Skip to main content

Brakes Bedford J5 truck

More
3 years 6 months ago - 3 years 6 months ago #215318 by Dutchman
Hallo, first I am a newbie on this platform an d I am Dutch, sorry for my poor Englisch.
My Bedford J5 has problems with the brake, the pedal goes lina directa to the floor, w.o functions.
I found out the brake booster is not good, it shows problems for a very long period of bad maintenance.

There is a pipe housing on the mounting house of the brake booster, no connecting, air in and out free. What is the function off this connection?

I place photo`s for clearance and show.

Attachments:
Last edit: 3 years 6 months ago by Sarge.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 years 6 months ago #215334 by asw120
Replied by asw120 on topic Brakes Bedford J5 truck
Hi Dutchman and welcome! We have a few Bedford people here. I'm sure someone familiar with this system will be able to assist soon. All the best.

Jarrod.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dutchman

More
3 years 6 months ago #215344 by Brocky45
Replied by Brocky45 on topic Brakes Bedford J5 truck
Not sure if this will answer your question?? The older boosters need fresh air to operate. the fresh air (14 psi) pushes against the diaphragm as the vacuum pulls it.. My 1955 Ford F-600 vacuum booster has a fresh air hose which comes up behind the seat with a filter on it.

More
3 years 6 months ago #215346 by Dutchman
Replied by Dutchman on topic Brakes Bedford J5 truck
Yes, it`s possible the booster needs air outside. But I am not sure they need an one way valve too? Only air in...?

Then an other question, is it possibble to activate the brake system w.o brake booster? You need more muscle for your leg...good training plan. The vacuum pump working great and the ballast tank don`t have leakage`s. I don`t know it is an easy job to rebuild a brake booster and where can I find seal kit?

More
3 years 6 months ago #215350 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic Brakes Bedford J5 truck
Yes the brakes will work without the booster......the system is designed to work without the booster ,if it fails........However ,if the pedal goes to the floor ,the trouble could be anywhere from master cylinder fail,booster fluid leak, leaking pipe to a wheel cylinder leak.......typically ,if the truck is in poor condition ,the brakes must be gone right thru to make them work at all.

More
3 years 6 months ago #215363 by Morris
Replied by Morris on topic Brakes Bedford J5 truck
Hello Dutchman Welcome to the forum. Welcome from Australia.
I am sure there are many Bedford owners here who can supply information for you.

I have never worked on a Bedford but I have some questions for you:-
1. Has your Bedford been unused for along time
2. Are you sure they problem is in the brake booster?

If the brakes have not been used for a long time the Master Cylinder may require anew overhaul kit, and the cylinbder in each wheel may need dis-assembling

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!

More
3 years 6 months ago #215365 by Morris
Replied by Morris on topic Brakes Bedford J5 truck
Hello Dutchman, I do not know why my message sent itself to the forum while I was in the middle of typing it.
To continue,
Each wheel cylinder may need dis-assembly and a new kit fitted and possibly one or more wheel cylinders may require honing or if the bore is not smooth, it may need re-sleeving. We usually have stainless steel sleeves made and fitted. A brake repair business in your Country will be able to advise you on the process.

Regards, Morris.

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!

More
3 years 6 months ago - 3 years 6 months ago #215367 by Brocky45
Replied by Brocky45 on topic Brakes Bedford J5 truck
I can send you the contact info for a booster rebuild shop in Winston Salem NC USA if you can not find anything in England or Western Europe..
Last edit: 3 years 6 months ago by Brocky45.

More
3 years 6 months ago #215368 by Dutchman
Replied by Dutchman on topic Brakes Bedford J5 truck
Yes I am affraid for that, the truck has a long time no drive. I have bought new seal kit for the main master brake cylinder, the cups and seals are very bad. I am waiting for the goods from UK. Ebay.

The brake oil was disappeard, leakage!

I think to make a new start, first the master cylinder must be working fine. Control off all lines with leak testing air and compressor/press.meter.

Is it possible to install. a new universal brake set? The brake pedal
has modification for that.

I let you know @Brocky45, thanks.

@Morris, I am sure needs to do this job, overhaul everything...contamination!

More
3 years 6 months ago - 3 years 6 months ago #215369 by Eightpot
Replied by Eightpot on topic Brakes Bedford J5 truck
Two sources in the UK, which is a bit closer to Dutchman in the Netherlands:-

1) Norman Aish to be found at bygonebedfordbits.co.uk for parts including the J type.

2). Ian Wannacott. Website:- www.classic-spares.co.uk , Email:- ian@classic-spares.co.uk . He supplies hydraulic brake and clutch parts and also has a re-sleeving service for cylinders.
Last edit: 3 years 6 months ago by Eightpot.

Time to create page: 0.600 seconds