Skip to main content

903 cummins problems

More
9 years 6 months ago - 9 years 6 months ago #149629 by GB fitter
Replied by GB fitter on topic Re: 903 cummins problems
I would definitely recommend changing the flexible rubber fuel hose ASAP. These collapse internally causing a restriction to flow - a known Cummins problem.

I think you a referring to a TOP set which is a term referring to a procedure that involves checking and resetting the injector and valve clearance adjustment. This would be best left to someone with good Cummins experience, the right equipment and who is able to identify which of the methods is applicable to your engine. It is easy to get it wrong and cause considerable expensive damage. A simple question to confirm the whether your intended engineer knows his stuff is to ask if he will be referring to the outer base circle or the inner base circle?

You will find that the Austin A35 holds the key, for which he should be able to explain the significance of this mnemonic for the 855 engine. Just make sure, that to use cockney rhyming slang, you don't end up in a two and eight with your 903. ;D
Last edit: 9 years 6 months ago by GB fitter.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 years 6 months ago #149630 by bigcam
Replied by bigcam on topic Re: 903 cummins problems
GB, the 903's are a lot simpler to do a tune on than an 855.

More
9 years 6 months ago #149631 by CHIPMONK
Replied by CHIPMONK on topic Re: 903 cummins problems
if you need someone to look at it chris jordan at picton is pretty good :)

More
9 years 6 months ago - 9 years 6 months ago #149632 by newto
Replied by newto on topic Re: 903 cummins problems

I would definitely recommend changing the flexible rubber fuel hose ASAP. These collapse internally causing a restriction to flow - a known Cummins problem.

I think you a referring to a TOP set which is a term referring to a procedure that involves checking and resetting the injector and valve clearance adjustment. This would be best left to someone with good Cummins experience, the right equipment and who is able to identify which of the methods is applicable to your engine. It is easy to get it wrong and cause considerable expensive damage. A simple question to confirm the whether your intended engineer knows his stuff is to ask if he will be referring to the outer base circle or the inner base circle?

You will find that the Austin A35 holds the key, for which he should be able to explain the significance of this mnemonic for the 855 engine. Just make sure, that to use cockney rhyming slang, you don't end up in a two and eight with your 903. ;D

oh dear......
the net strikes again......
outer base,inner base,smacko wacko.....
903's were only ever successfully set using outer base (which means at maximum cam lobe lift for the injector)....
60 "/lb on the squirter.... .014" inlet... .027" exh.
if you're southern highlands the best man to see is like Chipmonk said.... Chris Jordan at Picton....known him for 40 years & an excellent Cummins man (ex lansvale apprentice) but if it aint blowing' any smoke then leave it alone just like BC said.....hahaha....anybody else want a mention while I'm at it????
oh....and by the way....the fuel line isn't flexible rubber....its steel braided aeroquip,enzed or pirtek!
anddddd....its a hot set....as in warmed up engine.....not a TOP set.....
thats all for now....
Newto
Last edit: 9 years 6 months ago by newto.

More
9 years 6 months ago #149633 by bigcam
Replied by bigcam on topic Re: 903 cummins problems
You're a man of diplomacy Newto, LOL.

More
9 years 6 months ago #149634 by roadboss82
Replied by roadboss82 on topic Re: 903 cummins problems
;) ;)Good to hear all your comments, for me the VT903 was a motor that got me on my feet and to where i am now so regardless of all i've been told they are a brilliant motor.......But respect the Rev counter you don't need to drive the "Ring" out of them!! :D. Glad to read your comments Newto, the couple of times i spoke to you revealed to me a very Knowledgable Cummins man, but let me tell you about tuning of my old 903. When i bought the truck in 1993 i tuned the motor when cold to the specs you've mentioned and never tuned it again 16 years and over 800,000km later. She ran smooth only blowing smoke till i replaced the Turbo with a higher boost SWITZER turbo {can't remember the model though} and averaged about 1.9 to2.1 km/litre {up to about 2.4 on some occasions}. I used to drive it like a 6 cyll big cam{as was in my previous truck} using minimal revs in the lower gears and using higher revs up to a maximum of 2200 to grab top split on the 13 spd. 2400 revs was only used in the lower gears on a big hill climb. Even in the 903's final years when she ran with a sump of water!! she still ran smooth and started near first go on some of the icy Melb winter mornings. So good luck pd2 and enjoy the ride.....903 style! ;) 8-)

More
9 years 6 months ago #149635 by newto
Replied by newto on topic Re: 903 cummins problems
awww RB...
thanks for that......hehe....
and the Schwitzer turbo would have been a model 4LHR p/n 196389 which I'm proud to say I was the first dude in Australia to import them & start fitting them to 903's.
they were originally designed for 855 400hp big cams but my old friend (who has now passed) Jim Harper from Schwitzer in Indianapolis got the technicians to test one on the turbo dyno to 903 engine specs....the rest is history...I reckon I sold hundreds of them onto 903's....with spectacular results!!

Time to create page: 0.450 seconds