Skip to main content

Brake foot valve plumbing - please explain?

13 years 5 months ago #37065 by
Bretto, you can convert a lot of files, including Word, to a PDF file, online, for free, at this following site. You just upload your Word document, and they send you an email a few minutes later with your file converted to PDF format.

You can upload a PDF format file to ImageShack for free, the same as uploading any picture.

www.pdfonline.com/convert-pdf/

imageshack.us

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
13 years 5 months ago #37066 by Chocs
the quickest and correct way around it swishy would be to fit the correct brake valve an E3. Designed around the single circuit system that seems to be fitted to that year model lorry..
As i said in an earlier post..i've had this very discussion before.. fit the correct and the problem will disappear.
A reputable brake man will will tell ya the same Bretto...
The old transtar is the same...the E6 will work but that not what it was designed for...
regards
chocs 8-)

• Swishy
  • Away
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
13 years 5 months ago #37067 by Swishy

Chocs U B ded right
But Bretto haz had ongo n problems with his stoppers n me thort th@ may B sume one had plumbd up the valve the rong way from way back
I recently put a new foot valve in KW
the original twaz single circuit n I twaz told they been superseeded n had to have the dual circuit jiggr
so B it
Cya
[ch9787]

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
13 years 5 months ago #37068 by theroadbossman
There is no denying it, BigCam told me ages ago that my truck had a single system on it and that was without even seeing it!

As my truck is a september 1979 build, yeah I spose it makes sense that the original system would have been a single system.

But now the problem will be converting it back to a single system - same drama as I have now - what f@#king pipe goes to what orifice?

Getting very close to a trip to Air Brake Services in Beatty Rd for them to do a full analysis I am thinking..

Ya know the funny part, it's had three machinery inspections since I have had it, and everyone of them has been across the rollers, and every time it has been perfect - work that one out, like a say maybe it is just a loose nut behind the wheel... :D
Bretto ;)

Austral Tourmaster with 6V92T mechanical

More
13 years 5 months ago #37069 by Chocs
e3 is still available swishy..
can get the aftermarket type from the green and black place, others in a red box, but you can still get the 'flash' ones on order..
regards
Chocs 8-)

More
13 years 5 months ago #37070 by Chocs
ill grab a diagram for ya ol mate..
i will draw the way i reckon it is now,,,
and the way it should be..
wont be largely different though
pm me ya email if ya like
chocs 8-)

More
13 years 5 months ago #37071 by theroadbossman
Chocs, ol Bob down at Gibbs truck parts originally gave me a E-3 valve as in his experience it would be the one. When we tilted the bonnet to check it, he gasped and " huh, late model - well I'll be" and went inside and grabbed an E-6.
Ppplllleeeaaassseee send yer email to brendys@virginbroadband.com.au and then i can send ya what I have drawn, compare notes, and just maybe confirm that I have a problem or the problem is I. ;D
Bretto ;)

Austral Tourmaster with 6V92T mechanical

More
13 years 5 months ago #37072 by jimbo51
Bretto,

I wouldn't rush in just yet but if you feel the need to convert it back it will be straight forward swapping the lines with chocs help on the drawings. And you'll be getting rid of the short line from top to bottom supply.

However, check the fitting sizes - the E3 has 1/2 inch on the supply but the E6 has 3/8. If they used a reducer when the E6 was retro-fitted, easy enough but otherwise a bit more fiddling.

More
13 years 5 months ago - 13 years 5 months ago #37073 by bigcam
Bretto, the E3 has all the ports marked it's pretty easy working out what goes where. Someone probobly put the wrong valve on your truck ages ago to get them selves out of trouble, then never fitted the proper one, then your mate at Gibbs has a quick look at the valve, and not the plumbing, and gives you what he sees.
When Queensland Transport puts your truck on the rollers, they are only checking the brake efficency, not the response times. If they did check the response times on an old Road Boss, you and me would be probobly having to revamp the whole air system. I'm sure White must have had a discount on 3/8 airline, they used it just about everywhere.
Last edit: 13 years 5 months ago by bigcam.

More
13 years 5 months ago #37074 by ianoz
Gee Bigcam , your bigsmoke machinery inspectors must be a lot more forgiving than our country ones . I have had to cut an inch off a brake booster rod because it did not match the others , Change a brake booster because it was a little bit slower releaseing after the park brake was released . I don't know how long brake boosters are good for ,as i still have one original one on my 25 year old hino . Ian .

Time to create page: 0.448 seconds