Skip to main content

ready for wet sand blasting

More
4 years 10 months ago #200858 by cobbadog
Well today was to be the day for the David Brown 30C Cropmaster to get wet sand blasted. But it started to drizzle and that put it all on hold. This guy puts an acid in the water to slow down the surface rust and I need a dry day to put the primer on.
Next day is in 2 weeks, apparently HRH Lizzy is not having a birthday long weekend next week.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 years 10 months ago #200873 by cobbadog
This is the pile of parts that make up a Cropmaster and a pic of an hours work cleaning up the front grille badge. It had both a little bit of red paint (normal) on it but also had blue (not normal). I think but cannot confirm that this tractor spent some time in either the Navy or Air Force hence the correct blue on parts of the tractor. It is now back to the original chrome and I am fairly pleased with the result.
More rain today so glad it didn't get blasted yesterday.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mrsmackpaul, Southbound, SWR

More
4 years 10 months ago #200937 by cobbadog
Still playing around with the fiddly bits while waiting for the sand blasting to happen hopefully next weekend. I ended up buying new bonnet clips and cleaned up the original ones I had and sold them to contribute to these new ones. The old ones were not a full set and there was one odd one out so new ones made there way here. When they arrived I was not happy with the paint on them so they too got a fresh coat of paint.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mairjimmy, SWR

More
4 years 10 months ago #200944 by cobbadog
How a simple 'clean it up' job becomes somewhat more involved.
Today was all about cleaning up the radiator with the shroud still attached. All was going well until I thought I will remove the shroud and do a better job of the cleaning. I removed the screw on radiator cap to lift the shroud up and passed it and noticed a filthy mess inside. I always have run anti freeze in the radiator which has stopped me from viewing the cores. So in a way this is good as I will now take it off to be cleaned out properly even though this has never gone near running warm never mind hot.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Fill

More
4 years 10 months ago #201038 by cobbadog
Hopefully , tomorrow is the big day for the wet blasting and has been confirmed with the man. So this morning we took a run up the coast buy the 2pac paint for the top coat. Our local shop that sold Hi Chem paints is closing down and he has let his stock run low for that reason so I could not buy another 4 litre can of super etch primer or get my paint mixed up. The original colour was called Hunting Pink, readily available in the UK but so easy to get here now.
When talking to the paint shop up north I asked if he had the formula as he did make some a few years back but it was lost again. Since that phone call a couple of weeks back and to now he researched it with his paint supplier who did find the formula for an acrylic paint then they tweaked it to be a 2pac paint. The owner of the paint shop kindly offered to mix a small sample pot to show me the result, BINGO, bloody perfect so he then mixed a 4litre can of that and with the 2 litres of catalyst will make 6 litres plus some thinners so should be enough to do the job.
Now I wont be able to sleep tonight in anticipation of some progress at last. I will take some pics of the process for those who are interested.

The following user(s) said Thank You: SWR

More
4 years 10 months ago #201042 by Southbound
Interested ;)

I'd rather have tools that I don't need, than not have the tools I do need.

More
4 years 10 months ago #201057 by Morris
Replied by Morris on topic ready for wet sand blasting
Me too! ;)

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
4 years 10 months ago #201061 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic ready for wet sand blasting
Eye

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
4 years 10 months ago #201067 by Sarge
Replied by Sarge on topic ready for wet sand blasting
Cob a d, EMNTK. ... what is this wet sandblasting, sounds like an improve on breathing/making silica dust, but what is the trick, I thought fine dry sand was needed to allow it to be blasted.

Please explain :blink:

Sarge B)
ACCO Owner, Atkinson dreamer.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Southbound

More
4 years 10 months ago #201072 by cobbadog
Well it all happened today the lot blasted and the tractor skid is now in primer with all the other bits waiting until tomorrow. The anti rust stuf he puts in the water does not stop surface rust on cast iron and is why I got stuck into spraying the skid.
Wet blasting uses a bloody big compersssor connected to a large hopper that holds both water and grit. In this case he used a coarse glass grit on the skid and a finer one on the tin ware and wheels etc. It certainly keeps the dust down and cleans off the crap fairly quickly. The lot was done in around 3 hours and 8 bags of grit and around 200 litres of water.
I took pictures and will post them up tomorrow as I'm totally stuffed and need to crawl off to the kennel for a big kip.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Southbound

Time to create page: 0.544 seconds