Skip to main content

Fill's Bedford

More
6 years 7 months ago #187333 by Fill
Replied by Fill on topic Fill's Bedford
Hi all,
I was going to get my truck on the road before painting (to get all the bugs out of it) and then take the tray off so a painter could get all around the cabin.
What I plan to do now is cut a bit of rust out of the front guards where the park lights were, the rubber seal has sweated and caused rust. That was the only rust in the cabin.
I plan to bolt the cabin to the trolley and get a panel beater spray painter to come and have a look to see if it needs to be panel beaten before it goes to the bead blaster.
I plain to mount my winch on the front of my trailer which also has a brake to get it on and off the trailer. It will have to come on and off the trailer four times. I am taking out the three glass windows behind the cabin and wind screen. I can get new rubber seals
Questions:
Should I get two pack?
Should I get it blasted or sanded?
I live in Ferntree Gully Vic- does any one have any recommendations for a spray painter panel beater (for a good job, not for a cheap job).
Thanks in advance.
Cheers Fill

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
6 years 7 months ago #187335 by Dave_64
Replied by Dave_64 on topic Fill's Bedford
Fill, any chance you can post a pic or two of your trolley/dolly? I'm in the process of building something similar to move my cabin around the yard for a cab off repair. Dave

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
6 years 7 months ago #187336 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Fill's Bedford
Hint Hint
I find kids skate boards ideal for move n awkward objects ................. including furniture etc

Butt

Th@z me

cya

§

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
6 years 7 months ago #187338 by Dave_64
Not a bad idea for small items, Swishy, but would need about 35 of em to move a cab around!

More
6 years 7 months ago #187339 by Fill
Replied by Fill on topic Fill's Bedford
Hi Dave_ 64
The trolley that the cabin is on is very much over size in material. When I worked on building sites I picked up some 100mm x 100mm x 10mm angle free and got some castors from a second yard. I welded it together and put a 50mm chip board top on it.What it was built for, being a cabinet maker, was knocking up cabinets on and moving them around to save my back a bit.
Cheers Fill
[img
100_3024 by fill quinn , on Flickr
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave_64

More
6 years 7 months ago #187341 by PDU
Replied by PDU on topic Fill's Bedford
I must agree with Swishy; only last week I replaced what was left of the (twice reinforced and added to) $5 skate board that I bought at a trash and treasure market, at least thirty years ago!
I actually got carried away this time, totally replacing what was left of the woodwork, but retained the wheels of course. I even painted it!!! :dry:

That skate board has assisted me move house three or four times, plus several of my kids AND has even been used to move engines around the garage occasionally!
A bit like my great, great, grand-dads spade - you probably have one like it too, the one that has only had three new blades and four handles since it was originally bought . . . :whistle:
Attachments:

More
6 years 7 months ago #187351 by IHScout
Replied by IHScout on topic Fill's Bedford
Phil, great work. Keep it up. Rather than bead blasting, have look at soda blasting. I've not done either, but have heard soda blasting is the better way to go if you are just striping back paint and light rust. Also leaves a residue that protects the bare metal from rusting until you get paint on it.

As for what type of paint, I think the modern two pack finishes look out of place on old trucks, but if you have a good painter he can tone the shine down if you ask him. Modern paints are certainly more durable than what we had in the past.

Dennis

More
6 years 7 months ago #187368 by Dodgeydude
Replied by Dodgeydude on topic Fill's Bedford
I can't beat a $5 skateboard but you can buy s/hand pallet lifters under $100. Great lifting capacity and made to move heavy things around in tight spaces. You could get fancy and build custom frames for the cab, diff, engine etc. Not so good outside in the dirt but I have put a chain over the towball and dragged big bits around with her car. :kiss:

Many useful things fall off trucks

More
6 years 7 months ago #187377 by Mrsmackpaul
Replied by Mrsmackpaul on topic Fill's Bedford

IHScout wrote: As for what type of paint, I think the modern two pack finishes look out of place on old trucks, but if you have a good painter he can tone the shine down if you ask him. Modern paints are certainly more durable than what we had in the past.

Well after painting the Mack, my mate did the most important pieces and left the rubbish to me I learnt to reduce the shine on two pack reduce the amount of thinners or reducer or what ever you want to call it, however this gave me more orange peel
This may have nothing to do with thinners and everything to with my incompetence as a painter because Im pretty hopeless with a spray gun even a rattle can be a challenge for me

To my untrained eye I cant tell the difference between two pack and the other paint when they are both buffed and shined up

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
6 years 7 months ago #187380 by Dave_64
Fill,
got hold of an old hay feed out trailer (on 13" Torana wheels), which probably started life as a 6X4 box trailer frame, so nice and low. Although I got into it with the gas axe to reduce the weight by about half, then welded the broken frame up again.
Just at the point of adding an 8" rubber pump up barrow tyre to an old caravan jockey wheel as I have to drag it around on rough ground. Ruffasgutz, but good enough to be able to move the cabin around to work on (bad rust problems!) and let me use my box trailer again.
Cheers, Dave

Time to create page: 0.544 seconds