Skip to main content

CAB OVER WHITE ( The angry ant )

More
9 years 6 months ago #106641 by theroadbossman
See that
Quote:

The white on the left had a 180hp v8 cummins fitted. No end of trouble with that one.

Don't ya just luv that ;D

Austral Tourmaster with 6V92T mechanical

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• BillyP
  • I wish i could remember all the things i have forgotten...
More
9 years 6 months ago #106642 by BillyP

dont you blokes be too hard on those old 185 cummins......................

we made a lot of money just keepin em on the road...............

...................Billy...................

I CAME INTO THIS WORLD WITH NOTHING & STILL HAVE MOST OF IT.........................

I used to be a truck driver,
but i am now not a truck driver ,
on a good day i can remember
that i used to be a truck driver.

More
9 years 6 months ago - 9 years 6 months ago #106643 by Arthur U

dont you blokes be too hard on those old 185 cummins......................

we made a lot of money just keepin em on the road...............

...................Billy...................

Actually, it was the starting that gave some headaches. I remember they had to rig up a 24V starting system to start the engine, then it converted back to 12V. The cummins was chosen as it didn't need any nose cone modification done to the body. It sounded like shit compared to the GM diesels.

Back to the cab over's, (30-2262), One became a dedicated heavy haulage truck, the other alternated between carrying logs and pulling the second transporter trailer when needed. No2, the main haulage truck had a Alison automatic transmission fitted about 1967. Was quite a wait to get the auto, as the American army had first call on the boxes for the APC'S used in Vietnam. The retarder on the Alison made a huge difference to the life of the brakes on both truck and trailer.

The transporter trailer had two rows of eight wheels. With the massive 212hp of the 6-71 this truck pulled some big loads. The first pic I posted showed a WC2264 used as a 'pusher'.
In this picture, the crane is a NCK605. Incidentaly, dad always said that if the second cab over had've been the first white they bought, it would have been the last one. Gave a lot of trouble. The Whites had a chassis made of a tempered steel. Single skinned, it was almost impossible to drill, but would return to alignment if twisted slightly. I stand to be corrected on this, Memory is going back a fair way now.

Last edit: 9 years 6 months ago by Arthur U.

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
9 years 6 months ago #106644 by Swishy
R Far
Gudday M8

Gr8 Pix
Keep m Cummin

even tho we had half a doz White 3000 n a few WC n Mustangs we aint got many pix of m

the best thing our mechanic did twaz to burn one (1963)

Probly B ok wiff a screemer in m
az the petrol donk would't pull the skin off a rice puddn
but the 5x3 cog box got U there ................ eventually
LOL
cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
9 years 6 months ago #106645 by Mairjimmy
Arthur U, How many axles would you need under a load like that now
Colin

Time to get up andd get going.......todays bad decisions aren't going to make themselves!!!

More
9 years 6 months ago #106646 by VicHung
Arthur

Thanks for posting those Uden Bros photos, they bring back some memories. I was driving a chemical tanker in those days carting chemicals in and out of the Kinleith mill so was driving past the depot quite a few times each week. I can remember thinking what strange looking trucks those Whites were, both the cabovers and bonnetted models but they certainly sounded great with their GM engines.

Vic

More
9 years 6 months ago - 9 years 6 months ago #106647 by Arthur U
A couple more of the cab overs and one of the first white carrying the new (1955) NCK 304.

Delivery colour was dark green, this was its maiden trip.

The fat log was Rimu.

Last edit: 9 years 6 months ago by Arthur U.

More
9 years 6 months ago #106648 by Arthur U

Arthur U, How many axles would you need under a load like that now
Colin

Got me there Colin. One transporter trailer had two rows of eight wheels, the other had three sets of duals on each side (12 wheels). The front axle was air assisted, lower that axle and lift the other two off the ground, was brilliant for turning the trailer. Got outlawed later on.

The weight per axle limits meant the 12 wheeler was allowed to carry a greater load than the 16 wheels of the bigger trailer. The authorities decided 1 was a twin axle, the other was a 3 axle trailer.

As for the NCK 605, it would have been a decent weight.

More
2 years 10 months ago #223112 by xspanrman
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Lang, Mrsmackpaul, PaulFH, V8Ian, oliver1950

More
2 years 10 months ago #223120 by Dave_64
I seem to recall Pioneer havimg a few of those White Compacts, or maybe subbies? In NSW run out of the Wallgrove plant. Billy
P would probably know?

Time to create page: 0.570 seconds