Skip to main content

Fill's Bedford

More
6 years 7 months ago #186573 by Mrsmackpaul
Replied by Mrsmackpaul on topic Fill's Bedford
Fill I put the video more to show how to force the grease into the bearings than anything else
Gotta remember that bloke in the video lives in Canada I doubt there bearings get as hot as in Australia
I shove as much grease as I can into the hub as even though every one will tell me Im wrong but most farm machines have a grease nipple fitted and I never see any problems from pumping them fullish

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
6 years 7 months ago #186575 by Mairjimmy
Replied by Mairjimmy on topic Fill's Bedford
Fill l am a bit like Paul as a self taught (no that wrong , my father help a bit, he spent a fair bit of his life with horses) but l only pack the bearings and smear a bit of grease on the cups and assembly and touch of grease in the cap, but that Swishy bloke l wouldn't argue with. The void word is something l have just learnt. Keep up this great job mate you are putting me to shame

Time to get up andd get going.......todays bad decisions aren't going to make themselves!!!

More
6 years 7 months ago #186577 by ray
Replied by ray on topic Fill's Bedford
The way I was taught when doing my apprenticeship many years ago was to pack the bearings as swishy said and to pack the void between the bearings level with the bearing cups. Touch wood I've had no failures yet.

More
6 years 7 months ago #186587 by Fill
Replied by Fill on topic Fill's Bedford
Hi all thanks every one.
I think Swishy and Ray are on the money. As long as I do not put a grease nipple on the cap and pressure fill them.
Again thanks all for your input.
Cheers Fill

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
6 years 7 months ago #186589 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Fill's Bedford
Fill m80
Jist reread the above

Yanky trucks had EP140 oil in the diffs
@ the axle end they had a special double sided seal th@ kept the diff oil out of the greased bearings n kept the grease from entering the axle tube n diff oil
move n along many moons L8R
they now only run an oil seal on side of wheel hub n let the oil from diff recycle with the diff oil as the diff phil level is a touch higher than the bottom of axle tube so oil can flow out to wheel bearings
if playn with bearings U need to jack th@ wheel a bit higher to get the oil to run back into diff so U dun jist make a huge mess compared to a small mess :lol:
so the Q:? is
iz the diff oil phil level higher than the bottom of axle tube to allow oil to flo to wheel hub
cya
ยง

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
6 years 7 months ago #186597 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic Fill's Bedford
The only seal ever kept oil out of the hubs was the early Ford,where the seal was in a tin holder under the axle flange..

More
6 years 7 months ago #186623 by wee-allis
Replied by wee-allis on topic Fill's Bedford
Hinos use a hub seal and a seal at the end of the axle housing to stop diff oil getting into the bearings.

More
6 years 7 months ago #186624 by Fill
Replied by Fill on topic Fill's Bedford
Hi Swishy and all,
I made a mistake in my drawing- the axle shaft goes right thru (you will get the idea ). I am sorry to the other readers for dragging this out as a lot must be getting sick of it.
Thanks to those that
keep responding.
Cheers Fill
[img
100_3022 by fill quinn , on Flickr

More
6 years 7 months ago #186626 by Morris
Replied by Morris on topic Fill's Bedford
Fill,
We are not getting sick of it. We are learning, learning, learning. Keep up the good work.
My resto has mechanical brakes with NO adjustment at all!

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!

More
6 years 7 months ago #186634 by wouldyou
Replied by wouldyou on topic Fill's Bedford
Lift the seal from a new ball bearing and see the amount of grease in it, not a lot and they usually give good service.
David.

Time to create page: 0.566 seconds