Skip to main content

2014 HCVC DISPLAY DAY

More
9 years 6 months ago - 9 years 6 months ago #140484 by Roderick Smith
Today's selection shows many of the buses, but I missed some. A different selection (including some trucks) is at:
www.busaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=79299 and
www.busaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=79315
I have the old Reo in my prewar selection, and McKenzies with the Healesville event.

Roderick B Smith
Rail News Victoria Editor

1940s Dodge & Ford from Croydon/Invicta, rally regulars:

Preserved 1951 Bedford OB, trailered from Bendigo via Yea:

Preserved Flxible Clipper, in 1950s passenger configuration (insufficient seats found for full seating). On Saturday it had been at the opening of the new bus museum in Moonee Ponds; on Sunday many BCSV members rode in it from Lilydale to Yarra Glen.

MC7, GM/Denning & Silver Eagle, from the Driver historic fleet:

Last edit: 9 years 6 months ago by Roderick Smith.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 years 6 months ago #140485 by Chocs
Replied by Chocs on topic Re: 2014 HCVC DISPLAY DAY
2014 HCVC Yarra Glen Show..

Personally, I think all the requests of past years were met, really shouldn

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
9 years 6 months ago #140486 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Re: 2014 HCVC DISPLAY DAY
Twaz th@ Lorry Bilder eye scene pull n in 2 Yarra Glen today

nar

coodna been

LOL
cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

9 years 6 months ago #140487 by
Replied by on topic Re: 2014 HCVC DISPLAY DAY

Yup
bring m in the nex gate where it B unmade n gravel

the gate off the main entrance twaz bizzy @ the cross rd in to turnstiles n sum needed to make a 3 point turn to go into where the sem eyes were

Slos good idea but not nuff room to reverse semi eyes in to n upto concrete path sum would need to back in on there blind side

may B shuv all the trucks out in to grass area where buses n military were n keep the treed n grassed area
for small vehicles etc

Jist me 2 c wurth tax free

LOL
cya

Swishy

There was a lot of comments made about people missing the gear that was outside in the area behind the fence. If that area is used it will need much better signage for the public directing them.

Dave not good to hear about damage done. Just glad it was not on yesterday as I think with the 40mm of rain we got on Saturday night the venue would have been a little soft.

Trevor

More
9 years 6 months ago #140488 by geoffb
Replied by geoffb on topic Re: 2014 HCVC DISPLAY DAY
Just my 2 bob's worth but have the shade area to park under and sit around is what made the venue so to take that away would detract
Roland if you are back next year I will bring those Vb back

9 years 6 months ago #140489 by
Replied by on topic Re: 2014 HCVC DISPLAY DAY

Just my 2 bob's worth but have the shade area to park under and sit around is what made the venue so to take that away would detract
Roland if you are back next year I will bring those Vb back

G'day geoffb

Is that a threat or a promise ?

The thought of those warm VBs......
No.... Its not doing it for me. :-)

Gotta start saving.....
Need to know date asap. please.

Cheers
RS :)

More
9 years 6 months ago #140490 by Cunning Stunt
Well written Rick, as an observer (and listener) it sounds as though it was a cracker of a show. I have already lined a couple of guys up and said that it is a must for next year and even though the ol comer has been retired to 'local' duties, it will be pointed in a southern direction next November on a more leisurely 2 day run for each direction. (which will make up for disappointment in having to miss steering a certain KW to Alice :'( :'( :'()

Only those who have been involved with organising an event would realise just how hard it is to predict the unpredictable but as a casual internet observer, it looked great. Well done guys. And well done to all who attended and supported it :)

Some play hard to get

More
9 years 6 months ago #140491 by Roderick Smith
My final selection from the great day: the cars, some of which were commercial. I hope that the committee was rewarded with excellent patronage, making all of the hard work worthwhile. I was there as a spectator, not an exhibitor, but gained some of the club social aspects too. It was good to see not just the huge range of sizes and types and ages, but also the range of conditions: from 'as recovered' to 'as restored'. There were people in club maroon shirts all over the place, undertaking a range of duties. What else could I suggest which hasn't been covered already? One feature at model-railway shows is a modeller showing techniques by building something as the show progresses. Is there an equivalent in the vehicle hobby? I think immediately of the group's famous signwriter/decorator. Or have an engine on a tray, pulling it apart on one hour, and putting it together on the next: show off side valves and cylinder heads and cleaning a carburettor. Perhaps a video booth, showing something historical: trucks in action on a famous road, or building the Snowy scheme? I wouldn't have had the time, but visitors with weary feet might welcome the chance to have a coffee while being seated.
As with all of the others who have contributed images of the day, for those who couldn't attend, we should have given you the next-best experience. For those who could have exhibited/attended, but didn't, I hope that this tips the scales: you are planning for 2015 already. There are lots of shows, but this one is the biggest, with the biggest potential audience, and hence the one to promote the hobby in the widest way.

Just before pressing 'send': surely somebody has a preserved horse float? Even a modern one?

Roderick B Smith

IIRC, my first of the day: gleaming Holden EKs. That was sentimental for me; my father bought one in 1962; I bought it c1975, and kept it until its retirement in 1983. The EK contingent built up to six as the morning progressed.

A beautiful Morris J. It did get a companion as the day progressed. In an earlier year, I got a row of six. A manageable cult classic, without needing anything more than a suburban-house garage.

A ~1956 Chrysler Royal stretched limousine. Still in active use today, and probably appreciated even more now than when built.

The running mate Cadillac, but I can't guess the model. A couple of tractors too (Fergie grey?):

One of the undercover displays. I don't know if this was historic equipment, or current sales. Too small to be pedal: these are kick along, like a Flintstones car.

A friend from a related technical hobby:

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
9 years 6 months ago #140492 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Re: 2014 HCVC DISPLAY DAY
Smitty
Gudday M8

Gr8 idea
if the powers to B agree
R U volunteering

;D

cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
9 years 6 months ago #140493 by Roderick Smith
Alas, not my skills (and not in my other transport hobbies either).
Even with a can of WD40, I doubt that I could pull a side-valve engine apart. Others here could not only do that blindefolded, they could put it back together again.
The crowd could watch me cleaning up old photos digitally.

Roderick B Smith

Time to create page: 0.524 seconds