Skip to main content

Bedford restoration with Chassis extension.

More
2 years 8 months ago #224240 by Bitsa
G'day MrsMack and PaulH
Pump cost me more than everthing else put together, but i'm not planning on selling it, going to be a life long junk collector / toy hauler. The PTO is also new , but i just got lucky on a website in Good ole England and got it incl Del for 134Pounds Sterling, i think about $280 or so.
Swishy. I learnend how to engage the PTO the hard way about 46yrs ago, won't make that mistake again

1990NKR Isuzu&&1974 D1310 4x4&&195? Chamberlain Dere Backhoe&&743B Bobcat&am
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
2 years 8 months ago #224241 by Bitsa
PaulFH,
I was thinking of using a piece of 150mm x 10mm C Section as a combination rear Bumper / Crossmember
I don't think i need another one between the last 2 as they are not as far apart as they look in the happy snaps, only about 1200mm. I also have a piece of 6mm folded up to go inside the rails over the Join to add a bit of bracing.
Cheers
Alistair

The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH

More
2 years 8 months ago - 2 years 8 months ago #224466 by Bitsa
Sanding Sanding Sanding
The more we sand the more rust we find, but overall, it’s not too bad

Attachments:
Last edit: 2 years 8 months ago by hayseed. Reason: inserted pics
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, cobbadog, PaulFH

More
2 years 8 months ago #224467 by hayseed
https://www.hcvc.com.au/forum/attachment/24011

Is that Telecom Orange Bitsa..??

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

More
2 years 8 months ago #224468 by JOHN.K.
I had two complete new /unused cutoff back ends from the late 4x4 Bedfords,ex Telstra/telecom........i dont know ,but they must have converted them to 6x6.....Ive never seen them.........Seen plenty of the big 4x4 s come thru the Telecom auctions,and two came thru the BCC plant auction at the WSS......they were used as patrol vehicles at the Wivenhoe dam......Same auction there was a WW2 jeep and two Ford blitzes.,all ex the Somerset dam .....talk about frenzy......the council auctioneer couldnt get a start on the jeep ,people who'd never been to an auction kept yelling out crazy money.

More
2 years 8 months ago #224469 by Bitsa
Gday Hayseed
You hit the nail on the head
Was Telecom first, then a horse stud out Denman way NSW, then to a quarry in the same area , they were the ones to brake it’s back with a 10,000 L water tank on it, then I got my mits on it

More
2 years 8 months ago #224470 by cobbadog
The amount of rust you know about usually ends up being about 60% of the full amount of rust actually in the vehicle. The more you look the more you will find. Mind you, what I have seen is not bad at all.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.

More
2 years 8 months ago #224472 by JOHN.K.
Pommy sheetmetal is usually several thicknesses spot welded for stiffness........sandblasting is the only way of making sure you wont be seeing rust boils twelve months after repainting.

More
2 years 8 months ago #224473 by Bitsa
I think you are spot on there JohnK
Unfortunately, this is a bit of a rush job as we have our place up for sale, and I will need it with the hiab to help pack up and move
The cab doesn’t seem too bad up front but the rear of it inside on the parcel shelf is really bad
I’ve sealed it up for now but it is going to need a replacement shelf or possibly a good cab to paint up properly and drop it on
I’m not too worried about it as it should look ok when done, but hey- it’s a truck that’s been used and abused most of its life, and I still want to put a few miles on her yet so I don’t mind a few battle scars showing up
So long as she is safe and everything works as it should, that’s all I want
Cheers all
Alistair

More
2 years 8 months ago - 2 years 8 months ago #224476 by Bitsa
Another question for the brains trust
Although she runs ok, she blows a bit of soot
I was thinking(dangerous), that it might be worth putting a larger air cleaner or maybe even a turbo to cram a bit more air in there, not looking for power, just trying to eliminate a bit of soot
The original air cleaner has a 4 inch inlet
The pipe from the cleaner to the inlet manifold has a 2 1/2 inch hose and the air cleaner base has an asmatic. 1 1/4 outlet hole in it
Doesn’t make sense.

Attachments:
Last edit: 2 years 8 months ago by Sarge.

Time to create page: 0.550 seconds