Skip to main content

Another Bedford

More
2 years 5 months ago #227672 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic Another Bedford
This is fascinating.

The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Southbound, V8Ian, oliver1950, Colin HD

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
2 years 5 months ago #227687 by Colin HD
Replied by Colin HD on topic Another Bedford
Second attempt on the horn button turned out much better.
I’ll let it fully cure, before hitting it with the grinder an sandpaper to round it off.

The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, cobbadog, Lang, Mrsmackpaul, PaulFH

More
2 years 5 months ago #227689 by wee-allis
Replied by wee-allis on topic Another Bedford
Come on Colin, what made you think you cold put up 3 pictures of your beast and not have to give us the full story? It's a "Need to Know" basis and I need to know.
Steve.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Morris, Colin HD

More
2 years 5 months ago #227745 by Colin HD
First pass on the bench grinder.

800 wet & Dry

A quick polish.

The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, cobbadog, Lang, Mrsmackpaul, PaulFH, oliver1950

More
2 years 5 months ago #227748 by 600Dodge
Replied by 600Dodge on topic Another Bedford
Ive seen people on youtube doing full table tops with that clear resin, some look to be 4 inches thick, did you end up using less hardner for the successful version?
I'd like to set some items in resin but I don't like the thought of ruining them if the resin cracks.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
2 years 5 months ago #227749 by Colin HD

did you end up using less hardner for the successful version? .
No, 600Dodge, just poured it a bit lower.
Think the problem first time was a metal badge in a Coke can an 2 inches of resin, literally a boiling pot.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
2 years 5 months ago #227750 by Colin HD
This time, instead of just piling the resin on top, I filled a small plastic container and dropped a nut in.

The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Lang, PaulFH, oliver1950

More
2 years 5 months ago - 2 years 5 months ago #227756 by Lang
My Dodge name plates.

Hard to find and $US30 for repros. So got some of the rubber stuff - I actually think it is silicon - from the local artist's sculpture casting bloke. Cleaned up an old plate and poured the two-pack rubber over it. A perfect mould resulted. Perfect repros are now available just using the hobby resin found at Bunnings and can not be identified from original once screwed on the vehicle.

A bloke with a civilian Dodge wanted plates but he had a rounded bonnet not flat like the military. Easy fixed by pulling the plate out of the mould while still floppy and pressing it to shape against the bonnet until the final hardening.

I have done about 30 and can do 3 an hour or more if I boost the hardner. The casting bloke says the mould should be good for 1,000 uses. No wax or release agent is required just peel the mould off.

This photo is of a post-war green steel plate with thinner letters but that is about what they come out like and my original mould pattern (a cleaned up WW2 plate with the thicker letters)

Last edit: 2 years 5 months ago by Lang.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, cobbadog, PaulFH, someguy, oliver1950, Colin HD

More
2 years 5 months ago #227772 by Colin HD
Nice Lang, well done they look authentic.

Me being a cheapskate, used just normal bathroom silicone, I’m an officially certified YouTube technician!
Didn’t work that well for the lens, so will have to purchase the ‘real’ stuff.

More
2 years 5 months ago #227773 by Lang
I just wandered into the casting bloke's shop and he gave me enough silicon in a coffee jar with a bit of the Part B in the bottom of his working bottle. No charge.

Ask around the art community for the blokes who do all their repetition stuff or fancy lost-wax sculptures

Lang
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, cobbadog

Time to create page: 0.532 seconds