Skip to main content

Laser derusting machine

More
2 years 3 months ago - 2 years 2 months ago #230407 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic Laser derusting machine
I am beginning to suspect I might have been scammed, no sign yet.
Last edit: 2 years 2 months ago by hayseed. Reason: ooops
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
2 years 3 months ago #230432 by prodrive
Replied by prodrive on topic Laser derusting machine
Hurry up and get it will you Lang?
I've been trying to think of a way to actually DISSOLVE rust- I know it seems impossible, but think about the rust that gets between chassis rails. As far as I can tell, there are two ways to remove it- 1) smash the rails it with a sledge hammer, the rust eventually breaks out, and the rails gradually close up. But man, it's like the worst job ever and it's really not going to fix much more than accessible small bits of chassis. 2) split the chassis. and thats not exact;y a job for the weekend with a few beers.
So I've always wondered- is there a product, that will actually disolve the rust?
I've seen these magical de- rusting machines from China too, and I've been hoping that yours, Lang, wil be the amazing all fix mega blaster chassis repairer..
I know I'm dreaming...
But I'd still like to see it try!
Cheers
Rich
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, PaulFH

More
2 years 3 months ago #230435 by asw120
Replied by asw120 on topic Laser derusting machine
I had thoughts of a diamond tipped cutting tool on one of those reciprocating multi tool things that look like an angle grinder. The rails on my White are a bit ordinary...

Jarrod.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, PaulFH

More
2 years 3 months ago #230438 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic Laser derusting machine
The one time owner of the White found a set of ally chassis rails for it,and was going to fit them,but about then he and a mate decided to go building houses.....I think Jim may have been a carpenter by trade......anyway ,they did more drinking than building,and it didnt work out.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH, asw120

More
2 years 3 months ago - 2 years 3 months ago #230472 by cobbadog
Replied by cobbadog on topic Laser derusting machine
I cant see the laserbeing able to get deep inside 2 layers of metal or a saw that will jamb up or make the gap wider. A liquid to dissolve the rust in that situation is the only solution. (pun intended). So the rust converters will help but not remove the scale. Brute force ith the FBH and a thin blade to help hook it all out. Most effiecient way is to split the chassis rails, sorry.
Alloy chassis rails would be a long term disaster as at every point that steel touches it they will corrode. Some caravans went down that road and the owners are not singing the praises of it all. Benefits were suppose to be less weight so higher load capacity b ut they are finding that the extra expense for the minimum weight gain was not worth it and some are finding cracks now.

Lang, sorry that it appears that maybe a scam has happened. I had it happen to me a long time back but PayPal came to the rescue once I made a complaint. Before doing that I had made many attempts to contact the seller who kept claiming the items were sent and could not provide tracking or the name of the deeeeeelivery service he sent them with.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.
Last edit: 2 years 3 months ago by cobbadog.

More
2 years 3 months ago #230511 by paulc20
Replied by paulc20 on topic Laser derusting machine

Alloy chassis rails would be a long term disaster as at every point that steel touches it they will corrode. Some caravans went down that road and the owners are not singing the praises of it all. Benefits were suppose to be less weight so higher load capacity b ut they are finding that the extra expense for the minimum weight gain was not worth it and some are finding cracks now.

My 1975 Kenworth has aluminium chassis rails, no corrosion that I have seen.

Paul
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
2 years 3 months ago #230517 by JOHN.K.
Jarrods White had aluminium cross members including a big cast ally front engine mount when i worked on it..............incidentally,when you work on ally chassis etc ,you are supposed to paint all the mating faces with some sort of special goo............The same year Whites all had optional complete ally chassis,including suspension mounts.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Mrsmackpaul, PaulFH

More
2 years 3 months ago #230519 by JOHN.K.
As to heavy rust....the most effective method of removing heavy scale is flame torch ,the bigger torch,the quicker the rust is gone.......and I do mean gone ......the thick stuff explodes away ,the lighter rust turns to loose white powder.................With G size oxy and a big LP ,and the biggest rose the gas will burn,flame scaling is quicker than sandblasting with 350cfm .......alls needed is a wire brush to dislodge the loose white stuff .......no effort ,just a brush.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, PaulFH, oliver1950

More
2 years 3 months ago #230520 by JOHN.K.
AS to the ally White chassis rails,they are now under the late Ron Russ house to make a clearspan workshop space where he set up his motorbike engine machining workshop.
The following user(s) said Thank You: asw120

More
2 years 3 months ago #230530 by cobbadog
Replied by cobbadog on topic Laser derusting machine
For as long as I can remember I was told not to let alminium to steel as it corrodes quickly. Interesting that at some stage it was recommended to paint in between them. But with all the vibratons of driving on our delightful roads a bit of paint wouldn't last long you would think.

Must try the buning off of scale rust next time.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.

Time to create page: 0.476 seconds