Skip to main content

Nord Lock washers

More
7 years 3 months ago - 7 years 3 months ago #178835 by Dave_64
Nord Lock washers was created by Dave_64
Happened to be down at the bolt store today and was given a couple of 'Nord Lock' two piece washers to try. Anyone familiar with them and if so, have any luck with same?
Anyone not familiar with them they are two individual washers that are stuck together with some very light type of glue. Idea is they have a 'grip' between the two internal faces as well as on the outside faces. You put them on without any other type of washer (flat or spring).
When you torque your bolt/stud to the nut when tightening them up, they 'lock' into both the material being bolted e.g. say a chassis rail, each half of the Nord Lock and also the flat area of the nut or bolt head.
They are used where unusual forces or heavy vibration become a problem.
Any thoughts..........
Dave.
Last edit: 7 years 3 months ago by Dave_64. Reason: correction

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
7 years 3 months ago #178837 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Nord Lock washers
Cogz
Gudday M8

Jist guess n out side the square

IF the truck makers have a problem they'd probly use m

udders wordz
if it aint broke ...... dun fix it

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave_64

More
7 years 3 months ago #178840 by Zuffen
Replied by Zuffen on topic Nord Lock washers
I've come across them before and as best I understand they can't be re-used as the teeth on the washer go flat.

More
7 years 3 months ago #178842 by Dave_64
Replied by Dave_64 on topic Nord Lock washers
Yeah, gathered that they would be a once only use,
Just thought if you had hard-to-get bolts/nuts and they were going to stay on there, may be worth a try.

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
7 years 3 months ago #178844 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Nord Lock washers
Cogz M80
If U're worried just loktite m

= dun deel

Cya
§

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
7 years 3 months ago #178846 by Dave_64
Replied by Dave_64 on topic Nord Lock washers
Yeah, probably as good as anything. Got three wheelstuds with those mongrel unobtainable type threads, bolt man suggested that I get the studs and nuts cleaned up in a lathe and then as they shouldn't have to be removed again, secure em with those Nord Lock washers. Gave me a couple to try, so just thought I'd do so.
Dave

More
7 years 3 months ago #178848 by dieseldog
Replied by dieseldog on topic Nord Lock washers
24 hour Araldite is the go for bolts that won't be removed again. Its cheap, and once it goes off, the bolt can only be removed with heat. It also has the added bonus of filling the gap between the bolt and the part it is securing, thus stopping the movement which loosens the bolt.

More
7 years 3 months ago #178850 by Mrsmackpaul
Replied by Mrsmackpaul on topic Nord Lock washers

dieseldog wrote: 24 hour Araldite is the go for bolts that won't be removed again. Its cheap, and once it goes off, the bolt can only be removed with heat. It also has the added bonus of filling the gap between the bolt and the part it is securing, thus stopping the movement which loosens the bolt.

Yep this is the go or at least its the go on cane harvesters from new you need to wait the 24 hours for the Araldite to cure then shes all good

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
7 years 2 months ago #179665 by brisbeddy
Replied by brisbeddy on topic Nord Lock washers
Hi,
I am not sure how Araldite, good Stuff that it is, will be with the heat possible under hard braking, it might not be the best in this Application. I myself like Loctite for sticking Stuff together but there again it might not be the right Thing here either,
Sorry I really haven't been any help.
Cheers
Dieter
brisbeddy

It sucks to get old and decrepit !

More
7 years 2 months ago #179669 by dieseldog
Replied by dieseldog on topic Nord Lock washers
You need a gas axe to release Araldite. Even then the bolt will still be tight, and difficult to remove because the threads are full of powder from the decomposed Araldite. You can reuse the bolt by cleaning it in a wire wheel and running a tap down the nut/bolt hole.

I met a bloke once who carted cane with John Deere 3140 tractors. One day, one of them blew the head gasket and the dealer had none, so old mate pulled the head, cleaned everything up and glued the head with Araldite, using the old gasket, back down on the engine. It got him through the week until the new gasket arrived. The bodgy job still holding up, so they left it like that until the end of the crushing. Problem was when the came to pull the head off to fit the new gasket, they couldn't get it off. They tried lifting the head off with a bag lifter and it just lifted the tractor off the ground. Old mate put it all back together and traded it in pretty soon after that.

Time to create page: 0.445 seconds