Skip to main content

1965 F250’s Rejuvenation

More
3 years 1 month ago #219989 by Blackduck59
According to FelPro's site their head gaskets are true No Re-torque gaskets.
Cheers Steve
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mrsmackpaul, Urchy87

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 years 1 month ago #220012 by Urchy87
Replied by Urchy87 on topic 1965 F250’s Rejuvenation
Thanks Blackduck59. I found their website rather hard to navigate. Did come a cross a YouTube video which suggested checking the torque settings afterwords was not required.

Adventure before Dementia.

More
3 years 1 month ago #220016 by Blackduck59
Yep, their site is somewhat awkward.
See if this works, head gaskets are towards the end.
Cheers Steve
www.felpro.com/technical/tecblogs/clean-dry.html
The following user(s) said Thank You: Urchy87

More
3 years 1 month ago #220042 by Urchy87
Cheers mate, yep was able to read it.

More
3 years 3 weeks ago #220305 by Urchy87
Happy Easter to all.

Haven’t done much but do have a progress report.......I have it somewhat idling as it should.

Got home from work early today and had a mate drop around. We stripped the carby down and gave it a blow out with the air compressor. The adaptor plate for the carby had 2 spots where the bolts mount and there is minimal surface area for sealing so I filled them to provide a certain seal. Quick play with the mixture screws and we were there. Not actually certain what fixed it as no real gunk came out of the carby. Perhaps there was a significant vacuum leak from the adaptor plate.

Now I have a normal idle RPM I will set the timing correctly and finalise the tune. Fingers crossed from there it’s happy days in regards to the motor. The PCV has a small vacuum leak on it but that’s easy fixed.

I was able to test the clutch out after rebuilding the master and slave for it and having them installed for a while. Slotted straight into gear with no issues at all. It’s up on stands but it was great to see it all working as it should. First gear is an absolute granny gear. Hardly rotates the hubs with a decent rev, won’t be using it too often.

It was good to tick those two items off as working.

The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Mrsmackpaul, PaulFH, asw120, wee-allis, oliver1950

More
3 years 3 weeks ago #220310 by Mrsmackpaul
Winner winner chicken dinner

Well done, it wont be long now before the wheels are on the deck and things are moving

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
3 years 3 weeks ago #220315 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic 1965 F250’s Rejuvenation
You might think first is a granny gear,but with a couple of ton on youll be struggling to get started on a slight hill up to an intersection.......I think one time I went over the weighbridge in the scrapyard at 6 tons,and plenty of 3 ton loads when the council made me clean up the yard.......You will have either the NP box ,or maybe the BW T98A.,both have a first of around 8 to 1.

More
3 years 2 weeks ago - 3 years 2 weeks ago #220321 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic 1965 F250’s Rejuvenation
Urchy

Your comment on the carburetor interested me. How many times have I (and everybody else) taken a sick carby off a car, bike, tractor or lawnmower. Pulled it apart, found absolutely nothing, stuck it back on and it ran perfectly??

Lang
Last edit: 3 years 2 weeks ago by Lang.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
3 years 2 weeks ago #220328 by Urchy87
Cheers Mrsmackpaul, hope to get the brakes sorted in the next few weeks. Still deciding on what I do tyre wise. Once the brakes are back on I’ll fit it all up and check my offsets.

JOHN.K, yep it has the NP435. Will certainly be worth having if I use it for any work. Not sure what I will do with it in the long run. Hope to be purchasing some land again soon so it might be a work horse again before too long.

Lang, yeah, it’s crazy how often things like that happen. Whatever it was I’m not complaining that’s for sure. Glad to have it mostly sorted.

In other news it was given a few berries in the process yesterday and the head made no bad noises after the rebuild. Was actually surprised at how free revving it is. I’ll sort out a new water pump and fingers crossed that will be all of the money I need to spend on the motor side of things............for the roadworthy anyway.

The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
3 years 2 weeks ago - 3 years 2 weeks ago #220344 by cobbadog
Replied by cobbadog on topic 1965 F250’s Rejuvenation
One carby that took some sorting was a high speed one off a whipper snipper. Would not run so fitted a gasket kit, was better but still not right. After soaking in paint thinners for 2 days and using both compresed air at low presure and a spray gun cleaning kit which for $5.00 came with all sorts of probes and cleaners and best of all a tapered pricker that made its way inside a gallery and picked out a small amount of old fuel (lacquer) and that was the problem. Always empty the fuel tank and run them dry now.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.
Last edit: 3 years 2 weeks ago by cobbadog.

Time to create page: 0.565 seconds