Skip to main content

New trucks with EGR

More
11 years 11 months ago #81599 by atkipete
Replied by atkipete on topic Re: New trucks with EGR
OK so what if have to drive onto grass ? Should you then switch it to manual and back to auto once you are back on the bitumen ?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
11 years 11 months ago - 11 years 11 months ago #81600 by aches-n-bolts

I drive an Isuzu with the re-gen system and it works pretty simply. The system has two modes - auto and manual. In auto (the default setting) the truck builds up particulate matter in the diffuser/cat converter shown on a small digital gauge on the dash. When this reaches full (after about 250 k's of hills driving) The truck goes into auto re-gen. The truck is still drive-able and you can continue on your merry way. There is a slight loss of power kind of like when you have a Horton fan on in manual.

Now, you can also do a manual burn of the particulate filter but this can only be done stationary. The manual re-gen can only be initiated when the gauge is over 75% full and the truck doesn't have the PTO in and the idle is set down to normal. Once the button is pressed, the revs come up to about 1200 odd rpm, it slightly shuts the exhaust brake and as far as I know it squirts a bit of diesel in the exhaust to get the temps up and burn out the crap. The exhaust gets bloody hot and you have to be pretty careful where you park it.

The truck has to be moving to go into an auto burn and stationary to do a manual, but once an auto burn has started, if you stop and park it up it will continue to do it's thing. If you head off again it will keep doing the auto re-gen but if you are doing a stationary/manual burn you can't drive off, you have to cancel the manual burn and resume it when you stop again. :o

Hope this helps guys :D

P.s, not my video but this will show you how hot they get

Holy snapping duck dung! :o
That is some serious heat they produce!
Come to think of it they should call it the Commer Knocker System. ;D
Last edit: 11 years 11 months ago by aches-n-bolts.

More
11 years 11 months ago - 11 years 11 months ago #81601 by Chugga
Replied by Chugga on topic Re: New trucks with EGR

OK so what if have to drive onto grass ? Should you then switch it to manual and back to auto once you are back on the bitumen ?

That's the problem. It's always in auto, you have to select it to do a manual burn and there is no in-between. You can only cancel an auto burn if you become stationary (and by pressing the button on the dash), but with the gauge on the dash you have a pretty good idea of where it's at. I drive in paddocks a bit so I have just become used to thinking ahead. Not much good though if your day is unplanned.

With an exhaust that runs down the side of the truck, I stay out of paddocks all together if they look too dry (summer etc). I'm not gunna be responsible for burning down the Adelaide hills.

So to answer your question Atkipete, if the gauge is full and you need to go into a paddock, you're pretty much stuffed, you have 15 to 20 minutes to wait for it to do a burn, plus cool down time. >:(

The old man's new cst112 Fright-liner has a 450hp dd13 Detroit in it with the same system but I haven't had much to do with it. Must ask him for a steer so I can do some research. ;D

Just found this for the dd13
Last edit: 11 years 11 months ago by Chugga.

More
11 years 11 months ago #81602 by atkipete
If I was buying a new truck, particularly one that had to go off the bitumen, I would get an Adblue one. They say (now I stand to be corrected here) that the extra cost of the AdBlue is made up by better fuel milage.

More
11 years 11 months ago - 11 years 11 months ago #81603 by JBran
Replied by JBran on topic Re: New trucks with EGR

I dont fully understand this re-gen business ( like anything new :o). Is the truck totally undriveable during this period? How long does it last for? Can you initiate a re-gen on the highway where a loss of power can be tolerated or is there no power at all.
Are we harking back to the old days where petrol powered firetrucks conked out due to vapour lock in the middle of a fire.

Generally it can be done while driving, and it revs a bit higher. It can also be done while it is idling, and you can hear it idles a bit higher. But generally we do it manually on our saturday morning tests if it has to so it doesn't do it at a fire ;) :) But our truck doesn't have one of those gauge thingys mentioned above, a light just comes on when its ready. And the actual part of the exhaust where the burn is happening is around 400 degrees. The firetrucks come with a locker in the way of that thing, and that is where they put the fuel jerry cans (standard on delivery) and generator (put in by the crews) in that locker. Just askin for trouble there
Last edit: 11 years 11 months ago by JBran.

More
11 years 11 months ago #81604 by intermania
Replied by intermania on topic Re: New trucks with EGR
We had a new FRR 600 Isuzu. The body builder mounted the spare tyre near the exhaust outlet. About 20km into it's drive home my brand new truck was throwing flames out the side, the tyre was on fire & the exhaust fanning the flames. The flames only stopped when the truck was turned off.Never even registered that truck,to complicated for me so i sold it.

More
11 years 11 months ago #81605 by JBran
Replied by JBran on topic Re: New trucks with EGR

We had a new FRR 600 Isuzu. The body builder mounted the spare tyre near the exhaust outlet. About 20km into it's drive home my brand new truck was throwing flames out the side, the tyre was on fire & the exhaust fanning the flames. The flames only stopped when the truck was turned off.Never even registered that truck,to complicated for me so i sold it.

Thats really not good! They massively underestimated the heat of it! :o

More
11 years 11 months ago #81606 by atkipete
It would take a lot of heat to set a tyre alight. Lucky it did not explode.

More
11 years 11 months ago #81607 by Phred1
Replied by Phred1 on topic Re: New trucks with EGR
The K200 series cabover have this mounted vertically like a normal stack but the exhaust unit has limited lifespan and a $4000 change-over price. Saw a brand new Western Star getting exhaust modified with horizontal system plumbed into vertical stacks it had massive amounts of lagging underneath to control the heat ... as for EGR company I just finished working for 7new trucks with Cummins EGR in last 4 years most km's before rebuild is 650000 and thats not counting turbo's. Cummins next generation of motors are going to have combination of add blue and EGR Peter

More
11 years 11 months ago #81608 by monty
Replied by monty on topic Re: New trucks with EGR
Found this.

;)

Time to create page: 0.517 seconds