Skip to main content

To Rivet, or not to Rivet

More
13 years 8 months ago - 13 years 8 months ago #26459 by Gitfinger
Hey thanks muchly, Ron, that's incredibly cool of you. I'll pass but only because a) I have a lot of rivets to pop and don't want to put that much wear on your reamer and b) I'm clumsy; I'll probably stuff it anyway through mishandling - better to wreck my own tool than a borrowed one! Really appreciate the offer though.

And yeah, I'm not far off, in Bayswater. I have two Italian bikes in metric and four other hunks of junk in Imperial so I guess I'm bilingual. :)

Cheers!
Martyn

One day I aspire to having a sig line...
Last edit: 13 years 8 months ago by Gitfinger.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

13 years 8 months ago #26460 by
Replied by on topic Re: To Rivet, or not to Rivet
Martyn

Ok you cant put up a photo with something hiding of to the side ?? what is it.

Also you got the picture thing sorted but you just need to reduce the size to 800 x 600 before loading to photobucket.

Trevor

13 years 8 months ago - 13 years 8 months ago #26461 by
Martyn - This restoration/repair game is all about helping fellow travellers with the same problems as the rest of us. I'd be stuffed if I couldn't borrow items, even though I have a big range of tools myself. It also helps having a mate with a machine shop, and neighbours around my shop that help out with knowledge and equipment. Any time you need assistance, I'm happy to help out.

Ron.

More
13 years 8 months ago - 13 years 8 months ago #26462 by Gitfinger
Sorry gents! I have a big monitor at home and it didn't even occur to me - looks awful on my small one at work - will fix it as soon as I get home. I need my FTP client, can't do it here.

Ron thanks again. You guys are tops! I'm sure I'll come up with something I'll have to borrow at some point, if you're game.

Sorry re the other thing Trevor, it's nothing exciting, just a '29 Dodge DA6 tourer which I'm hotrodding. It's getting a blown hemi, underfloor pimp lights, one of those wicked must-have skull-shaped shifter knobs...just kidding. :) It'll be a stock resto provided I can actually get my act together and get on with it some time.

Back on topic, here's a pic or two of getting the rear spring hangers off the ALF. That went pretty well, the big question will be, can I get them back on again in anything resembling acceptable fashion? :)

More
13 years 8 months ago #26463 by Thunders-Truk
Martyn, re the Lafrance, at first glance it reminds me of the old racers of the early 20's - 30's, so to make it easy just bung a seat on it, then hang a boat tail out of ally on the rear end and go racing, I doubt anyone will notice the difference. Don't forget to wear white overalls and a white soft leather racing helmet, and don't forget the leather goggles with the split lenses.
Oh, and what's wrong with a blown hemi and the skull shaped shifter knob, I'll agree on the pimp lights though, yuk!
Just kidding, but I'd kill for the hemi, now if I could just shoehorn one into the wife's PT Cruiser that would be a blast. ;)
Tony ;D

TONY C. (SA)&&&&LIFE'S TOO SHORT TO DRIVE BORING VEHICLES !!

More
13 years 8 months ago - 13 years 8 months ago #26464 by Gitfinger
Funny you should say that Tony, because the design was actually more or less pinched from the 1900s Mercedes chain-drive racers. So yeah, you end up with a fairly sporty look. These machines looked kinda sporty straight out of the factory gates. :)

And no, nothing wrong with hemis at all, I was just going for a kind of comic escalation there. I take issue with you over skull shifter knobs though. At least, chrome ones with red LED eyes. :P

More
13 years 8 months ago #26465 by ray
Replied by ray on topic Re: To Rivet, or not to Rivet
G'day Gitfinger, jeez you are bringing back memories with the DA Dodge, I helped the father-in-law restore one of those back in the early seventies. Got her registered the day before we went on the boat to Tassy for the national rally. Also had to fix the clutch on a Siddeley Deasey while over there. Good fun.

More
9 years 9 months ago - 9 years 9 months ago #26466 by Gitfinger
Just popping in to say 'hello' and I'm sorry I disappeared like that. Excuses, I got a million; my mum came down with cancer and turned her toes up, I fell through a roof and broke my back and various other bits of real life happened. My shed ended up a disaster zone for quite a while (emptied my mum's estate into it), suffice to say I've made no progress at all since 2010. :o

I've not forgotten the nice reception from you folks though and will start posting again off and on. The shed mess is more or less sorted and I'm at last back on the ALF, currently cutting the taper I need in my chassis rails. I really badly want to weld them up again myself. But as I have a K-mart stick welder and the skills of a gibbon, does anyone think that might be a bad idea? Thought so. :P

Blaaarg, just realised I never actually started my own thread so I'm hijacking here...sorry!!! :-[

Last edit: 9 years 9 months ago by Gitfinger.

More
9 years 9 months ago #26467 by Bugly
Replied by Bugly on topic Re: To Rivet, or not to Rivet
Welcome back, Gitfinger!! [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

1948 Fordson E83W 10/10 pickup

9 years 9 months ago #26468 by
Dont worry about it mate it's the norm on here to pinch some one else thread :'(. Dave

Time to create page: 0.545 seconds