Skip to main content

OK I Will Go First

More
13 years 2 months ago #43633 by wouldyou
Replied by wouldyou on topic Re: OK I Will Go First
Ron, This is a 1924 Holt M29 at Booleroo rally 2005, they don't have a lot of info on it and think it is fairly rare. David.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
13 years 2 months ago #43634 by wouldyou
Saw these at Kukerin '98, Caterpillar Sixty [with one piece shoes ?] and Diesel 40, always a good rally that has sadly stopped.

13 years 2 months ago #43635 by
Replied by on topic Re: OK I Will Go First
David - Yes, Kukerin was a good show, don't know why it was stopped. Was it the insurance cost?
The Sixty is Bob Lukins, it now resides in Brooke's Dardanup Heritage Park.

I have to correct an error I posted earlier about the Sixty tracks. I was under the impression that Cat altered the Sixty track chain design, to one similar to the 2-Tons, which had the links and shoes cast as one.

After lengthy examination, it appears the Sixty always had a separate track chain (from the very first Best), but either Best or Cat changed the track design, to a cast shoe with 4 bolts.
This shoe had the grouser position at the rear. There does not appear to be any surviving 2 bolt track, Best Sixty track chains. The first Best Sixty built, no longer has its original track chains.

David Parfitt has an excellent website with heaps of pictures of both Best and Cat Sixtys at shows worldwide. Most of these tractors wear the later, forged track shoes, with the grouser at the front.
There are a number of tractors with the early-style, cast, 4-bolt shoes, in these pics ..

(Click on A-Z of tractors, and then select Best or Caterpillar) - www.steel-wheels.net/index.html

More
13 years 2 months ago #43636 by wouldyou
Ron, So they are separate shoes on Bob's Sixty. wonder why the grouser at rear? when at the leading edge they lift from the ground as they follow the sprocket. When at the rear a bit of soil is lifted which would wear the cleat more.
Kukerin had creek bed races in muddy creek, also a burn out pit as well as the tractor rally, I think insurance was a concern, in later years a group from Pinjarra way took responsibility for these events, Katanning gets dozers along to their Katmach event to dig a hole a fill it in again annually.

More
13 years 2 weeks ago #43637 by wouldyou
Hello,
Here is a 1929 Case, known as cross engine, 4 cylinder overhead valves. First produced 1919 as 15-27 was given more revs in 1925 and rebadged as 18-32. 32 HP on the crankshaft belt pulley and 18 drawbar HP which could replace aboui 9 real horses. Having the motor crossways let it have all spur gearing to the drive axle.
The model L with fore and aft motor replaced it in 1929, interesting that they put the bevel gears between the clutch and gearbox. Cheers David.

More
12 years 11 months ago - 12 years 11 months ago #43638 by q4016lanz
Replied by q4016lanz on topic Re: OK I Will Go First
G'Day everyone
two of my favour bulldogs the R mod 5006 6 speed 50 hp 630 max rev 1955 built and the Q mod 4016 9 speed 40 hp 1000 rev 1958 built. the giant north american tractor manufacture, deer & company of moline USA progressively acquired a controlling interest in the German lanz organion in 1957, by 1959 lanz buldogs arivingin australia were painted with the green and yellow john deere colours the name john deere lanz apeared, I got that out of a Ian jonhston book, cheers john :)

Last edit: 12 years 11 months ago by q4016lanz.

More
12 years 11 months ago #43639 by q4016lanz
One of my fathers tractor a ronaldson tippett :) :) cheers john

More
12 years 11 months ago #43640 by q4016lanz
The old man and brad of to the tractor pull down south cheers john ;) :)

More
12 years 11 months ago #43641 by BK
Replied by BK on topic Re: OK I Will Go First
Ron, the first Holt (Cat) was steam powered.

They later went internal combustion, and were used in "road train" duties in the states.

Trust me

More
12 years 11 months ago #43642 by q4016lanz
Great pics keep them coming one of the last real wagon trains and know road trains ;D ;D john

Time to create page: 0.454 seconds