Skip to main content

Fill's Bedford

More
6 years 4 months ago #189793 by Fill
Replied by Fill on topic Fill's Bedford
Hi all
As you know I took the cab to the welder, I took it on a small trailer. It was lashed down well,and even though it looked top heavy it was not because of the weight of the trolley. And with all the windows and doors out wind could not blow it over. But yes it looked wrong.
[img
100_3046 by fill quinn , on Flickr
I took the cab to the panel beater, spray painter, all assembled for him to have a look. It looked a lot safer on the back of the K I A , he is going to start towards the end of January. Then wile it is there I will be back on to the brakes
I wish you all a safe and Happy New Year
Cheers Fill
[img
100_3092 by fill quinn , on Flickr
The following user(s) said Thank You: IHScout

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
6 years 4 months ago #189794 by Mrsmackpaul
Replied by Mrsmackpaul on topic Fill's Bedford
moving right along there fill

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
6 years 4 months ago #189806 by Morris
Replied by Morris on topic Fill's Bedford
Fill,
It won't be long before the Beddie is pulling the Kia out of trouble.

Have a happy New Year and a trouble-free 2018 with lots of time for restoration.

Morris.

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!

More
6 years 4 months ago #190102 by Fill
Replied by Fill on topic Fill's Bedford
Hi all
Thanks for the comments Morris and Mrsmackpaul
Happy new year my twelve month resto is now in its fourth year. It has been fantastic and one of the most frustrating things!
Any way what have I been up to, more tasks which no one will see that have to be done, and take time that will not be believed.
This is not very interesting but it is some thing to put on the Forum. I have stripped every thing off the cabin again- the panel beater wants to sand blast it and prime it first and wants to prepare it for painting before getting any other bits. So I have about twenty containers of nuts, bolts, screws, door locks, window winders access panels, and so on all labelled, just from the cabin strip down
With the bonnet,it will have to come on and off at least three times by the panel beater and at least once by me. So I made up a frame to hold the bonnet open. ( whether the grill is on or off ). Yes a bit of over kill when most would use a broom. I bent up two wires to take the spring load off the bonnet. there will be no need to take the springs off even when you take the whole spring mechanism off the fire wall The springs are hard to get off and on even in its most relaxed position.
As I said a lot that no will see.
Happy New Year to all Cheers Fill
[img
100_3102 by fill quinn , on Flickr
[img
100_3103 by fill quinn , on Flickr
[img
100_3104 by fill quinn , on Flickr
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave_64, Mrsmackpaul, Mairjimmy

More
6 years 4 months ago #190112 by Oilman
Replied by Oilman on topic Fill's Bedford
I know exactly how you feel............

It is all progress and finally adds up in the end.

1975 Atkinson, 180HP 6LXB Gardner, RTO910, 34000lb Rockwell on camelback

More
6 years 4 months ago #190113 by Morris
Replied by Morris on topic Fill's Bedford
Hello Fill,
yes, it is unbelievable how long some of those "little" tasks take. Keep in mind that although you think no one will see them, they do make a huge difference to the quality of the finished resto. Yours will be a concourse winner when you have finished and you will be very glad you put that extra time in. I know, because I took a lot of shortcuts and now I am embarrassed by the poor quality of the result.

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!

More
6 years 4 months ago #190120 by Sarge
Replied by Sarge on topic Fill's Bedford
Fill, I dont understand the trailer, I thought all your paint jobs were done in the lounge room. You do good work and good posting, thanks

Sarge B)
ACCO Owner, Atkinson dreamer.

More
6 years 4 months ago #190137 by IHScout
Replied by IHScout on topic Fill's Bedford
Hi Fill, You ingenuity continues to impress me. You always come up with great solutions to the problems you face, and I can see you have great patience too. Keep posting, I look forward to every new episode from you. :)

Dennis

More
6 years 4 months ago #190143 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic Fill's Bedford
Industrial sandblasters and bonnets arent a good mix.......customers used to accuse the blaster of walking on the bonnet,but its actually distortion caused by heat..........the guys used to cut heavy steel strapping on pipes with the nozzle..........just like an oxy torch,but quicker.........should of seen what a newbie did to a XJ6 Jag front metal......turned out to be ally..of all things.

More
6 years 4 months ago #190152 by 180wannabe
Replied by 180wannabe on topic Fill's Bedford
I'm with John K. I have seen too many Holden ute bodies and panels destroyed by sandblasting.
Fill, please make sure your sand blaster man knows what he is doing, and don't just take his word for it, try and talk to people he has done work for, and see some of his previous work on automotive bodies, or you could end up devastated.
I speak from experience.............., though in my case the crash repairer who was doing my Holden ute sent my front end panels away unbeknownst to me, to a local sand blaster, then rang up telling me my panels were no good, needless to say both of their services were no longer required!
The man who then took on, and finished, my ute was appalled. He paint-stripped my replacement panels and the body, and i ended up with a quality job from him, although the replacement bonnet is not as good as the original was, but that's not his fault.
Since then i have noticed from other restoration projects that i have followed, paint stripping seems to be a favoured approach to panels, and what i will be doing on my old Inter truck when i get to that step.
I have also heard that as sand blasting leaves a rough surface finish, unless this is filled completely before painting, the majority of the paint ends up in the valleys, and the peaks end up barely covered and will "surface rust" with time.

Time to create page: 0.514 seconds