could have bought one reco'd to fit a Holden without a problem but had know idea what CFMs they were.

The main reason I went this way was that eventually (in the next 6 months) I am going to put this truck on LPG and was after a high flowing carb. Don't know if I am right or not but my way of thinking says that a 2 barrel would be better than a single barrel for LPG.

More
13 years 6 months ago #35916 by kennymopar2
i agree 100% the bigger the carb better for lpg .. i think i "bored" out my (spare inlet manifold i had the time)and my home made adaptor was a "cone" shape ..unfortunally i never fitted it to the truck . . for a ww stromberg the P76s had them and at 269ci prob the closest to your 282ci engine .. if for some reason the holley becomes a impossible fitment still try a ww stromy or even a carter 2bbl from a 265 hemi ..at the end of the day if your going to run the motor on gas anything bigger than the original carb will help

More
13 years 6 months ago #35917 by cobba

i believe our friend cobba was after a few more ponies thats why he opted for a 2 barrel over the original single barrel . .

Yep, that's what I was chasing. A few more ponies. Not taking it to the drags or anything, just trying to get it up and going better.
I had them deck the block by a millimeter or so and a bit off the head as well. I am hoping to push the compression up from 6.9:1 to a little closer to 8 or better.

As I said, all this is aimed at making it a better engine for LPG down the track.

More
13 years 6 months ago #35918 by kennymopar2
a mm is "40 thou" .. i decked my old V8 dodge block 70thou" .. it does make a difference .. at least on a 6cyl you dont have to grind the inlet manifold back as well !
cheers keep us up to date with the rebuild of the beast

13 years 6 months ago #35919 by
There are two things to do with LPG to get maximum performance. Advance your spark by up to 10

More
13 years 6 months ago #35920 by cobba
Yep, that's pretty much how I remember it too Ronny. set the timing at about 15 BTDC, but if your running dual fuel then as far advanced as you can go when on petrol without causing pre detonation.

I was advised not to go too far with decking of the block as it will alter the rocker angle and cause premature valve stem/guide wear.
Was told that by 2 engine reconditioners within a week of each other so there must be something in it.

Was also told that the Inter engine wouldn't handle running high compressions and would self destruct in a short period of time. The engine shop told me about a 345 they decked 3mm off the block of and it went to pieces after 300Ks. I would imagine the customer wasn't too happy with that. :(

More
13 years 6 months ago #35921 by kennymopar2
3mm is 120thou ? . . . thats a big cut maybe not enough metal left for a solid seal of the head gasket ..

Time to create page: 0.485 seconds