Skip to main content

Dodge Paper Trucks.

More
11 years 10 months ago #85316 by Max Cady
Replied by Max Cady on topic Re: Dodge Paper Trucks.
Congratulations Mr Kenny-Mopar, all the best to you and yours.

All those teenage years to look forward to!

"I refuse to become a member of any club that would accept me as a member'

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
11 years 10 months ago #85317 by kenny-mopar
Replied by kenny-mopar on topic Re: Dodge Paper Trucks.
its really scary as we still have a 25 yr old at home & the oldest is 26 ... im looking forward to it though :o

More
11 years 10 months ago - 11 years 10 months ago #85318 by Scummy
Replied by Scummy on topic Re: Dodge Paper Trucks.
I remember one night a paper truck shot past me followed closely by the men in blue when the car got up beside the paper runner a hand with rolled up papers was held out the winda and the men in blue went away ! LOL ha ha ha .
Last edit: 11 years 10 months ago by Scummy.

More
11 years 10 months ago #85319 by craigs
Replied by craigs on topic Re: Dodge Paper Trucks.
Max
Great photo's of a very important part of transport history. Seem's every state had these mad buggers {worse than o/nighter drivers} The photo opposite the Wes Searle dodge looks like an IPEC MAN
Craig

More
11 years 10 months ago #85320 by Andy Wright
Replied by Andy Wright on topic Re: Dodge Paper Trucks.
Congrats, Kenny. I envy you knowing what is to come. Our first is 15 weeks on Thursday and I've already had palpatations about the teenage years. :o

Andy&&&&Whatever rubs your buddah.&&&&Got Bedfords? http://bedfordtr

More
11 years 10 months ago #85321 by Max Cady
Replied by Max Cady on topic Re: Dodge Paper Trucks.
G'day Craig...... mate, the best thing about this forum is posting a question and sittin' back and waiting for a post from people who were at the coal face, doing the miles.
Once again, thanks to Greg for saving all his memories
and sharing them with us.
Detective........ your input on this site is invaluable.
Kenny...... was the reason they didn,t use Inters coz a bigger motor than the 345 wasn't offered?

"I refuse to become a member of any club that would accept me as a member'

More
11 years 10 months ago #85322 by olddon
Replied by olddon on topic Re: Dodge Paper Trucks.
There was a mob in Cootamundra or Young that used to run Inters in the late 60's and the story was that the boss used to hose the brake drums out when the truck got back to the yard and if any brake dust came out,the drive was out the gate.I had a mate that used to mechanic for Wes Searle at North Parramatta and he told me (in 1968)that they used to do Adelaide from Alexandria with Kwikasair freight in 18 hours and i believe it too.

More
11 years 10 months ago #85323 by greg wright
Replied by greg wright on topic Re: Dodge Paper Trucks.
AS i remember the Sydney Morning Herald published once a year a special paper titled HERALD UNLIMITED , Searles used to have the contract for it to SA for many years ,one year a driver made it half way across the HAY Plains , got the grumps and returned to Sydney and told them to stick it , needless to say the papers would have been late into ADELAIDE . well thats the story as i got it .

More
11 years 10 months ago #85324 by greg wright
Replied by greg wright on topic Re: Dodge Paper Trucks.
As a friend of many of WES SEARLES drivers ,WES used to pay a bonus of ?$ for returning empty if they didnt exceed 60 MPH , however when he read the tachograph cards if you hit a pothole or ran over a stone the tachograph would jump up and exceed 60 MPH then the bonus was wiped . thats what i was told until corrected .

More
11 years 10 months ago #85325 by steveb
Replied by steveb on topic Re: Dodge Paper Trucks.
in the 1960s drove overnighters melbourne to albury to wagga for nations express.we had a dodge 353 with a slant 6 in it.it still went like the clappers.cruise all night at 80 mph.or until the tyres.disintegrated.you could only buy rags back then. ran into an old mate bill pickering who still remembers the little dodge.bill was then driving for connells out of euroa ah memories of the good old days

Time to create page: 0.553 seconds