Skip to main content

Climbing the New England Nov 8-9, 2014

More
9 years 6 months ago - 9 years 6 months ago #123439 by Lang
The old F86 cruised nicely from Brisbane to Armidale and we were met by Steve in his F86(Volvo are obviously truck of the show).

Steve with a couple of mates has done a great job and he is still out in the dark putting up signs. A few starting to roll in.

If you are still undecided take the leap. Looks like a top weekend coming up with the trucks, machinery, tractors and heavy horses plus at least two truck runs.

Lang
Last edit: 9 years 6 months ago by Lang.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 years 6 months ago #123440 by bigcam
Wish I could join you Lang it sounds like at top weekend.
Any chance of donning the wordsmith's cap and stringing a few words together for the newsletter.
Might inspire a few more for the next one too.

More
9 years 6 months ago #123441 by mammoth
Ian Browning had a good run up in his Thorny and had unloaded when he felt unwell and called an ambulance. He has had a stroke but the rapid intervention was obviously significant with him coming through the experience unscathed. He will be under observation in Armidale Hospital (doctors orders) for 24 hrs. Our thoughts are with him and the club will be doing whatever it can to assist Ian and his wife & son to support them and sort out the logistics of getting his truck and tractor home.

More
9 years 6 months ago #123442 by mammoth
Actually Lang, Internationals will by far out-number anything else by satdy. Macks coming a good second.

More
9 years 6 months ago #123443 by Lang
Steve
When does quantity outrank quality?

The trucks continue to roll in and the shed and surrounding area will be full by tomorrow.

Excellent run to Rosies Diner at Black Mountain. I think there were 20-30 trucks in the pack. The Hunter mob went direct after their long drive.

A couple of beaut restorations having their first outing appeared - complete with smoke from overspray on the exhaust being heated to running temperature for the first time!

Looks like the weekend will be even better than expected.

Lang

More
9 years 6 months ago #123444 by Lang
Mid day Saturday and I am sure the numbers far exceed Steve's expectations - and still they are rolling in.

A few shots of the shed with about 50 trucks and the surrounds are full with the longer ones and others recently arrived.
[IMG

More
9 years 6 months ago - 9 years 6 months ago #123445 by Lang
Last edit: 9 years 6 months ago by bigcam.

More
9 years 6 months ago #123446 by asw120
Beaut pictures, Lang. Thanks. Do you have a closer one of that metallic green loadstar?

Cheers, Jarrod.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II

More
9 years 6 months ago - 9 years 6 months ago #123447 by mammoth
1970 Transtar 400. More pics in a few days time. In the meantime here is the news...... www.nbnnews.com.au/index.php/2014/11/08/...midale-back-in-time/
Last edit: 9 years 6 months ago by mammoth.

More
9 years 6 months ago - 9 years 6 months ago #123448 by Lang
Sorry Jarrod,

I only got a few group shots. There were a couple of semi=professional photographers who did almost every truck.

Steve should have access to those next week.

I just got home after a pain in the a.. trip back from Armidale/ Could not get the Volvo started this morning with flat batteries, bad connections etc. The Abood Thornycroft came to the rescue with a direct 24 volt jump start.

I thought that is OK as I will just leave it running for the 7 hour trip home. Slowed down right at the top of Cunninghams Gap and clutch pedal went to the floor. Fluid pouring out of the overhauled actuating cylinder.

Sitting there with an engine running knowing I can't start it again. Yank into low first with fingers crossed and she did not stall and crawled straight into the descent. Bloody slow trip down the hill as I got low 2nd in a gearbox not like a RR so stayed there.

At the bottom got into top gear and soon discovered the Volvo synchro box works just fine without a clutch - even got back 4 cogs going up the Gateway Bridge hump
without a crunch.

Why do we drive these crappy old trucks?

ps Thank you Steve for a great weekend.

Lang
Last edit: 9 years 6 months ago by Lang.

Time to create page: 0.508 seconds