Skip to main content

IH Super AWD6

More
13 years 3 days ago #50322 by Tacho
IH Super AWD6 was created by Tacho
G'day all, I picked up this old girl recently but have not run it yet. It seems like it was driven into a shed many years ago and so I need to check it out for stuck valves etc before starting.

The loader is an early 'Robot' brand made in Salisbury SA with a manual trip bucket. The arms are made from channel section and there are no bushes for hinge points; just a pin through the plate.

The cab is home-made but well done. Check out the aerodynamically curved foot wells between the mudguards and bonnet.

The diesel motor is free but does not have much compression. Could be a few things to check on as it should not be as easy to turn over by crank handle as it was, especially as I don't think it has done a huge amount of work. Of course it will probably need glow plugs, so what is involved in fitting Toyota Landcruiser ones?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
13 years 3 days ago #50323 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Re: IH Super AWD6

Tacho
Gudday M8

Gr8 Pix
Keep m Cummin

RE: GloPlugs
may B easier to have a can of Aerostart or a flame thrower to heat the air in the inlet

Cya
[ch9787]

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
13 years 3 days ago #50324 by Sarge
Replied by Sarge on topic Re: IH Super AWD6
Nice one Tacho, but what swishy said is what most blokes do and did when they were relatively new.... lots of stories about breaking cranks with Aerostart but mine a lots of others still survive... good luck with it.

/me

Sarge B)
ACCO Owner, Atkinson dreamer.

13 years 3 days ago #50325 by
Replied by on topic Re: IH Super AWD6
Tacho - Great find, what a beast! You'll be looking for power steering for it, next! :D

This previous thread (link below) will help you out on the glow plug conversion. Wagga Tractor sell the conversion kit, you get full instructions with it, as I understand.
The Toyota glow plugs require a resistor in the wiring. The original tractor wiring contained a resistor, but many tractors have apparently been rewired, and the resistor left out of the new wiring.
Far better to install the kit IMO .. Aerostart gets expensive when they get addicted to a can a day .. ;D

www.hcvc.com.au/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1266880287

Kits on eBay (search term is, "glow plug kit International") .. shop.ebay.com.au/i.html?_nkw=glow+plug+k...ug-kit+international

Cheers - Ron.

More
13 years 3 days ago #50326 by q4016lanz
Replied by q4016lanz on topic Re: IH Super AWD6
hi tacho
Looks good a i reckon she will go, nice find, and a good moden loader on it for a old wd6. cheers john ;D ;D

More
13 years 2 days ago #50327 by ozfarm
Replied by ozfarm on topic Re: IH Super AWD6
wished i had taken a piccy of a AW7D motor i pulled down here, that had the full aerostart treatment

nearly all of the rings fell off the pistons by themselves and the main bearings where stuffed and a flywheel bolt or 2

if u want a nice easy starting IH diesel of that era, throw away the snuff, fit the toyota glowplug conversion, use 2 x 12V batteries in parallel

then they will start with a layer of ice on them @0.C after being left outside all night

13 years 2 days ago #50328 by
Replied by on topic Re: IH Super AWD6
Tacho - Somewhat off-topic, now .. but what do you store in the horizontal 200L drums, with the cut-out tops?
Pretty neat storage idea, I must say .. but that sure is some copious storage volume. Pipe fittings? Scarifier points?

A mate and I cut 20L poly drums in half, lengthwise, for storage crates. They're ideal, for when you're pulling stuff down, to throw all the components and associated parts in, such as nuts and bolts.
That way, you know where everything belongs to, from that component or area, when you go to re-assemble.

More
13 years 2 days ago #50329 by Mike Moore
Replied by Mike Moore on topic Re: IH Super AWD6
good buy Tacho. i too had a problem with glow plugs on my inter. i thought it felt dodgy pulling up at a tractor pull or rally and spraying aero start down it, so i looked into why they werent working. luckily mine was an easy fix. but just thought i would say its is worth getting the glows to work. plus it doesnt need to crank for ages either.

1971 International ACCO &&1971 International 564 &&196? Nuffield BMC mini &&

More
13 years 1 day ago #50330 by Tacho
Replied by Tacho on topic Re: IH Super AWD6
OT, the cut out drums are for storage as you guessed and on the farm where I got the tractor. As for storage when pulling down, I have learned and now put small components,bolts,studs etc in containers with a label.
Last July I started on a JD 5020 siezed motor re-build and vowed it would be 3 months max. Now 10 months on and the motor is back together but not ready to start and I am so glad I took the time to take photo's and label things.
MM, Sarge and Oz, I have aerostart and use it when necessary but do not like that death rattle when they first start, so that's why I want to fit glow plugs.
Cheers Geoff

More
13 years 1 day ago #50331 by 180wannabe
Replied by 180wannabe on topic Re: IH Super AWD6
Gday Tacho. Thanks for your welcome the other week in the 3070 area. Regarding HCVC and events, ACAR does a good job of keeping me up to date, in fact he was at my place a couple of weekends ago. Re glow plugs: Our 564 inter had the toyota conversion done before we bought it and they work really well. I have had to replace a couple at about $22 each compared to the last IH ones i bought years ago for a 554 at $112. I'd certainly recommend the kit as our 554 died a slow and painful death from using starting fluid. Brett.

Time to create page: 0.485 seconds