Skip to main content

Re Silvering Headlights

More
11 years 8 months ago - 11 years 8 months ago #60817 by Mick_Marsh

Billy - Mick Marsh

I think you will find they have a rolled over edge on them and they are a throw away.

? What are they from.

Trevor

A 1964 International No1 Mk3 GS
I have plenty of sealed beam headlights that will fit but I am keen to not have to change the plug.
Last edit: 11 years 8 months ago by Mick_Marsh.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
11 years 8 months ago #60818 by Morris
Replied by Morris on topic Re: Re Silvering Headlights
Do not, repeat DO NOT chrome plate headlight reflectors.
Chrome looks pretty but it will not reflect anywhere enough light to enable it to be used as a reflector.

Silver is the way to go. (that is why it is referred to as re-silvering your reflectors)

I am told there is another metal that is as good as silver and does not tarnish. It is more expensive than silver. I will tell you what it is called when I remember! (maybe it is platinum? talk about old-timers disease) However, if the headlight is re-assembled with all gaskets, etc., as new it should be moisture proof and should not tarnish for many years.

Regarding chrome on Chevrolets, yes, 1929 was the first year they used chrome but only on parts such as wheel rings (they sit over the wheel nuts, under the hubcap) and the headlight outer RIMS, never on the reflectors.

Morris.

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!

More
11 years 8 months ago - 11 years 8 months ago #60819 by mammoth
Replied by mammoth on topic Re: Re Silvering Headlights
Jolly Rogers are USA where they drive on the wrong side of the road, and similarly they will only stock lights that point the wrong way.
Mick - so you want to spend $100 on silver rather than $10 on a plug???
Last edit: 11 years 8 months ago by mammoth.

More
11 years 8 months ago #60820 by Mick_Marsh

Jolly Rogers are USA where they drive on the wrong side of the road, and similarly they will only stock lights that point the wrong way.

You got it.
Silvering is a little cheaper than that though.

• Topic Author
11 years 8 months ago #60821 by
Replied by on topic Re: Re Silvering Headlights

You got it.

Mick

Mine cost me $90 for the pair including postage, i think i would rather pay $10 on a plug unless you are so attached to the lights.

Trevor

More
11 years 8 months ago #60822 by Mick_Marsh

You got it.

Mick

Mine cost me $90 for the pair including postage, i think i would rather pay $10 on a plug unless you are so attached to the lights.

Trevor

Thanks for the advice Trevor.
I am following a dream. I have a few restoration projects on the go. This is my first truck. I only have a car licence so I am getting a HR licence so I can drive this truck. This is costing me a little under $1,000.
I estimate I will be spending around $10,000 to "preserve" this vehicle. If I wanted to continue and restore it, the bill would probably amount to $20,000 (based on other peoples experience with this type of vehicle).
I think the difference between $90 and $10 is somewhat insignificant.

Vehicle restoration, true vehicle restoration, taking the vehicle back to original specs, is not for the feint hearted. It's not about slapping a bit of paint on it. The paint has to be the original pigment. A fellow I know who restored a 1950's car had custom made, at great expense, a battery that was exactly the same as when the car was on the show room floor. He couldn't have a Massey bought at Kmart. His car took out first place in a world class concours against international entrants.

I would recommend those interested in restoration, to watch a tv program called "Restoring Dreams".

Back to the light problem, any advice in achieving my goals would be much appreciated.

• Topic Author
11 years 8 months ago - 11 years 8 months ago #60823 by
g'day all .. excuse me for being off topic but this last comment struck a chord ...

...just reading what Mick-Marsh had to say about true vehicle restoration, and my comments on this very subject early in the piece, got me into a whole lot of trouble with ivor project, when only fairly new to the forum....

...just ask Jimmy on the spot what it is like to attempt an 'enth degree restoration on an S model kenworth ....no task for the light of wallet or the faint hearted and attempting this style of work, applied to the bigger trucks, is not yet well appreciated and extremely difficult to execute....cheers

ps .. very nice work on your reflectors SloSpeed

More
11 years 8 months ago #60824 by mammoth
Replied by mammoth on topic Re: Re Silvering Headlights
With cars it is easy to know what spec you are restoring to as it was show room and that's it. Different with hand built trucks as there was no single, same, catalogue spec, and do you restore it to the first rebuild, Uncle Joe's conversion to tipper, Bob's conversion to bogie drive in 1959, or the yard truck as found? Every version of the same truck has it's historical significance and can be equally valid as a restoration. my two bobs worth. :-X

• Topic Author
11 years 8 months ago - 11 years 8 months ago #60825 by
...good and valid point mammoth .. restoring a truck is like saying ''i'll restore a taxi''...why would you bother?

working jiggers of any description never really have the luxury of being ''restored to original''...but a factory fresh rendition of what they appeared like on the floor, is still a decent thing some people aspire to....

....that's the guts of where a hard core restorer sits....

... excuse me again for the off topic discussion

Time to create page: 0.502 seconds