Skip to main content

Fill's Bedford

More
6 years 4 months ago #190278 by Mrsmackpaul
Replied by Mrsmackpaul on topic Fill's Bedford
Some on here over the years have built big tubs and used molasses and water and let it soak

I was very skeptical about this but have tried it my self and it works just fine and is cheap as chips but takes a few weeks of soaking and washing

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
6 years 4 months ago #190279 by Mrsmackpaul
Replied by Mrsmackpaul on topic Fill's Bedford
Dunno what the cook will say about the molasses smell in the house though

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
6 years 4 months ago #190280 by Morris
Replied by Morris on topic Fill's Bedford
If she did not complain about spray painting in the loungeroom, she will probably not worry about molasses.

Molasses does work very well but you can see the rust forming as the steel dries! You need to use rust converter as soon as the water has run off and etch prime as soon as the converter is dry enough. The molasses takes a fair bit of washing off inside of panels and other places you cannot get a brush into. Been there, done that. I used it on small parts and tools and gave them a light spray of el-cheapo spray can paint.

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!

More
6 years 3 months ago - 6 years 3 months ago #190672 by Fill
Replied by Fill on topic Fill's Bedford
Hi all
Thanks for all your feed back. I like to have a lot of information before I make up my mind. I am going to get it blasted, I am going to take it to a company called Blast - N - Peen. The man in charge seems to have a lot of experience .One member said he had a car rust out were sand got in and was not removed. I have gone all over the cabin and filled holes in were sand would get into a void that could not be blown out. (Thanks for that )
[img
100_3105 by fill quinn , on Flickr
Blast-n-peen where involved in a sidchrome promotion
see the link below to view

Sorry not a truck resto but I found it very interesting
[img
100_3106 by fill quinn , on Flickr
Cheers Fill
Last edit: 6 years 3 months ago by Fill. Reason: working out the link function

More
6 years 3 months ago #190716 by Fill
Hi All,
It is just over twelve months since the brakes went wrong the last time and I chucked it in and sent it all to Adelaide. I have been busy at work and going out of my way not to touch them. I started the other day on them. Before this I replaced as many brass compression joints with steel that I could. The new brake line that I got are made from 80% copper and 20% Zinc which is used by a lot of high quality car manufacturers ( Mercedes Porsche ect ). It is very nice to use as it is soft and flares well. When you bend it and flare it, it goes hard .The steel line that I previously used I would not reach enough pressure on the brass compression joints to seal without stripping the thread. I decided to re anneal the flares. On straight copper this is done by heating it up to a cherry red and then let it slowly cool down. I tested this on some samples and it worked well.
I have done this only on the brass compression joints. Thanks for looking. Cheers Fill
I also put on a few more clips to stop it flexing- I did all this after consulting with a number of people.
So I have replaced the lines and got the front drums on.
[img
100_3112 by fill quinn , on Flickr
[img
100_3111 by fill quinn , on Flickr

More
6 years 3 months ago #190717 by Fill
[img
100_3110 by fill quinn , on Flickr
[img
100_3109 by fill quinn , on Flickr
It is starting to look like a barn find with all the dust.Thanks for looking Cheers Fill

More
6 years 3 months ago #190718 by Fill
[img
100_3108 by fill quinn , on Flickr
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sarge, tim, Dave_64

More
6 years 3 months ago #191027 by Fill
Hi all
If you remember I got a yellow gantry. I did some working out and decided it was too small to pick up the cabin. I only had three inches ( 75 mm ) each side I did not think that was enough room, each side to hang a chain block each side with three chain each side. I did not want to damage the cabin getting it on after I have spent a few thousand on the paint job. Being a bit of a tight arse, I got all my scrap metal, and went to the metal recycler and swapped it over for a H beam. The yellow beam had been welded in, so it was very hard to transport and store. I cut the H beam to a length of three meters ( ten foot ) so it would clear a semi trailer.and could flat pack it, because it all bolts together and when I have finished with it, It will be easier to sell. I had to buy six steel plates, some brace material and bolts. I already had the paint. Thanks for looking. Cheers fill
[img
100_3080 by fill quinn , on Flickr
[img
100_3127 by fill quinn , on Flickr
[img
100_3128 by fill quinn , on Flickr

More
6 years 3 months ago #191028 by Fill
[img
100_3116 by fill quinn , on Flickr

More
6 years 3 months ago #191030 by Sarge
Replied by Sarge on topic Fill's Bedford
I am happy to see you are back in the patio Fill, I assume it will be finished in the lounge to you usual exceptional standards. (It will match the coffee table if I remember rightly) :woohoo:

Sarge B)
ACCO Owner, Atkinson dreamer.

Time to create page: 0.530 seconds