Skip to main content

New trucks with EGR

More
11 years 11 months ago #81609 by farmer brown

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
11 years 10 months ago #81610 by RocksnRoses
Replied by RocksnRoses on topic Re: New trucks with EGR
A mate of mine has just bought a new Western Star with EGR. We were talking about the heat build up and I said to him, what happens when you have to go out into a wheat stubble and pick up a load of grain on a 40 degree day. His reply was "Well actually, I'm a bit worried about it and I don't suppose the farmers are going to bring the grain to the road".

This then got me to thinking, with the chain of command system that is being thrust upon us, if one of these trucks starts a fire on a bad day, and it becomes as catastrophic as some of the Victorian fires, can the truck manufacturer be held liable, the same as the power companies are being held liable.

I know it's a long shot, a lot of fires were started when cars came out with catalytic convertors and no car companies were held liable, that I know of, but things have changed a lot since then as well.

RnR.

11 years 10 months ago #81611 by
Replied by on topic Re: New trucks with EGR
RnR

All i have to say is i wouldnt want to be the one that started it, but can see how easy it is going to be.

Trevor

More
11 years 10 months ago #81612 by atkipete
Replied by atkipete on topic Re: New trucks with EGR
Now I would put money on the fact that it would be the driver in the dock. Interesting comments by Phred about 650,000 kms best case out of one of these engines.

More
11 years 8 months ago #81613 by Bonester
Replied by Bonester on topic Re: New trucks with EGR
My Mercedes Vito 120 has the DPF on it and its pretty seamless in operation. Just occasionally you notice the idle speed has gone up 100 revs when the computer decides its time to clean and if you happen to be pulling into an enclosed space there is a rather hot smell around the vehicle.

The EGR on the early ones seemed to be quite unreliable with owners reporting multiple trips to the workshop in limp-home mode to have the EGR valve cleaned or replaced but fortunately that seems to be sorted now.

Some of the Merc cars run the urea system and its rather expensive to top up I understand.

More
11 years 2 months ago - 11 years 2 months ago #81614 by MBTRAC

The EGR can be an absolute pain, our new firetruck (in SACFS, an Isuzu FTS 800 crew 4x4) has it, and a diesel particulate diffuser, and when it wants to regen, you gotta wait for it. More annoying when on the fireground, you can only drive over burnt ground, and slowly -_-
It would seem that it would be pretty hard to remove it or stop it in any way

Seems these new Isuzu FTS800 4x4's Fire Trucks are blowing the transfer box's @ c.5000kms.
Speculation is the regen/exhaust system is too close to the transfer box & putting out enough heat to fry the oil during our (static) fireground operations - current proposed solution is to maybe change the transfer oil every 5000kms, or less - yet another great piece of unreliable overengineered junk volunteer firefignters have to contend with.
Last edit: 11 years 2 months ago by MBTRAC.

More
11 years 2 months ago #81615 by waynestr
Replied by waynestr on topic Re: New trucks with EGR
EGR DPF ADBLUE, can this be summed up as CRAP?

More
11 years 2 months ago #81616 by atkipete
Replied by atkipete on topic Re: New trucks with EGR
A test of the oil would confirm that. I cant see how these EGR vehicles are anyway suitable as a firetruck.

More
11 years 2 months ago #81617 by HEOFTHEHUM
Replied by HEOFTHEHUM on topic Re: New trucks with EGR
If your out in the boonies and run out of adblue, it derates itself, if the adblue nozzle blocks it derated itself, and throws a check engine light.
Ive heard stories about EGR motors some good some sad. If there good there good,if there bad there bad, seems to be more bad.
The only real way to by-pass the adblue is to go into the computer and change the sttings or instal an on off switch.

More
10 years 4 days ago #81618 by GearJamma
Replied by GearJamma on topic Re: New trucks with EGR
My advise from someone who has had alotta trouble with these pieces of sh1t, don,t muck withem.
After 3 weeks of pullin what hair i have left out the truck was at of all places 'Cummins' (that bad word Swishy)
They change the doser injector after about 40 goes at cleaning it, then they said the muffler was blocked (after only doing 180,000 klms), the computer would not turn off the burn cycle as kept running for over 2 hours at a time.
When i finally picked it up, i drove out of the yard and wouldn't you know it the light came back on again wanting another burn. Upon return to cummins they went the cycle all over again and said we don't know why, so now you drive down the road with the light on then off then on then off. Damn Cummins EGR engines.
>:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

Time to create page: 0.479 seconds