Skip to main content

Buses converted to campervans

More
9 years 1 month ago #112857 by Roderick Smith
There was a suggestion in a different forum that it may have been an Ansett airport bus.

Roderick B Smith
Rail News Victoria Editor

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 years 1 month ago #112858 by Beaver
I thought the airport buses had an enclosed luggage compartment at the rear, but this one seems to have windows.

Beaver@ Museum of Fire

More
9 years 1 month ago - 9 years 1 month ago #112859 by Roderick Smith
Two of a 1960s Bedford Comair, posted by 'Bugly' to the historic truck section.

Roderick B Smith

Last edit: 9 years 1 month ago by Roderick Smith.

More
9 years 2 weeks ago - 9 years 2 weeks ago #112860 by Beaver
Is it a truck or a bus?

from www.busaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=80342

http://www.busaustralia.com/forum/download/file.php?id=83575&t=1

Beaver@ Museum of Fire
Last edit: 9 years 2 weeks ago by Beaver.

More
9 years 1 week ago #112861 by Roderick Smith
Copied across from Mike G, reply 100 in Historic Buses. There are more details, and discussion, there.

USA MCI bus, converted to right-hand drive, and exported to Australia.

Roderick B Smith
Retired Editor

More
9 years 1 week ago #112862 by Roderick Smith
150329Su Essendon Fields (Essendon Airport, Melbourne, Vic.). Flxible Clipper FLX129 in the Pioneer Express 60th anniversary rally. (Roderick Smith)
AFAIK all participating Clippers except for the Driver Brothers one had had some level of mobile-home makeover. This one has had fewer external changes than most, and has retained an authentic livery.

Roderick B Smith

More
9 years 1 week ago #112863 by theroadbossman
What a fantastic thread, and I cannot believe that I have been missing out on it for the last two years.
I bought "Sally" which is our 1988 Austral Tourmaster in March 2014 and have spent the last year converting to a motorhome, which was subsequently registered in January 2015.
I had never driven a bus or a coach before, just did a lot of watching and looking before jumping in with both boots and buying, then converting. Not a difficult task, but challenging.
Everyone I speak with about our coach is mystified at how roomy it is inside, and the layout is not your conventional layout either.
If I ever work out how to post pics on here I will, but I have tried on many occasions without success.
Cheers
Bretto

Austral Tourmaster with 6V92T mechanical

More
9 years 1 week ago - 9 years 1 week ago #112864 by Bobsboy

What a fantastic thread, and I cannot believe that I have been missing out on it for the last two years. . .

:o :o :o

whisper whisper
. . .a little tip, if ya see a Topic posted by Roderick Smith. . . clickety click, follow it

(an unashamed Fan.)

-b

Mucking about on the edge
Last edit: 9 years 1 week ago by Bobsboy.

More
9 years 6 days ago #112865 by Roderick Smith
Flattery gets you everywhere: have the next in the series, dual posted with Historic Buses.

Essendon Fields (Essendon Airport): Flxible Clippers in blue, red & maroon (LTD57). Sun.29.3.15. (Roderick Smith).
AFAIK all three are modified as mobile homes.

Roderick B Smith

More
9 years 4 days ago #112866 by theroadbossman
"Sally" 1988 Austral Tourmaster 50 seat touring coach:

[IMG

[IMG

[IMG

[IMG

[IMG

[IMG

[IMG

[IMG

[IMG

Here is my first go at piccys, hopefully they come out OK

From the day she came home (top) until most recently (bottom) - in hindsight it was a big job to knock over in 10 months.

"Sally" as she was named according the original Austral delivery books from 1988, is an Austral Tourmaster with "correct" engine (Detroit 6V92T mechanical of course), 6 speed Spicer (at the moment but soon R/R 9 speed) mated to a 2.85:1 final drive which at 1550rpm = 100km/h and a top speed on the highway from Nyngan to Cobar of... do you really think I'm gunna write that ;D

The factory air filter system has been replaced with a more efficient later PowerCore system, and the mufflers replaced with low restriction units again from Donaldson. Some oil leaks fixed, actually a lot of oil leaks fixed, some service and grease, and she is on the road.

It drives like a big luxury car, and we love it.
You'll see us everywhere now "Sally" is on the road.

Please let me know if i have stuffed the piccy thing :o

cheers
Bretto

Austral Tourmaster with 6V92T mechanical

Time to create page: 0.628 seconds