Skip to main content

New trucks with EGR

More
11 years 11 months ago #81579 by EzyLivin
Replied by EzyLivin on topic Re: New trucks with EGR
What exactly happens during the regen process?

I take it the diesel particulate filter is what you are talking about?

Is the truck unoperable or down on power during this?

I only have experience with the simple EGR systems on smaller diesel motors. No DPF, just directly back into intake manifold via egr cooler.

I actually do now suspect i am having troubles with my EGR on my Mazda BT50. I am getting intake temps of over 100degrees celsius, funny thing is it will only happen in 5th gear at speeds over 90km. >:(

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
11 years 11 months ago #81580 by Rusty Engines
Hi Ezylivin
I have a BT50 also, how are you recording the temp and where in the system
Ian

More
11 years 11 months ago #81581 by jeffo
Replied by jeffo on topic Re: New trucks with EGR
EGR and diesel particulate filtration are very different animals.
I fit a blanking plate on anything with EGR. Once you've seen the cooked on oily gunk inside a plenum you're no longer a EGR devotee.
Think DPF is controlled by the ecu. Depending on engine heavy load cycle and time, the ecu will decide to dump fuel resulting in very high exhaust temps which incinerate the particles previously caught in the filter medium.
Under "normal" driving conditions, you may not see a fuel dump but pottering around town is where they go off.
Hired a little Isuzu pan for a house shift and it had dire warnings how the truck might decide at anytime, all by itself, it was cooking time and you'd then be stuck for 20 mins while it did its stuff.
I find it odd how these modern diesels offer excellent mpg with low emissions and then go nuts by pouring in a heap of fuel to cook up those same pollutants.

More
11 years 11 months ago #81582 by EzyLivin
Replied by EzyLivin on topic Re: New trucks with EGR

Hi Ezylivin
I have a BT50 also, how are you recording the temp and where in the system
Ian

Hi Ian,

I have a Scangauge11 fitted mate.

Gives you about 20 different readings or something, with option of adding more.

Plugs into OBD port below dash.

Can get intake temp, fuel usage, kms, hp, rpm, coolant temp, volts etc.

More
11 years 11 months ago #81583 by John Whale
Replied by John Whale on topic Re: New trucks with EGR
evening all my mate has a isuzu d-max he gutted the cat converter and the mufler and blocked of egr would go like the clappers for a while then fault codes would come up on dash then it would derate(1200revs max)after much trial and error found we had to drill a small hole in block off plate to satisfy egr sensor whale

More
11 years 11 months ago #81584 by JBran
Replied by JBran on topic Re: New trucks with EGR
The crew and I have all been saying that its lucky we carry around 3000L of water with us! But usually when the truck wants to do a regen we just go and fill up with water

More
11 years 11 months ago #81585 by atkipete
Replied by atkipete on topic Re: New trucks with EGR
The alternative to the EGR system is Adblue and some manufacturers such as UD are using it on their small trucks. No burn offs but there is an Adblue tank to keep topped up.

More
11 years 11 months ago #81586 by Coupeute
Replied by Coupeute on topic Re: New trucks with EGR
Sounds like they need to go for a real off road truck........MAN. A couple of pre-adblue Benz spreader trucks have had fires, One near Parkes was destroyed. MAN has adblue as an option but are still using the re-circulate system & meeting Euro 5 compliance. Some blokes have said recirculate systems have engines running too hot. I have had no problems so far. The only thing I have to watch is grass seeds, thistle heads & dust between the radiator & intercooler.

AL110 inter ute &&FC Holden Wagon&&HJ Holden 1 Tonner&&

More
11 years 11 months ago #81587 by Snaws2
Replied by Snaws2 on topic Re: New trucks with EGR

The crew and I have all been saying that its lucky we carry around 3000L of water with us! But usually when the truck wants to do a regen we just go and fill up with water

I am in the NSWRFS we have the same model and all we do is go through the program on our Saturday afternoon checks & if we are getting close to a burn we will run a manual burn instead of waiting.
Much better than at 2am after a car fire

Snaws

1952 Austin Loadstar&&&&Outside of a dog

More
11 years 11 months ago #81588 by atkipete
Replied by atkipete on topic Re: New trucks with EGR
I dont fully understand this re-gen business ( like anything new :o). Is the truck totally undriveable during this period? How long does it last for? Can you initiate a re-gen on the highway where a loss of power can be tolerated or is there no power at all.
Are we harking back to the old days where petrol powered firetrucks conked out due to vapour lock in the middle of a fire.

Time to create page: 0.537 seconds